some thoughts on my next AoR please

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by servo, May 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's the important info:
    Miles/points totals
    Alaska - 29k
    American - 125.5k
    Delta - 5k
    Frontier - 30.5k
    Hawaiian - 75k
    Southwest- < 1k
    United - 122k
    USAir - 38k

Carlson - 129.5k
    Hilton - 209k
    IHG - 105k
    SPG - 33.5k

Ultimate Rewards - 39k
    --------------------------
    Last AoR 2/2013

US Bank Club Carlson 80k
    BOA - Alaska Airlines 25k
    Barclay's Frontier 35k
    Chase Sapphire Preferred (MC) 40k
    Citibank Hilton NAF 50k
    SPG Amex 25k
    * Denied for 2nd Barclay's USAir due to Frontier app at same time

Previous AoR 11/12

BOA/BOH Hawaiian 35k each
    Hilton Amex NAF 50k
    Chase Ink Bold 50k
    Chase United Explorer 55k

2nd Previous AoR 8/12

Barclay's USAir 40k
    Citi AA Amex/Visa 50k each
    IHG Priority Club 80k
    --------------------------------------------------

My thoughts:

Ink Plus - I've read people saying that I can't use the credit allotment for the Bold to xfer over to the Plus, so I'm not sure about this one, although the spending is still $5k instead of $10k, and since this isn't on my personal credit, I think it might be worth trying for.

Barclay Arrival - I was thinking Lufthansa, but it doesn't sound like getting that card on speculative points is wise, so I chose the arrival instead for 40k points.

After that, I'm not really sure where to go next - Amex Business Gold?

I'm going to hold off on the Southwest business and personal until the end of the year so I can get the companion pass for 2014-15.

Thanks for your contributions in advance.

2. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are your flying & hotel stay goals over the next 12-18 months? I usually get cards that will give me miles/points that I'll using w/in the next 12-18 months.

3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Biggest trip in the next 12-18 mos is Europe. Not sure where (deciding between Italy, France and Spain). Wanting to go 1st class in lie-flats, and then hotel stays there. Next likely trip in that time frame is to SXM. I have the hotel covered, but need to figure out the flight strategy. I have already acquired the JetBlue card once, and not sure of the churn time on that, and got denied for a 2nd USAir card in the last AoR.

4. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Concentrate on getting miles on the airline you'll be flying. Looks like no more CITI AA cards for awhile (probably have to wait 24 months from last app.). Maybe do a lot of spending on Chase cards to get more UR pts?

5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree on the UR points strategy. I converted Ink Bold to Ink Plus, got the AirTran card for 2 free RT tickets for closing the United Explorer and the Citi Hilton Reserve. Got denied by Barclay's again, this time for the Arrival card. They're incredibly stingy.

6. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:
    UR Points strategy is a good one, still reasonable availability for C and closer in, F awards depending on when you're traveling on Star Alliance. Other benefit of UR is that Virgin Atlantic is a transfer partner, and Upper Class is lay flat as well.

Also I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) - the Alaska card would be an option again soon? It'll take a while for those to stack up, but with one-ways now available, might not be bad to tac onto a churn.