Sometimes I wish I were a US resident...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by CescoAiel, Jan 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because flying there for vacation is either expensive, or requires more miles... (But I probably would be less inclined to want to go there for vacation if I were... :rolleyes:)

If I try to use my Flying Blue (KLM) miles (using 200k miles) for award tix, I get to pay €1200 ($1615) in taxes and fees.
    But doing the exact same legs (but on different flights, obviously, using 240k miles) on award tix for MileagePlus (United), I'd only pay $ 382 in taxes and fees.
    Unfortunately I "need an additional 42,964 miles to redeem this award"

I'd gladly 'pay' KLM 40k more miles to bring down those taxes and fees... ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The good news is that you don't have to be a US resident to collect points in the MileagePlus program. ;)

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, yay for the subjunctive in the thread title. (I know American English is moving away from it, but I like it.)

You might be able to find someone with gobs of UA miles who needs SkyTeam tickets who'd be willing to book the UA ones for you. I don't know KL's rules or whether you could book one way awards, but you can book one ways on United, saving at least some of the $.

lhrsfo and guinnessxyz like this.
  4. The Dutch are great traders. Get some of that "gene pool" working on something that can result in a win win:) . I can't help because all my miles are with AC and spoken for.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    True... But 43k points are not something you collect in a few days, and we're looking for this summer's vacation... US Residents can use the creditcard offers, etc., just like I have a Flying Blue CC racking me FB points... (Though it never gave me a 30k join bonus...)

Kalboz likes this.
  6. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, Dutch is my native tongue, English something I was taught at a slightly later age (luckily we start young over here), so I'm used to using the more formal version...

Back OT: I never considered that first option, but it is certain an option... And I just recalled that I noticed there were a few (very few) days where the return flight was only a few tenners a person...

The second option might be possible too... I'll first examine the first option's possibiliies though!

Kalboz likes this.
  7. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the compliment, guinessxyz. I'll first see what my options are with United inbound and KLM back home... (see above)...

Thx all, I'll revisit this with renewed vigor and enthousiasm... ;)

Kalboz and guinnessxyz like this.
  8. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Meh... Option #1 is a no-go... Single flights are almost as expensive in fees and taxes as returns are, and the ones that claimed to have a €16.67 flight option were duds... It says 'from €16.67" on the flight calendar, but then the next screen ONLY shows €200+ options... (And those are *per ticket* prices!!!)

So I will need one extra UA ticket, to trade for KLM ticket(s)... Already started a new thread for that on the MileagePlus forum...

Kalboz likes this.
  9. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dude, that is insane!
    KLM with no lie-flat business seats, 200K miles, and >$1600 fees:eek:
    Seriously, there are some dirt cheap business class sales going on from ex Europe for the same amount of just your fees alone.
    Note to self: Stay away from KLM milage program:)

10. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's for 4 tix, but yeah... I agree... But from Amsterdam KLM is basically the only option to fly most of the times... And then Flying Blue is the only logical choice for frequent flyer!

Inside Europe most fees are now included in the miles you spend on your award tix, but not intercontinental!

11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldnt you just buy the 42kmiles from UA for cheaper then the tax/fee difference? My next trip is showing 2.1cpm, I would think if 4 of you are traveling together keeping all on 1 pnr would be best

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any availability on DL metal for the tatl legs?

13. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    43k miles = $ 903, plus the standard fees gets me over $1200... So while there is *some* advantage, it isn't much. At that rate I'd rather stay on this side of the pond for another year... I'd *love* to go back to the US for vacation, but not at all expenses... (Esp. if I'd have to run up debts for a vacation)

14. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, unfortunately there's no seats available (at this time)... You're right, flying DL would make a huge difference... The return flights for €16.67 a ticket would've been on DL...