SOON TO BE EXP...can a family of 3 be upgraded?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Feb 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    soon I will be EXP and wondering what is the probability of upgrade for family of 3? thinking of taking my family for a vacation sometime in October and not using eVIP, does AA upgrade for a family of 3 if I am the only one with status?

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    EXP and one companion. EXP is free, companion uses stickers. Second companion rides in the back.

Chances of EXP and companion clearing depends on many factors, too difficult to tell here, especially with no information.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As gemac mentions, no dice.

If you want all 3 of you in the same cabin you'll have to purchase a ticket in the premium cabin for the 3rd person, upgrade using an eVIP, or upgrade with miles/miles+copay. An off chance for a LFBU but those are not guaranteed.

4. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    even the 3rd person is a 5 year old?
    I heard about miles+copay but somehow dont get to see them in AA, where can I see what the miles and copay are?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you asking if AA will ignore their upgrade policy for a child? As mentioned above, you can only upgrade yourself and one other individual. There is no exception for families traveling with children.

If you have a child with you, then when you request the upgrades you should request for yourself and the child to guarantee that a parent is with the child. If both the upgrades come through, you can always trade places with your spouse so they ride up front instead of you. If you want to travel as a unit, you'd have to use the other methods mentioned above to move the 3rd party to the premium cabin.

The miles and co-pay information for AA flights is here: LINK.

6. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I have a different story! Last October this happened to me, me and my family(12 pax) went to Disney to celebrate my daughters 2 yo, but they wanted to go to NYC either, so we went from MCO to JFK with AA, I made a reservation for me, my wife and my daughter(2), 3 paid coach seats, and the rest of the family went on another reservation! I called the EXP desk 4 days prior to departure and asked them about the upgrade. If only 2 were possible, of course I'd ride in the back, but the agent told me that the flight was empty in First and due to that she was able to upgrade the 3 of us giving the special circumstances, then she asked me if I was travelling with another family member and I told her yes, 9 of them, she told me she could upgrade even one more if I was willing to pay 90 dollars! And I payed the upgrade to my mother, so in the end I was able to upgrade me, my wife and daughter using stickers and my mothers by paying 90 dollars. The agent told me that this usually does not happen, only because the F cabin was empty. So it's no impossible, it maybe hard, but it's always good to call the desk as they always help you in many ways!

travelmommy likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are actually telling us that a) On a very busy route such as JFK/MCO the F cabin was empty
    b) You were able to upgrade 1 pax to F for $90 PLUS
    c) Two other pax using upgrades.

Are sure you were flying AA or did you stay in a Holiday Inn last night?:)

8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, I'm sure of it! And I have 11 witness if you don't believe me! And what's wrong with Holiday Inn?

travelmommy likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm with you. This story doesn't add up. Sorry Eloy! :confused:

10. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's ok David! This was on the flight on oct 07 last year! It did happen, the agent told me the F cabin was empty, and that was the reason she did what she did. Im just sharing this to point that it is not impossible, it might be rare, but it is always good to call the EXP desk as they may come up with some way to grant our friend's family an upgrade! It did happen to me, so it is worth the call!

travelmommy likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The $90 fits the LFBU option of $45/per 500 miles flown for MCO-JFK. These are not offered by the EXP desk or phone agents though, only kiosks at check-in or online if checking on AA.com. Are you certain you did not do this at the airport or online?

If it was actually a LFBU, which I suspect, that's already identified as an option for the OP in the sections above but they're not available all too often and are not a reliable method of getting seats in F together.

12. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure I did over the phone, but I was charged in the airport during check-in.

travelmommy likes this.
  13. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing, but

14. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To tell the truth I didn't understand the message in the video. Whats gotta to do the Hiex with the guy that just fainted??

travelmommy likes this.
  15. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assumed it was for the series of Hiex commercials that have been running that are about "staying smart" and these people who can get beyond their normal pull because they stayed at a Hiex?