Sorry But UA Is Not Very Good - Elite Status Included!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PhilipGilsenan, Sep 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. PhilipGilsenan

PhilipGilsenan Active Member

Status Points:
    This is for the person who decided to comment on UA's elite status. You sound like you work for UA. First of all - silver elite is the pits - it is basicly the same a coach with a few extra perks. It has lost much of it integrity over the years. I have been flying UA and CO for 20 years and they have destroyed a great program for the sake of profits. In the past 3 years I have experienced so many problems I cannot count they all. For those of us who have many years of experience - believe - we know what has been lost. UA tries to make you believe their service is top notch - but it is not.

Second, yes regular customers are treated poorly and I would certainly be one of the first to say - boycott flying and tell the airline that their service is the pits. People do have the power of their own destiny!

tldeas50 and MX like this.
  2. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yawn :rolleyes:

Sometimes the oldies are the goodies.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

8MiHi, cvsara, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like free beer and bacon. Oops wrong thread.;)

8MiHi, brodyf, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That leads to poop.

rggale, The Boat, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  5. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:

Moooooo!
    (with apologies to Unavaca ;))

rggale, IDGflygirl, unavaca and 4 others like this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

unavaca, Gtitan and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No airline is very good for the economy class non elite pax. That was the point of the other thread.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the ones of us who are non elite pax (until later this year anyway), we don't expect great service...unless we are flying international where they are run by any American owned companies.

9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    ???? That's a joke, right? :confused:

rggale and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I forgot the ;) at the end.

rggale, Counsellor and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:

I like being elite, it is teh only time that someone addresses me as "Sir" without teh following attached thereto, "You're making a scene.";)

13. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what you get when a lawyer paraphrases a Simpsons quote.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A for-profit company doing anything for the sake of profit?! What a :cool: concept!

15. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:

You sound like you work for Delta.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Commodore 64 @ 2400 baud

KENNECTED and rggale like this.
  16. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I used to go out of my way to fly United because of the benefits of silver. Now I choose an airline solely based on price and convenience. The airlines who downgrade loyalty incentives downgrade loyalty.

17. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:

Agreed, might as well fly whatever airline unless you are Gold or higher with the ability to book in E+. If you are out of SFO Virgin is a much better airline.

18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was AA Gold then CO Silver for a long time before my travel habits changed, and my status with it. Thinking back to that time, I would have felt quite slighted by the new MileagePlus treatment of Silver.

Today's new mega-airlines are going to continue to move in this direction out of necessity. Catering elite benefits to 25,000 mile per year pax is no longer a practical loyalty model. The large number of people in the merged programs makes it impossible to treat flyers the same as historically precedented, as there just aren't enough XLR seats and upgrades to meet previously set expectations. Add in the hub to hub traffic, and there would be great inequity in distribution of benefits. Heck... There are already major problems doing so with higher tier elites.

Acceptance is the only real solution to the evolving FF programs benefits and requirements. It's not ever going to return to the good old days. If today's flyers find E+ seats and upgrades important, then using CC-earned miles or good old fashioned money is going to be the means to acquisition for low level elites. Bashing UA because they don't or can't meet one's expectations isn't going to change a thing. It just is what it is.

8MiHi and brfong like this.
  19. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. FF programs are evolving so that they continue to be beneficial to the carrier. Anyone who believes that any airline is going to continue to give away the same benefits that they gave when load factors were under 65% now that they are over 80% is likely to be disappointed. I do think that the PQD requirement will slow the further erosion of benefits for now.

20. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Respectfully disagree. I don't think lower tier elites are going to be helped by PQD.

21. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm holding out hope that for very high spend fliers we'll see some modest soft product enhancements.

I'm also holding out hope that Santa Claus actually exists so I might not be a good litmus test.

22. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the sentiment that a 25,000 mile elite tier is impractical. Think about how many people actually fly 25,000 miles per year-- a lot. That's 5 SFO-EWR round trips per year. If you're from EWR living in SFO, that's Christmas, Easter/spring, Thanksgiving, and a couple random weekends throughout the year on leisure travel, not including any potential business or other personal travel. At $300-450 a clip, it really isn't that expensive nor unrealistic for the average income-producing professional, hell even young professional, to accomplish. I have a friend who lives in LA, is basically broke, and she still manages to find a way to maintain silver every year on significantly less than $2500 spend. She's loyal, but not really what I think UA or any airline would consider to be someone that needs to be handsomely rewarded for their loyalty with elite status.

ETA also this thread sucks.

23. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have done a status match switch from United to Delta Silver and am quite happy. On Delta you can get into an emergency row for no charge at booking - United makes those seats E+. You can by an EC seat for half price at booking and availability if EC seats at 24 hours before check in is good. I have yet to see a free upgrade to First on Delta and suspect those are few and far between. And no free upgrades on Delta to/from Hawaii. And I can always status match from Delta back to United. The quality of Delta is indistinguishable from United in my opinion. Better to be a Silver somewhere than nowhere so if you are losing your status on United this year, try a status match to another airline.

24. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember you can only status match once in your life.

8MiHi and KenInEscazu like this.
  25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a very important piece of information. When I left AA, I decided to status match CO and DL to see which one I liked best. That was before I joined Milepoint, and I was a mere Gold on AA. What a big mistake that would have been for more than the reason you mentioned.

Delta actually saved me, as I sent in my application, but they never processed it, so I just went with CO. I loved them, and by the time they started messing things up I was 1K. Now it's definitely the best fit for my geographical requirements. It has paid off in a big way. If they ever mess up, however, I'll still have the ability to match with DL. Whew! I like to have options.

8MiHi likes this.