South Africa(Kruger/Cape Town)and Hong Kong-SA J ,CX F/J and hotels

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by olmangsr, May 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Everyone,

This is the recap of our trip to South Africa from last year.We spent a wonderful 9 days in the Kruger area and Cape Town followed by a short stopover in Hong Kong.To get there we used (pre-devaluation) United miles on the outbound and Alaska miles to get back.Originally we were booked on CX F all the way from Johannesburg but they retired the 747 on the route earlier than expected so we were downgraded to J on a 3 class 77W,though life I know.

Introduction
    South African Airways Business Class New York to Johannesburg
    Sausage Tree Safari Camp,Hoedspruit
    POD Camps Bay,Cape Town
    Cathay Pacific Business Class Johannesburg to Hong Kong
    Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui ,Regency Suite,Hong Kong
    Cathay Pacific First Class Hong Kong to New York

Anyways hope you like it.Until next time...

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your comprehensive and insightful review. :)

A couple of mood points incl. IMHO:

Which other hotel would you book when paying "out of pocket" in Hong Kong, which property would be "better" for what the Hyatt Regency does offer for the same "cash amount" in regards of location, inclusions and room choices?

Would be interesting to know.

In regards to the POD Cape Town, the "no food after 11am" issue would be a big problem for us, so we wouldn't book this particular hotel as we like the idea to eat in hotels, especially after a day out sightseeing or relaxing.

3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I like the Hotel ICON.Location might be somewhat "secluded"(requires a 10 minute walk from TST station) but it's a gorgeous property.Modern rooms,great food,insane pool&gym and it's the teaching hotel for the School of Hotel and Tourism management so service is stellar.

Yeah I can see that but there are many places to eat and the neighborhood(or you can order as well and have it on your balcony).Camps Bay is fantastic but hotels in the area aren't that good.I'd rather have a beautiful hotel and deal with a small inconvenience like that one.
    Btw if you're staying in that area The Twelve Apostles is another good option.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply, yes, I've read/heard a lot about the ICON in Hong Kong, a fascinating property and their concept seems to be "one of a kind" especially seen against other hotels. In regards to Cape Town/Camps Bay hotels, the POD might be the best option in the Camps Bay area, thanks for the recommendation of the Twelve Apostles, a legendary hotel. Cheers.

5. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much--great trip report. We are doing the same return next summer on CX, and decided to expend more points to fly Qatar over SAA. From your trip report, sounds like we made the right call.

uggboy likes this.
  6. chrisontour84

chrisontour84 Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever been to other safaris like Serengeti and can you compare them to Kruger?

uggboy likes this.