Something near YYZ?

Discussion in 'YYZ/YTZ | Toronto Area Airports' started by Naptimes, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Naptimes
    Original Member

Naptimes Silver Member

Status Points:
    In May, I have a 7 hour layover with my wife and two kids -- teens -- between arriving from DEN and leaving for CDG. I'm sure we could have an iPod/cellphone/netbook/DVD day, but wondering if there's something close to the airport that we could get to and back from. It's the youngest's first trip out of the USA, and she knows we don't count stops in an airport as a destination, so something on Canadian soil would be HUGE!

Even a reasonably interesting meal would make it. We'd have to take public transportation or a taxi.

I'd be grateful for any ideas. Thanks!

2. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are your teens into? Just going downtown can be fun, the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) is right downtown (University Ave and Bloor Street). If the teens are girls and of shopping age, there is always the Eaton Centre (also downtown). The CN Tower is downtown as well. Getting downtown from the airport is fairly easy, and there are a couple of options other than taxis. There is an airport to downtown hotel bus shuttle Toronto Airport Express which leaves the airport every half hour or so. Checking out the service map stop #4 would put you off right at the Eaton Centre, stop #7 would put you right off at the CN Tower. The Zoo and the Science Centre they are a little harder to get to though - you'd probably need to taxi there. Weather is usually nice in Toronto in May, so the zoo would be great, or just walking around downtown.

3. mlarso85
    Original Member

mlarso85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would second the CN Tower, if you can make it downtown. Although it's no longer the largest free-standing structure in the world, it's still real impressive. My family went to Toronto when I was in my early teens and I LOVED doing the tower experience.

Also, I don't know if they like hockey but the NHL Hall of Fame is in Toronto too. I've never visited it so I can't speak if it's worth the time or not though.