Some Help w/ Trip Planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by corz123, Mar 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys would like some expert advice on how to best go about doing this. I want to arrange a trip usign miles...I want to fly to bali and come back on SQ suites (bucket list item). I checked my dates and there's a wait list. Anyone know anything about the timing and likelihood of the wait-listing going through? Can I wait list for more than one flight? I have a few days of flexibility.

What's the best way to go about the rest of my flight? What sort of strategy should I adopt if I get myself waitlisted?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Including SQ in your plan may be a mistake, IME. What's wrong with TG?

3. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    SQ Suites is sort of a bucket list thing for me.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recommendation is to find a day without the wait-list or get more points so you can pay for a higher award level. I wait listed for a saver award, paying for the medium award, and the saver never opened up - but the cabin was full when we flew (no suites). At the time I ready numerous threads on FT and it seemed like the waitlist are rarely successful.

If this truly is a dealmaker you probably will just need to re-evaluate your dates and pick dates around the availability, even if it means waiting for a different season.

5. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Is there a resource somewhere that would give me more information regarding 1) waitlist clear rate per route 2) waitlist clear times 3) waitlist trends/tips?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unlikely you'll find a sufficiently accurate resource as there's not a ton of data. And even if there was no guarantees that it will work for your plans.

7. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just out of curiosity. These guys who go and blog about it. I assume they didn't pay the saver? :eek:

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel like a good bit of the people blogging are doing it full time so they have high flexibility to grab availability. Otherwise I'd guess they plan way ahead and find the availability at the saver level. It may be that some have enough points to pay above saver.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got SQ A380 Suites via the "mistake" when SQ left inventory wide open to partners during a weekend migration. And I paid low level rates on UA for that.

I cannot tpeak to how others get it but I presume there is a mix of approaches involved.

I think you might be surprised at how few do it f/t, at least in the points & miles world rather than actual travel bloggers.

iolaire likes this.
  10. I think you should use a virtuoso agent

11. corz123

corz123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    fascinating