Some practical comments on sign-up process as it now stands

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by ozstamps, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. The first box to fill in is name or email address. It is not made clear whether what is typed there is to be one's handle. .

2. Having TWO Captcha words to complete is really silly, and will cut down on new members going forward. Most times I find deciphering one word can be hard enough. The board software Admin side usually has settings to higher or lower the captcha "hardness" and I'd strongly suggest racking it down a few notches, in the early stages especially. Many folks simply give up if signing up is too hard.

3. Date of birth appeared to be mandatory. Again something that will deter some from bothering it seems to me. I added born 1900 to get around it, so the data accuracy is never going to mean much is my guess. [​IMG]

Glen

Dovster and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback ozstamps.

Re: the name/email field - If you enter a name in there when signing up, that same name will be pre-populated in the Name field on the subsequent Sign Up page. On that page there is description text below the name field indicating this will be your public name in the community. If, however, you enter an email address, the Email field will be pre-populated on the Sign Up page. I'm sure we'll look into this to see if there are changes we can make to make it more intuitive, but I wanted to pass that info along.

DOB is not mandatory and can be skipped. Again, we'll look into making this clearer.

Captcha is the trickiest one of these requests. We could make it less difficult, but any change in that direction is met with an equal and opposite risk from a security standpoint. There is a happy medium there somewhere, the trick is in finding it.

3. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Re point 1 it is the first section anyone sees, so they do not know what will follow. :)

Re DOB I guess (not a required field) after it, is an easy thing to add?

Re Captcha - even gmail and ebay have only single word versions when verifying accounts .. I have never seen two words ANYWHERE!

For this kind of board bot spammers cannot read even 1 word. :)

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree about the two word Captcha- the typefaces chosen were messy, on my laptop screen I felt really lucky, and somewhat surprised, to have read both words correctly.

5. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to retry several times before I got a readable captcha..... I just thought it was me not being able to decipher the first few.

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the date of birth was not mandatory, am I able to go back and delete that field, or have tech support delete it?

7. Dogzrule
    Original Member

Dogzrule Silver Member

Status Points:
    Re Captcha ... 2 words are often the norm, and I suspect wouldn't really deter future members. DOB section seems to only require day and year, which is all I added so it's not clear what it really is for. It could just be working from an iPad, but the avatar upload section just freezes ... So I'm temporarily stuck with my little blue body :-(

8. Dogzrule
    Original Member

Dogzrule Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok, have now logged in on laptop and easily updated avatar ... ... seems sight is not 'iFriendly' (rotfl).

9. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sign up with an email address other than Yahoo, as confirmation emails are not being received.

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotmail is also a problem

11. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mikel sent me a note for fixing the yahoo and other issues. It works.
    Just add webmaster_at_milepoint_dot_com to your contacts list and it should work.

12. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    great avatar BTW.

13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    we'll do whatever necessary. we had been working on trying to alter that from being visible but it required more work than we had time for to prepare for the launch but know that it will be addressed before we have a live launch. Appreciate the comments as they are completely in line with our own thinking.

14. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love having the gender on there. I look forward to not having to avoid gender pronouns when referring to earlier posters. And I've already discovered that several posters are a different gender than what I had assumed! :oops:

15. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can hide it from view by editing your Account Privacy settings.

16. Dogzrule
    Original Member

Dogzrule Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks. I'm an absolute fan of Rodrigue ... Have 2 of his prints now ... Love what he's done and doing for NO.

17. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I skipped both the sex and dob fields without any issues - I did like that you can flag what part of the dob would be visible (if entered in the first place).

I didn't care about the two captcha words, it was the font/print style that I had problems deciphering. Not sure anything can be done with those at all.

18. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note that ReCaptcha with two words has a noble intent. Not sure if that's what MilePoint is using since I don't see the ReCaptcha logo (acquired by Google a year ago). At any rate, with ReCaptcha, technically you only have to get one word right because the verification system only knows one word. Its purpose is to digitize text that's difficult to OCR. Long explanation of ReCaptcha can be found in this YouTube clip. Skip to the third minute to get to the nitty-gritty of digitizing text.

It's used all over (Ticketmaster, Microsoft, numerous shopping portals, some Google services, et al).

19. I'm with Glen on the initial e-mail/name thing. I wasn't sure whether I would be stuck with my email address as a handle, or whether I'd get a choice for using another name later on in the process.

Also a little freaked out to see a picture of myself as the default avatar -- I haven't seen a 'Gravatar' before and wasn't quite sure where this came from. I guess it's picked up the image from WordPress based on my email address? I know this is supposed to be a 'feature' but there are some places I want a public persona and some places I want to remain more anonymous. It feels like an invasion of privacy, even if it comes from a public source.

20. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two-word captcha is a pain, and it is hard to read .... but forum spam is such a huge problem today (many forums get hundreds or thousands of spam sign-up attempts each day) that you need to have something hard enough, otherwise the MP fora will be littered with spam. And none of us want to see that.

21. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did that from the start but I'd rather not have the information captured/stored at all.

22. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then why enter it in the first place? If any site requests personal data, I look for the asterisk indicating it is required, bypass the fields or put in bogus data. It just depends on the site and request. You are the first stop in protecting your data.

23. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm not that tech savyy. I took it to be a mandatory field, though I see your point about just making up some date to complete the field. It didn't appear optional to me.

24. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an "internet" dob that I often use, my only problem is remember WHERE I used it and where I didn't [​IMG]

SC Flier likes this.
  25. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As we're still in beta maybe that's one setting that can be tweaked or just turned off for the registration process. Maybe capture just an age, or even nothing at all, without having a field for date of birth.