Some/all of your Choice points may be expiring on Dec. 31

Discussion in 'Choice | Privileges' started by miles and smiles, Dec 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to check your account to see if you have any points expiring on Dec. 31.

"expiry policy
    Choice Privileges® points expire on December 31, two years after the year in which they were deposited into your account unless forfeited or canceled earlier due to membership inactivity."

So, any points you earned during 2011 that have not yet been redeemed will expire on Dec. 31.

If you have points that will expire and you won't be staying at any Choice hotels, then you have a variety of other options including gift cards, transfers to airlines, magazines, charitable donations, shopping, etc:
    http://www.choicehotels.com/en/choice-privileges/

And don't wait to the last minute to redeem your points, because many people have reported that their points expire ON Dec. 31, not AFTER Dec. 31. So, consider Dec. 30 to be the real deadline.

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for the update, miles & smiles! I was really confused by this - I bought 1000 points, hoping they would renew. Obviously they didn't!

uggboy and miles and smiles like this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI, the charitable donation is really easy and in small increments (1,000 points). 1000 points = $5 to the American Red Cross. I only had about 2,000 that were expiring, so the donation was way better than letting them go to waste.

uggboy, ffitalia and miles and smiles like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I also have a small amount expiring - 1200 points. If I don't have a stay before the end of Dec., I will also donate 2000 points.

uggboy likes this.
  5. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder. Need to check on my account.

6. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder :)

7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seconded. Realized I had about 9k sitting there. Are transfers instant or will they take time? I was wondering if I sent 6k to Southwest on Dec 30th if it would count towards the Y14 Companion Pass or not ;)

8. Road King

Road King New Member

Status Points:
    I checked and found I had 3200 points expiring. So I went to redeem them on a $25 gas card for 5000 points, as listed on their site. But was told that’s only available for employees. Then why not state that or have a separate site for employees. The truth is as a Gold Member I cannot redeem anything other than a hotel room. All the other is just fluff. So I either lose my points or book a room I don’t need. I choose to never stay at another Choice Hotel!!!

uggboy likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a magazine subscription for my expiring points.

miles and smiles likes this.
  10. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just discovered that the expiring points number in my "current activity" popup box on my online ChoicePrivileges account was wrong. It indicated about 2500 points expiring at the end of the year, which I thought I had taken care of with a late November stay with points. I then booked a room with points for next week--the expiring points number still did not change. I then called ChoicePrivileges customer service and they indicated that I had used up the expiring points with the November stay. My conclusion is that the expiring points number online must be updated only quarterly, so if you have a recent stay with points, you may want to contact customer service to determine the real number.

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a night for next week to use up my expiring points for this year. Next year I have about 70,000 points expiring, so I will need to do some trips and use them.

uggboy likes this.
  12. fatlady

fatlady New Member

Status Points:
    I usually have no trouble using all my points before they expire, but I spent 4 months in the hospital in 2011 and 2012 and still can't travel very far. It looked like I was going to lose 12,000 points, but when I made some reservations in January they were still there and I think I successfully used them.

13. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Changing currencies in the loyalty world is, of course, a very inefficient use of the first currency. But if you must do so with ChoicePrivileges points in the future, according to sdsearch over in FlyerTalk, who works hard at these things, the best Plan B value is Southwest. (Of course, the value goes way up at that margin where you need to top off your favorite account.) And he is NOT biased, as you can see in his oeuvre. ...So, I transferred to Southwest, and got enough of their points for a transcon RT on good Wannagetaway days.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On a trip last month I made two bookings at Choice hotels. Before this trip I had about 26,000 points expiring on Dec. 31, 2014. I maintained one of my stays, but I had to cancel the other. After my trip I noticed that the 20,000 points that were reinstated were given a new expiration of Dec. 31, 2016.
    I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone all the time, but I now have no points expiring this year.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  15. FormalHall

FormalHall Active Member

Status Points:
    Very useful tip; however it doesn't seem to work for me. Are you sure that Choice uses the expiring points first when you make a booking? My number of expiring points doesn't seem to go down when I make a booking.

miles and smiles likes this.
  16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I am sure that Choice uses expiring points first when I make a booking, as I had some points expiring last year that I was able to use thru bookings. My non-expiring points were not touched.

I am not sure why my points were reinstated last month with a new expiration date. My guess is that it had something to do with the fact that I cancelled my booking some weeks after I made it. But it could have been another factor, or just a glitch in the system that gave me a lucky break.

17. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a few followup notes: Confirming again that in this case, "12/31" means "12/30". Pity the non-MP and FT participants. Choice has the hard expiry, but one can book a stay(s) using expiring points in the new year if the reservation is made before the end of the old. But one can't cancel in the new year and rebook with those points. They'll disappear. There have been other, infrequent reports in FlyerTalk agreeing with miles and smiles's experience of points being reinstated with an extended expiry apparently just as he did it, but it's not a dependable workaround. There may be an undisclosed window/(glitch?) late in the year in which what he did works. Note to self: A worthy experiment, downrange.

I share MuerI's question re how long it takes for the transfer to complete. Points are subtracted and a confirmation (with number) is issued instantly, but the points/miles haven't landed in my airline account for more than a week. The bind is especially in the cheese as my account name doesn't match exactly in the airline account. Are the transfers done on a sweep basis - once a week, biweekly, monthly - and must the names match? I ought to remember from last year, but that's in my memory blind spot (too recent). :confused: