Something stupid I did

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by michael21, Oct 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to share something I did that was kind of stupid but turned out ok. Currently I'm in middle of a 4 card citi premier churn needing 10k in 3 months. For some reason I decided to apply for the Amex gold business card with 50k points after 5k spend in 3 months having no clue how Id meet the necessary spend. Afterwards tho I applied for the SPG
    Since I already was gonna have the inquiry and got approved. No idea about the business card. 5k in 6 months is much more manageable

Jett Rink, uggboy and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the spend is an issue, consider Bluebird.... ;)

uggboy likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked into the ways of reaching spend?

uggboy likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that Bluebird is only helpful in this case if the OP can find reloads for the card that can be purchased with credit cards. If he can find those reloads then he can buy them with the credit card he needs to run up his spend on, but that will be a pretty odd profile for the first $5K of spend on the card.

You can't load Bluebird directly off the credit card, I think?

uggboy likes this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope.

uggboy likes this.
  6. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, but you can use a CC to buy Vanilla Reload cards and then use those to load Bluebird.

uggboy likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. He would need to find reloads.

However, he wouldn't be limited to just Office Depot stores to buy them. Any old store would do.

uggboy likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stay with me here, since I'm thinking about getting into this "system". Do you have to use the Vanilla reload cards (regardless of where you purchase them) or are there other products that will work? And are there any venues besides OD where people have been able to buy reload products with credit cards (even 1x cards)?

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    MMS just posted he found some @ Walgreens

10. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the BB suggestions. Also some other odds and ends....

Look at any and every bill and make sure you're paying by CC. Even if, for some payees, there is an extra fee for doing so, it would probably be worth it for a short period of time to meet the spend. Run Through The Jungle for some payment "assistance". Make a few Kiva loans. If you can afford the float, load up on some regular Visa, etc cards if it comes down to it and you can't find reload cards for BB.

If worst comes to worst and you just flat out can't make it all, figure out which is the more important one and just focus on that.

11. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go the the Vanilla reload site. They also have a list of places where you can supposedly find the cards. It looks like 7-11 carries them but I haven't actually looked and I haven't heard anyone mention them being carried there. I think I'll check that out today. Even if I can just use it to hit the spends that would be fine with me. Of course... 5x is always better :)

12. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen them at 7-11, but they wouldn't take credit for payment. This seems to be a problem with gcs in convenience stores.

13. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks jaw... I'll give it a try at my local 7-11 just to see if they don't follow the same rules. I guess you never know.