Sony unveils its own competitors to the iPad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by canucklehead, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sony announced that their new tablets will run Google's Android software. They are introducing TWO tablets, one 9.4" screen (named S1), similar to the current 9.7" iPads and one that folds into two but contains two 5.5" screens (named S2). Both units will feature cameras

The items are tenatively scheduled for a September 2011 release. Prices have not been announced at this time.

Picture of the S1 tablet S1.jpg

Picture of S2 booklet S2.jpg

uggboy, Chimpy, Horse and 3 others like this.
  2. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The tablet looks pretty interesting, I think sony can make a nice implementation of android 3.0. I would like to see the larger tablet, NOT just the folding one, be able to offer access to the PSN and PS3 games. The folding one is a controller and gaming system (assuming that sony gets the PSN running again in time for launch :-( )

uggboy likes this.
  3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your point is? What does the breach have to do with the announcement of SONYS entry into the tablet market????

Come on man, lets not hijack threads.

uggboy, DonV.Smith and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may have to revise my plan to get the iPad2. I was hoping to pick it up in May, but now that there may be a Sony tablet, I think that may be a nice product.
    ....or, get both (or is it all three!) :D

uggboy, Chimpy, DonV.Smith and 2 others like this.
  6. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know. I love my andriod EVO so I'm waiting to see what the Honeycomb tablets are like.

uggboy and DonV.Smith like this.
  7. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe one article I read indicated the s1 would be $599 for the wifi addition and TBD for carriers & 3/4g.
    ** Take the price with a grain of salt. I'm sure I saw an article yesterday but can't find it today.

I'm very curious to learn more about the two - how they differentiate from each other, apart from the obvious (folding or not). I thought I saw that both will offer PSN access and PS1 (and potentially PS2) games playability. I don't recall seeing that for PS3 games. Neither appears to have the control mechanisms (i.e. push buttons) of a PSP, so it will be interesting to see how this is implemented (maybe a wireless controller can be synced ;)). I did catch a reference to the s2 being a gaming device... but again, no clear PSP-like control mechanism... It keeps me curious.

I've been holding off on tablets as well, looking close at the iPad2 and LG Slate and the new Samsung Galaxy coming out... but this will push me to wait just a little bit longer as the little bit higher price actually has extra value in the nature of use/integration.

This is about as good a writeup as I've found: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...hallenges-apples-ipad/articleshow/8091175.cms

I'll update this if I find the article suggesting the price.

uggboy, Chimpy and Horse like this.
  8. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think we'll probably see some of the touch sensitive areas implementation on the backside like on the newest psp

9. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. These "high prices" are keeping people from buying tables or keeping people on the fence when deciding to purchase.

If android tablet OS really wants to compete with Apple tablet OS, then the manufactures need to realize price plays a huge factor.

They things are successories not needed items. I'm financially able to buy at the current price, but to cheap to spend/invest that kind of money on an item that would be a third device behind my MAC and smartphone.

10. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having played with the XOOM I like the way Android Honeycomb multi-tasks. This makes the Android based tablets better then the iPad. The Sony dual screen looks interesting.

11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I played with a XOOM tablet at Verizon. I wasn't really thrilled or wowed, but I think that tablet particular table was watered down. I want to stop in a few other stores and test their models, to see if Honeycomb really is all that.

12. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Galaxy behaved rather well, and I understand a new version (or two) of it are coming as well.

13. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The price is very key for me (too); I know I'd do well with an iPad/2, but have a lot of interest in the Android progression... But that interest only extends so far into the wallet.

There's a flood of tablets coming out... some will never make it to retail stores but could be gems. Or not. The trick for companies is differentiating themselves from the other tablets out there - including the iPad, especially if they need to justify the price.

At least the Sony's will have a level of differentiation that others won't achieve (licensing pending)... But I still don't want to go to much extra into the wallet ;)

14. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I started playing with Andorid tablets with a Hacked Pandigital Novel eReader. Cost me $100 and does a lot of what the more expensive ones do. You can check out more on Slatedroid if you like to hack around with software and hardware ( none of it was difficult). The web site also talks a lot about all the Android Tablets.

15. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice, I'll check it out- Thanks! If nothing else, that may be a good interim while I debate if there are other features I'd like ;)

16. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's hilarious that the tech press is starting to refer to the folding model as 'the taco'. :)

17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, lets hope its spicy and filled with meat and not a beef substitute! :p

uggboy, Chimpy and DonV.Smith like this.
  18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not much info has been made about the Sony S1 tablet and S2 booklet, but they have released a video trailer for it.

The video is aesthetically interesting, but unrevealing.

uggboy, Chimpy and DonV.Smith like this.
  19. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ended up picking up an Acer Iconia A500 this past weekend... It's actually pretty nice - I'm a fan of the USB ports (slave and master), as well as the memory card slot.

That said, I'm still watching closely to see what Sony's end product is like. I can always pass the Acer along ;)

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've read mixed reviews on this... though largely it should be good. However, if I were on the market for one at the moment... I think I could wait the extra couple of weeks to get the MSRP vs. paying the premium pricing :rolleyes:

uggboy and canucklehead like this.
  22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    totally agree. Also the first iteration of the S tablet will come with Android's Honeycomb, the second one with Ice cream sandwich (I do hate these cutesy names!)

While I am not an intense technophile, I will probably get one in the next month or so and try to report back.

23. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    CNet did a comparison of the Sony S vs the Samsung Galaxy tab and the new 'S' did well in the round-round combat!

24. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I played with the S1 at the Sony store the other day. I will definitely give them points for originality on the design. It is quite nice to hold even if it feels more plasticy than I am use to with the iPad and other tablets. With that said I am still not sold on the Honeycomb software. I just don't like how they have removed the physical buttons from the front. I accidentally opened an app and all of a sudden the orientation of the device switched and so did the back/home buttons.

uggboy, DonV.Smith and canucklehead like this.
  25. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to change the orientation behavior in the settings, which should resolve that 'issue'.
    I'm pretty big on the Android push... and interested in the S1. However, it was taking so long that I picked up an Acer A500 back in May... It's not perfect, but it's very good and does what I need. Looking back, I'd hate to think I wouldn't have had a tablet over the period of time. I'll have to wait a generation or two, and see what kind of a tech-wall I hit, before I start looking to replace the Acer.

uggboy likes this.