Something Positive to Say About American Airlines

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by KenInEscazu, Aug 19, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... I'm not exactly an AA fanboy, and I have been known to get pretty vocal (the online version) when something extremely unjust occurs during my travels. All major US-based airlines are pretty bad these days, and the TSA does their best to make air travel an inconvenience at best.

That said, American has been no worse than their direct competition, IME, in their overall performance. It helps that I fly in paid premium cabin every time, so the decreased odds of the upgrade roulette have had less affect on my comfort than many others. I'm very grateful to have that luxury, and I don't take it for granted.

Some things about AA are better than their competitors and some are worse. For me, they best suit my needs of routes served, so they have kept my business. That's always subject to change, but there is nothing glaring at the moment to call for my whining.

It seems that all the posts about AA here have been extremely negative and bombastic for quite some time. For me, I pay, I almost always get my money's worth of service, and they almost always get me to my destination either on time or within the window of allowance I build in for modern air travel.

My gazillion miles may not be worth what they would have been in the past, but there are always enough left over when I re-qualify for Exec. Plat. to convert and fly free for the remainder of the year. This year I even have enough extra miles to go to Maui for Christmas.

So yes it's worse than before, but we fly in a whole new world, and it certainly isn't that bad when the options are compared.

*OP reserves the right to do an about-face when/if something outrageous happens in the future. ;)

zpaul, iolaire, radonc1951 and 2 others like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Click bait! :mad:
    The post contains nothing "positive to say" about AA.
    Being able to afford higher premium cash fares is the good news about the poster, not AA.

Newscience and alfagirl like this.
  3. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Up front, my main airline is UA, but I am a plat on AA.
    Thing I like about AA
    1. When it comes to premium fares, for some reason, AA can be far more competitive than UA. I have yet to figure out why that is. On certain routes (such as CLE-IAH), AA F is less than UA Y. Flying CLE (CAK) to DCA, AA is usually 10s of TODs less than UA. So I do use AA when needed.
    2. AA many times will have a schedule which fits mine while UA does not. This is especially true for national flights.
    3. AA's ACs. The clubs are really nice. I think the free food selection is better than the UCs, and they also have food for purchase which for some reason UC's refuse to do.

Things that drive me bonkers about AA

1. DelAAAys which break connections. This would not be so bad if I was not in paid F. When this happens, I usually get rerouted with a delay but I lose my F seat and getting AA to reimburse me the reasonable difference in fares (they calculate full Y as the replacement fare!!) is unjust and would make me seethe more if their F fares weren't so darn good (compared to UA's outrageous Y fares) in the first place.
    2. Lack of any available F seats when #1 occurs. Neither AA or UA have figured out how to hold F seats (ie not upgrade) when irreg ops causes misconnects. (Again, in truth I am happy to just have a seat going home, but still, I can dream.)
    3. AA's lack of partners when irreg ops force you onto another airline. It seems that now all AA has nationally is UA.
    4. Worthless stickers. I have tons of them, never get an UG.

I actually have no complaints about planes or service on either airline. I usually give my miles away on both programs. I have used AA miles once, and that was to get an F fare from HKG to JFK on CP (before the devaluation). That was nice.

So there is my take on the two, They actually compliment each other quite well, and I imagine being an Exec Plat is similar to being a 1K in treatment. I have not been treated badly as a simple Plat.

Newscience and KenInEscazu like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best thing I can say about AA is that they removed US from the Star Alliance!

zpaul, Newscience and KenInEscazu like this.
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's hilarious! :D Oddly enough, as much as I disliked US, their departure was a key factor in my decision to switch to AA.

Both AA and US have flights to/from minor airports in the SE USA. UA simply decided to ignore those markets after US left. With customers all over the country, I wanted an airline that serves all the paces I must go.

I still have *Gold status as a Copa PP, but I almost never use it domestically. I do, however, use CM to fly in and out of South America just to avoid having to go through Miami on AA.

Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Schedules to my primary destinations are reasonable, as are fares. Basic Economy is not yet widespread. My upgrade rate is still 85-90% this year on the routes and times I fly, including internationally. You can upgrade companions not on your reservation with priority (although my 500-miler stock is dwindling).

Newscience likes this.
  7. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess. I've been flying AA from JFK to SCL, UIO, GYE (all via Miami) for years, mostly because the schedule is so convenient. Or better yet, non-stop to EZE. The Admirals Clubs in MIA and JFK have been consistently fine, and ditto in SCL. UA has just about abandoned JFK in favor of EWR -- ok for New Yorkers I guess, but for this Long Islander, forget about it.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah! Have transferred hundreds of thousands of miles from *A carriers to my old US Airways account for a decade or so.
    I miss 'em!

Sent from my SM-G935V using InsideFlyer mobile app

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK can be an exception for me. If I plan to fly to LAX or SFO from there, I'll fly AA to keep the multi-destination price reasonable. CM doesn't offer good one-way fares for some reason, and AA charges more for the 3 class trans-con if it's not tied in with other flights.

Agree that MIA D30 AC was always nice, but it has been a mess since they started the construction of the Flagship Lounge. I miss the Business Center. The Centurion Lounge is "ok," but it's always overcrowded, has no desks and is often inconvenient.

My primary complaint about AA at MIA is the long wait for bags when I'm coming into the US and have to wait there to re-check. I'm always thirsty, there is nothing to drink and their baggage folks are ssslllooowww. If I fly into MIA on Copa, it's land, grab my bags and go on my way. Flying out gets me real food at the Avianca VIP Lounge, and it's good.

iolaire likes this.
  10. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree to an extent - AA is perfectly adequate compared to the other US carriers, but I prefer a consistent in-flight experience which AA can't deliver. I don't go out of my way to avoid AA as I do other airlines, such as UA or CM, but I'm no longer loyal as such to them.

My "loyalty" was purchased by AA along with TWA in 2001 and I've stuck with them ever since, mainly because of convenience based on residency: BA when I lived in the UK, IB when I lived in Spain, QF when in Australia, then LA when I moved to Chile, with AA as the overarching carrier knowing that I'd live back in the USA at some point and would like to earn status, etc. in my home country. They have been perfectly adequate, especially now that most of my travel is paid for in the front cabin. AA is also the "preferred" carrier of my company, so I get booked on them (mostly) for business travel.

Because I travel for business so much and turn most business travel into "bleisure" trips, I don't really care about the RDMs but rather the status, since that is generally what will make the pre- and post-flight experience better.

That said, now that I pay to avoid the upgrade roulette and I don't really value the RDMs, this year my personal expenditure has shifted to DL, where I find the service to be more reliable, not the hit-and-miss hodgepodge that AA is up front. I like to know what I'm getting for my money and to be able to count on it. That's impossible with AA. DL may have SkyPesos, but they have a more consistent product.

iolaire and Dublin_rfk like this.