Somebody please tell Delta that the official language of Israel is NOT German!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Dovster, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received the following e-mail from Delta:

I do understand what it says but only because I received this offer in English a week ago (and took advantage of it).

Still, as my Delta account records clearly show that I have an American passport, that my choice of languages for correspondence is English, and that I live in Israel, I have to wonder why they sent this to me in German.

Could it be that Delta thinks that the official language of Israel is German? If so, is there any way to convince them that the Hebrew language exists?

jbcarioca, sobore, LETTERBOY and 4 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Part of their continuing program to raise ire with pax of the Jewish faith.... First it was RUH codeshares, now this. ;)

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny. Having the original post in German is prompting most of the sponsored ads on this page to now come up in German for me!

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they used the wrong list, and sent an email intended for German addresses to either all ROW addresses or all "Europe" addresses. I received the same email in Denmark.

jbcarioca and mtkeller like this.
  5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    My failure to receive it has reminded me that I need to toggle back to my UK address. I'd switched to a US one when ticketing LHR-ICN-MEL//SYD-KUL-LHR (held waiting KE confirmation), as the taxes/fees shown online were the same digits as quoted over the phone, but with £ instead of $ as the phone agent had specified. Not trusting DL IT (which clearly relates to this thread!), I figured they might try to make the charge in GBP if I didn't see it with $ when paying. A simple change of my profile address changed the currency symbol (and didn't adjust the amount, thankfully!).

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guten Tag Dovster,

vooserchats? a yange gilachte...

At least they did not send you an email in iidush :) nu, shoin...

zai geezunt,

DLroads

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://translate.google.com/ :cool:

Good day Mr. xxxx,

This summer, treat yourself to something special. For a limited time, get a discount of 50% of the miles for an upgrade BusinessElite ®.

Buy an economy ticket in fare classes Y, B or M for selected trans-Atlantic flights.

With an upgrade to the business elite enjoy exclusive amenities, such as:

Flat Beds on selected flights
    Large pillows, duvet cover and a new dinner service
    Delta's ultra-modern, digital entertainment with its large selection of music videos, television programs and games on a 27 inch screen
    Ergonomic lumbar support

This preferential seating is limited there, so you lose no time!

Customers residing in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom should contact our SkyMiles Support Centre. Customers in all other European countries, the Middle East and Africa, please call Delta Reservations to make your business elite upgrade for travel up to 31 August 2011, and your miles to receive discounts of 50%.

Please have your SkyMiles number and PIN ready

jbcarioca and Jett Rink like this.
  8. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today I got another e-mail from Delta:

I wonder if I should ask for 100,000 SkyMiles in compensation -- and send the letter in Italian.

9. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nessun problema Dovster,
    Mi chiedo se dovrei chiedere per 100.000 SkyMiles in compenso - e inviare la lettera in italiano

jbcarioca, Gargoyle and Dovster like this.
  10. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cain't y'all speak Yewnited States fer cryin' out loud?

jbcarioca, DLroads and deltaGOLDflyer like this.
  11. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    לא ממש

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    invece lui gli davrebbero100.000 vecchie lire.

(instead, they would give him 100k old Italian lire)

DLroads and jbcarioca like this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else getting this ad?

[​IMG]

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isso me lembra desagradavelmente da obsessão Marriott tem de enviar todas as comunicações para brasileiros apenas em espanhol. Eu protestei quando eu era um super-Elite, ficando 200 dias / ano. Eles nunca respondeu, então eu disse-lhes se eles não pudessem se comunicar comigo em Português ou Inglês que eu parar de ficar Marriotts estanho. Eles nunca respondeu. Em TOBB pessoas pensaram que eu exagerei. Talvez, mas eu não perdi a cadeia em tudo. SPG, Accor, Hilton todas usam Português sem drama.

Boa sorte, Dovster.

15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Air Canada had to pay out $12,000 CDN to a couple because the flight attendants didn't speak French. The couple, btw, is bi-lingual, but they seem to make a professional living suing companies for this breach of linguistic law.

The plaintiffs are royally pissed, because they were asking $525,000, so they feel they were ripped off.

The husband, a federal IT worker, accused Air Canada of failing to serve him in French during several flights he took in 2009. A Federal Court judge agreed and fined the carrier, arguing that it didn't respect its federal linguistic obligations. He had filed a similar language complaint against Air Canada in 2002 and won. He has also taken on Ottawa's transit agency after a bus driver greeted him with "hello," instead of "bonjour."

16. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know exactly how they feel. On my last Delta itinerary, the only FAs who spoke Hebrew worked the TLV-ATL segments. I had to settle for speaking with those on the ATL-LAS segments in English.

Naturally, my lawyers are demanding $500,000 for each of those two segments.

(The situation was even worse in ATL itself, where nobody speaks either Hebrew or English -- just Georgian.)

traveller99 and Gargoyle like this.
  17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And when they win the case, your take after legal fees with be $50 and 1000 skypesos.

18. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you head to the right part of Atlanta, you will find some Hebrew speakers. Have a friend who worked at the JCC, and she said that a lot of Israelis lived in the same apartment complex as me, actually.

19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Dov lives near the northern border of Israel; he can't understand those southerners who speak Hebrew with a drawl.