Sort thread by most liked posts?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by noam, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the idea of "liking" a post is that you can highlight posts you either agree with or you believe provide good content, it seems like it would make sense to sort a thread's posts by the number of likes it has received.

I don't see an obvious way to do this in the interface today, so is this something that could be added?

2. scoow
    Original Member

scoow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I totally disagree. Most thread read logically in a chronological order - one post responding to those above. If you mix up the order of the posts, the thread would make no sense.

As I posted elsewhere, I would like to be able to search for "likes". For instance, if I'm looking for information on Delta's low award redemptions, the posts on the subject with many "likes" will probably be the most useful. So, I would love to be able to filter search results by subject as well as number of likes.

Dovster likes this.
  3. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do agree that normally I would want the filtering capability you mention, but I could still see a desire to sort by likes. Take, for instance, a long running thread where there is a valuable post in the middle. A quick sort could bring it to the top, but you clearly wouldn't want to read the whole thread that way.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Some forums have a little icon next to thread titles to indicate "hot" threads. Would that help?

Here we do have "Trending Topics" on the main forum page, and the number of replies next to a thread are some indication of current popularity.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to be able to search for the most liked threads, and an option to sort search results by likes would also be handy.

SC Flier likes this.
  6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Searching for likes on the first post would be extremely useful. I think the bigger issue is how important information can sometimes be buried in the middle of a thread. Maybe a table of contents for the thread could be used if there is something important that because of merged topics/cross posting forces a discussion to be buried down.

7. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do like forums where one can dig out "most popular" or "most recommended" (e.g. NY Times) posts from a thread.