Some hotels with free Wi-Fi consider charging for it

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by rwoman, Jun 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today: Some hotels with free Wi-Fi consider charging for it

Living in Europe, I am not unfamiliar with having to pay for wifi at many hotels...I'm sure many would not be happy about this prospective change.

uggboy and sobore like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will not pay. There is always a McDonald's near by. ;)

uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or Panera, which seems to have a better WiFi signal and you don't have to smell old French Fries.

4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would pay a reasonable amount for fast, reliable service (free options are hit or miss everywhere, including Panera, McD, Starbucks, etc. - and they're frequently too noisy and inconvenient for activities that require high-bandwidth connection), but current prices, especially in Europe, are outrageously high for what you get. The hybrid model is great for people with multiple devices - if you need a lot of bandwidth to stream video or work, then pay a little extra. Otherwise, use free connection for general browsing and emailing.

SC Flier and uggboy like this.
  5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Ibis I stayed at in Zurich had free wifi that worked well. I don't know if all the Accor hotels are like that but I paid less than $100 a night IN ZURICH and my wifi worked great! That being said, I would pay a reasonable fee of around $5 a day, but $10 would be pushing it.

desamo likes this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go to a nearby library.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thing is... if I am on vacation (and I imagine it's not any different for business trips), then I don't want to hunt around for libraries and adjust my schedule to their hours. If I want to look something up or read my email or download the NYTimes at 10pm, chances are a library isn't going to be of much use.

emajy likes this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in Washington, DC, for a conference in April and the hotel was charging something like $13 or $15 per day for WiFi in the room, but offered it for free in the lobby. :eek:

I was able to get the (slightly weak) signal from the lobby in my room, and then even better the conference provided free access.

Charging for WiFi is just a cash grab.

9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    The thing I have never understood is why the leap from free to paid is so large. It costs the hotel next to nothing to offer wifi (thats why they can afford to give it away) yet if you go to a paid model all of a sudden it is perfectly fine to charge $15+ in the States and probably closer to $25+ in Europe. Quite honestly any hotel that charges that much for wifi is going to be on about a 2-year death-watch as the advent of real 4G cell service hot spots will finally compete at real broadband speeds (assuming they finally get some reasonable data caps).

10. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    For everyday use I will tether my phone. Sometimes the WIFI provided is good and others its not even worth it for FREE! Having said that there are times I do pay for it.