Sol Melia Mas Rewards

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by SC Flier, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have only limited personal experience with this hotel chain and no personal experience with the frequent guest program. I am starting this thread as a foundation for a general discussion of Sol Meliá Hotels & Resorts and the Mas Rewards frequent guest program.

www.solmelia.com
    Mas Rewards Home

Headquartered in Spain, Sol Meliá has more than 300 hotels in 30 countries -- including at least 16 all-inclusive resorts.

Brands
    Gran Meliá
    Meliá Hotels & Resorts
    ME by Meliá
    Innside
    TRYP by Wyndham *
    Sol Hotels
    Paradisus Resorts
    Sol Meliá Vacation Club

Best Online Rate Guaranteed
    "If you find a lower price within 24 hours of making your booking at http://www.solmelia.com, after checking it we will match the lower price and also add an extra 10% discount. If the hotel is located in the Americas (except Brazil and Cuba) we will give you not just 10% off, but a whacking 20% discount off the price you booked."

Mobile Apps
    Yes. For Blackberry, Android, and iPhone. A Mas Rewards booking bonus is available for reservations booked through their mobile app.

* TRYP Hotels has been owned by Wyndham since 2010 but is cooperatively marketed. TRYP properties opening soon in the US and Canada will participate in the Wyndham Rewards program. TRYP properties outside of the US and Canada participate in the Mas Rewards program.

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have some great hotels in our opinion and yes, we have stayed in some, but are not members of their MAS program.

We have stayed at their Luxembourg property most recently, very modern, clean, upscale and the location is in modern Kirchberg with the superb IM PEI designed MUDAM museum nearby. The airport is only 6 or so km away.:)

Loved their Gran Melia Victoria property too in Palma de Mallorca, luxurious, superb breakfast, wow views over the sea and cathedral there:), only caveat, they wanted payment at check-in not check-out as usual!:confused:

Have also stayed at their Melia do Cappuchos in Caparica near Lisbon, a great new property and superb views to the sea and golf course there, caveats however included, very narrow floors, somewhat lifeless, could not walk to see the golf course proper, only for members.:oops: However food was good, service was good too, and the location is not far, within walking distance to an interesting monastery which is worth the visit in Cappuchos village, way up!:)

So overall, Melia is great in many ways, but has weaknesses too!;)

SC Flier likes this.
  3. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone stayed in the one in Shanghai near the Bund?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed in some of their European city properties, such as Valencia, and I haven't been very impressed with this mid-level chain. I've also seen some of their resorts in the Eastern Mediterranean and Bali. Again, it would not be at the top of my list given the price range.

5. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at a couple of their German properties (Melia in Berlin, Tryp in Munich). Each offered decent accommodations in their respective class (the Melia is new-construction, the Tryp older but in decent shape). Both offered good locations close to public transport (the Berlin hotel at the top of the Mitte district, the Munich property walkable to the Hauptbahnhof).

6. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed at the Gran Melia Puerto Rico and loved it. Going back again this winter!
    On our first trip, I knew nothing about awards and frequent flier stuff, so I missed out on capturing those Mas Reward points. But did get signed up before our trip this year. One nice feature of the rewards (at the lowest "blue" level) is a 25% discount for upgrading to any of their "Red Level" rooms. We plan on doing that this year.

My question is, outside of staying at Melia properties, are there ways to acquire Mas Reward points?

viguera and SC Flier like this.
  7. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the Melia in Madrid and found it nice. I'm a member of the rewards program but haven't done much with it yet. The only set-back to the location in Madrid was the location (there's a Gran Melia right in the city center which has a GREAT location) but it was close to a bus stop which provided easy access to the Metro.

Overall a good place to stay. The patio was a great place at night to enjoy a cocktail.

SC Flier likes this.