Something Positive to Say About United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Jan 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been among UA's critics of late, and I'm not saying they don't deserve it. In the interest of balance, however, I think it's also worthy of mention when they do something good.

I recently donated a GPU to a friend here in Costa Rica who was short one that he needed for a trip to Europe on UA. That trip required a schedule change, and by the time it occurred, he had received his 1K GPUs for 2014 mileage achievement. He used one of his own GPUs to expedite the change, so I was due a refund of the donated GPU. Instead, I was credited a single RPU.

I called the mileagePlus desk to get it straightened out, and the agent said that she was going to leave the RPU in my account for my trouble, plus redeposit the unused GPU. The entire call took about 10 minutes, so it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

As much as I whine, I thought I'd just share this act of goodwill on the part of UA. They do occasionally get something right.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Printed and framed. :D

3. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is great to hear. While I have also been critical of many aspects of UA (and have the letters to prove it), when things DO go correctly, or maybe even wonderfully, I do not hesitate to cite that too. Being 2 1K's, there have been good experiences, plus some bad ones too.

Thanks for sharing some good news - all in this world is not bad!

KenInEscazu likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It must have been the whole holiday spirit thing because after I returned from a trip in SIN in November that burned my last GPU, that GPU was mysteriously redeposited into my account a month later. The itinerary in question was SIN-NRT-LAX-JFK, but the SIN-NRT segment failed to clear (the only one that did all year). As a result, the GPU was returned to me but it should not have been as per the rules, since the U/G for longest segment (NRT-LAX) had cleared so the GPU should have been considered used...but, who is complaining? I just need to find a way to use it by 01/31/14.

5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you requalified for 1k they'll extend it if you call.

NYCUA1K, davef139, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just FYI, the rule is not that the longest segment decides whether it is "used" or not.
    http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/premier/swupgrades.aspx
    The rule has flip-flopped between all segments needing to clear to be used and any segment clearing flagging the GPU as used. Seems that they're back to all segments needing to clear for it to count.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear something good about United.. I can say I was "United" in the air.. or actually in the ground.. since the problem with the aircraft got me stuck with a girl that was sitting by my side for +-72h (one due the problem and one due a missing connection thanks to the problem).. Six months later we started dating, then married and now with a baby.. :)

Golfingboy, Flyer1976, SwenV and 5 others like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the latest is that all the segments need to clear in order for a GPU to be considered used, then that is definitely something that benefits the consumer and should be welcomed.

Flyer1976 and Black Cloud like this.