Some jerk ad man at Spirit Airlines thinks prostitution is hilarious

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | North America' started by sobore, Apr 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/...-thinks-prostitution-is-hilarious/?ref=latest

Spirit Airlines wants you to know that if you fly one of their planes to Colombia, you’ll have plenty of money left over to hire hookers. The low-cost airline, which previously has offered deals pegged to the scandals of Anthony Weiner, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Ron Blagojevich, was lampooning the Secret Service prostitution scandal this week with an offer to fly to Colombia for less than $20. “More Bang for your Buck,” the ad promised, adding that “upfront payment is required.” Get it?! You can afford extra paid sex when you get there! Ah, hookers, such a reliable punch line.

Enter some women’s studies scholar to pour cold water all over this hilarious premise. Janice Raymond, an American scholar in sex trafficking, points out in the Guardian that life for Colombian prostitutes might be sorta tough, or something.

“Pimps control many of the women in the legal tolerance zones,” Raymond writes, referencing the area of legalized prostitution where members of the president’s security team are accused of hiring women. Raymond quotes a local expert observing that “many women in the brothels of Cartagena are victims of sex-trafficking.” God, women’s studies professors are so laaame. (Next thing you know, some historian will be pointing out that during the Great Depression, poor women often prostituted themselves to pay their bills and feed their kids. Why, that could’ve been your great-grandmother. That must’ve been funny!)

Read More:http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/...-thinks-prostitution-is-hilarious/?ref=latest

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The real question is does this type of marketing by Spirit sell tickets? If yes, then they are doing something right though distasteful...

LETTERBOY, uggboy and sobore like this.
  3. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I think people need to just lighten up. It is not like they are saying "go rape someone and get a free ticket." Is Spirit's ad campaign going to increase prostitution, violence against women, exploitation, etc? No.

Counsellor and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty bold of spirit to do this, seems more like a joke that what a commercial airline would put out. I don't think anyone should take offense to this though, they are just trying to find creative ways to get noticed and sell tickets.

Counsellor and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they want to sell tickets, but at what price? Real intelligence shown? Surely not!!!:oops:

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. cotter77
    Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    whatever....its the worlds oldest profession. accept it.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, perryplatypus and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true, now more people know that Spirit Airlines is out there in the market and they did it with very little spending of their advertising budget!

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  11. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like Wikipedia's section for for these types of controversial ad campaigns will be expanded! :)

uggboy likes this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can talk out of both sides of my mouth about this subject, but I must admit that I chuckled out loud when I read it. :)