Something strange going on in my account??

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dhammer53, May 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was checking a flight for a friend today. Just as I was about to x out of the website, I saw something strange. It was a reservation. :D :D

I made a res to fly on a holiday weekend, and I'm figuring to get upgraded on both segments. Loads are low.
    My return flight is on Southwest. Prices were about the same. When I figured the miles I'd get, it was almost breakeven. :rolleyes:

I could have flown AA and received full credit, but with the upgrade carrot, it's worth a try to fly UA. The 800 or so miles I receive will inch me closer to a 1 way domestic redemption (unless I move Chase points to UA).

Now for the good news. The A terminal at IAD. ;)

5 Guys here I come.

dh

anileze, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great story.

3. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    uhhhhh....isn't 5 Guys closed at IAD?

4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one in B near the AA gates was open four days ago.

A, I dunno - try to avoid that hellhole as much as possible.
    Sad to say, the A 5 Guys was better than the B one.

icurhere2 likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll have to give me a live trip report over a sip of Bandol Rosé in a few weeks. My last UA flight was October, 2012 and just reading your post is causing a rash.

Flyer1976 and dhammer53 like this.
  6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like my flight will be arriving at a C gate, and departing from a C gate. No train and no 5 Guys for me. :(

My first segment LGA/IAD hasn't cleared, with 1 seat remaining on a RJ. Ok. No biggie, since it's a 45 minute flight.
    My next segment, with 5 of 20 seats taken (on a 737), finally upgraded at the 24 hour mark, not 48 (I'm Million Miler). Still can't complain.
    This will be my first (only?) trip on UA this year. I'm curious to see how the miles post. :rolleyes:

dh

7. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So has anyone had their seat changed on a res? I checked my seats this morning for an ORD-LAX tun with Mrs. Flyer. Strange that we weren't sitting together, I was sure I had selected two seats together when our upgrade cleared, but....maybe not. So, I changed our seats got the confirmation screen etc. The one thing I did not do was check in. The short story is because our first leg (YUL-ORD) was on Air Canada.

When we arrived at ORD, Mrs. Flyer checked the E-Boarding passes, and sure enough, not seated together. By that point F had filled up and we had to do the "will you kindly switch with us" routine when we got on board.

1. No, there was not an equipment type change, nor was there an aircraft change.
    2. Yes, we were on the same PNR.
    3. Of course the GA and CSA we talked to both apologized (we DO apologize) but could do nothing about it, they could not change someones seat to accommodate us. Of course my sardonic replay was "well someone can change people's seats, let's find them"

Has this phantom seat change happened to anyone before?

8. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It used to happen to me a lot. I'd pick 2E or whatever, a few days ahead of time when an upgrade would clear, and at check-in suddenly I was in 1F or something. It didn't ever happen to me on flights I didn't clear a CPU. If I picked 21D, I stayed in 21D. But my upgrades got moved around a lot.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Happens to me frequently as well. Can't pinpoint why but it happens even without equipment or schedule changes. I also had one last week where my first flight of the day posted correctly while my boarding pass for the connecting flight disappeared from Passbook on my iPhone and my seat changed to a different E+ window seat. That flight ended up not posting to my account automatically and required intervention from MP customer service.

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update:

My LGA/IAD flight went MX. So much for 5 Guys. ;)

I'm waiting at the gate, but my seat is not facing the departure board. I see a 20 year old girl with a I'm not happy face. I see her talking to a UA rep. He doesn't have a happy face. Me? I'm sitting there peacefully, minding my own business. I'm realizing that something is up. Just as I turn to look at the board, I hear someone mutter something under their breath. That's when I see it > Canceled.

As a MM'er, I knew I'd be protected. I quickly got up and headed to the service desk, and it's a good thing I did.
    The agent tells me UA protected me on an early evening flight. Keep in mind that it's 9:00am. Just as I'm about to suggest they 240 me to the Delta non-stop to ATL, he tells me he booked me on the Delta flight at 10:59. He even gave me a $7 meal voucher when asked. I arrived ATL on the MD-90 non-stop, arriving earlier than expected. I'd say alls well that ends well, but I was looking forward to that 5 Guys meal.

I expect to double dip in UA for original miles and Delta.

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The silver lining to IRROPS is double dipping! Glad it appears to be ending okay for you, even if it does leave me a burger short on my kids' college funds. ;)

12. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I highly recommend One Flew South in the E terminal at ATL.

Flyer1976 and tommy777 like this.
  13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to worry. I'll head to the downtown HPN location for a fix.

dh

Pizzaman likes this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Every burger helps! :p

15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All wasn't lost. The C gates in ATL were able to provide my fix. Long lines to be sure. ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA offered me 5000 miles as the only option. I thought this was generous for the post-merger UA.

dh

Pizzaman likes this.
  17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I believe the reason you thought so is because it was.

18. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few minutes after I posted, I listened to my messages. UA called and left a message that they were awarding me 5000 miles. The gal sounded like she was from WHQ in Chicago. :eek:

19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Called? Wow

snod08 likes this.
  20. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, wow! You must be special!
    Glad you are winning this one!

21. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before we get too excited: was it a collect call?

cordray2643 and Pizzaman like this.