Some LH F availability?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by guberif, Jan 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey everyone. I was booked on LOT's new 787 J for the first week of April, but don't think that's gonna happen. For one, my wife isn't very excited about flying a 787 now, and two, since LO only has 2 delivered (and the rest grounded) I'm thinking I might need to make alternate arrangements.

I'm using UA miles.

Here's my question - when looking for alternate flights to Europe via UA's site, I see some LH F availability in April, on the less popular routes (DTW, CLT, YVR). I thought LH only released F space to partners within ~2 weeks. Is this space legit?

Thanks!

MX and Quasiconvexity like this.
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most probably phantom space (you can try completing the booking online to confirm). I encountered this a lot while searching >2 weeks out lately. The ANA Tool is your friend.

3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...don't have any ANA miles, so can't use the tool. Can anyone check LH428 (MUC-CLT) on 4/6/13. It's showing 2 seats of LH F (via UA site).

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Looks like it is phantom availability.

By the way, if you get an ANA number you can use the ANA site without having any ANA miles. The way to do it is to do an award search for an international ANA flight. After doing the search, you can specify that you want partners included. After you do the same search "with partners" it will allow you to do any other searches using ANA partners.

Jimgotkp and Quasiconvexity like this.
  5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use it without ANA miles, I think. An easier approach would be to sign up for a free membership with Awardnexus which searches ANA for awards - I find it the easiest award search tool to use, by far, and it has free membership (with some restrictions) for FT and MP members.

k_malm likes this.
  6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, if I book those phantom F flights via UA, what happens? Do I get J class? Cancelled reservations?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It just doesn't go through when you try to ticket it.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing showing up on the miles and more portal which typically has higher availability.

9. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where you are flying from, but consider LX or OS (should be refitted most planes by summer) or SN or US for C/J and you should have a nice experience with good hard and soft products (good hard product and somewhat ok soft product on the US).

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH usually starts releasing F 13 days out. You can start as soon as 21 days out if using UA. You can call and ask them to do a Long Sell request from LH where the UA agent actually contacts LH asking for an F seat. Sometimes you can catch one this way because of lag time in updates on UA's website. I've have very good luck getting long sells 2-3 weeks out.

11. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    OS had pretty good availability out of Vienna for April when I booked a month or so ago. They should have the new J product for most US routes, if they hold to their schedule. Even if they don't the catering is great and you may not care as much about the seat westbound.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Schedule is slipping for OS refits.

At the moment I think their USA routes are limited to IAD, ORD, and JFK and Canada YYZ?

I agree for the westbound the old seat is fine. For sleeping it is very difficult- much better to use LX if at all possible.

13. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the moment, these are the first flights they say will have the new metal for the NA routes:

VIE>JFK 20-Mar
    VIE>IAD 2-May
    VIE>ORD 3-May
    VIE>YYZ 1 Sep

So, I guess the only new hard product will be JFK and that assumes that the schedule doesn't slip further.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Expect further delays, just because of the nature of the undertaking. I wouldn't want to book a ticket for the first day a new product is expected to be in circulation! There's usually plenty of LX C available on UA as well which I would put second behind LH F as far as UA.com availability is concerned for routes to europe.

15. ckc123

ckc123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked in May and could find F to FRA in both the United award search tool and the Aeroplan award search tool. ANA didn't show anything. I will be calling tomorrow to see if the agent can see the F award space.

16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    save your time. you will not be able to book the space until 10-14 days out if you are going to use a non-LH FF program. You may get lucky 15-21 days out if you ask for a Long Sell request from a willing agent. What you are seeing is phantom inventory and is basically a place holder.