Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit

Discussion in 'Accor | Le Club Accorhotels' started by HLC, Jun 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the opportunity to stay at the newly opened Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit twice in May.

The hotel is located directly on Sukhumvit Road, between Soi 13 and Soi 15; pretty much midway between Nana and Asoke skytrain stations; and next to the Ruamchitt Plaza Hotel of Thermae fame.....As such, it's location is one of the best in Bkk if you like the Sukhumvit area. It just opened in April 2012 so it's brand new!

Nice property overall, and the staff were always very nice and pleasant, and I had good treatment as a Le Club Accor Platinum - this was through the free Plat status thread, and it did not matter that I had booked through a third party site (Agoda in my first stay) nor through a friend (booked in my friend's name through his Accor Advantage Plus card on the second stay). On the first stay, the club rooms were full so I was not upgraded, but given full access to the Club Millesime floor and club privileges; on my second stay I was automatically upgraded to a club room will full privileges.

Some finishing issues, as someone had commented on in another forum; the rooms were a bit on the small side (a Belgium friend who visited the room remarked that it was a nice room, but small by Sofitel standards...), and for some reason, I could not get a very comfortable sleep on their beds/pillows even after I had requested for a firmer pillow - they have a selection of pillows in different filling and configurations that you can ask for. Other than that, an overall pleasant stay.

Would I go back:? Depends .... The pricing is a bit on the high side for Bkk - for what they are asking, there are lots of similarly nice hotels to choose from, but on sale it is a good deal.

Now on to the pics......

CrankyScott, SASDC8, cennas and 3 others like this.
  2. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    View of the hotel from the walkway from Terminal 21 to Asoke Station
    [​IMG]

Close up view from Sukhumvit Road before it was open.....yes, I was stalking this hotel! ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cennas, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    The lobby...looking straight in from the entrance
    [​IMG]

Reception area - great attentive and courteous front desk staff and with reception on to the side in it's own area, it keeps out the human clutter from the lobby area
    [​IMG]

View from the reception area towards the main doors
    [​IMG]

Check in was a breeze, even with my group of 5. I was offered check in on the Club level on the 31st floor, but declined since I was with others.

One other thing was that I had forgotten to check in as 2 pax due to my large group and complicated booking so I was charged for x1 pax for breakfast when I brought my friend to breakfast one morning - this was quickly corrected and charges waived when I asked them about it.

cennas, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  4. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Club Millesime Room pictures:

Welcome fruit platter and chocs.....The normal Luxury rooms had a different range of fruits and treats
    [​IMG]

Club Millesime benefits are mentioned in a nice note given on check in
    [​IMG]

View from my room on the 14th floor - looking over the Four Points swimming pool
    [​IMG]

Due to the design of the property, I believe all rooms have a view

CrankyScott, SASDC8, cennas and 3 others like this.
  5. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bose Hifi with iphone docking station in all rooms
    [​IMG]

Fancy capsule coffee maker in the Club rooms. Regular rooms had bodums
    [​IMG]

cennas, tomy77, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  6. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    L'Appart Restaurant is amazing!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  7. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Club room - looking in from the entrance foyer area. Bed to the left, working area on the right in an alcove, and toilet area at the far end
    [​IMG]

From the toilet looking towards the bed - entrance foyer and closets on the left
    [​IMG]

Looking towards the left, at the work space alcove
    [​IMG]

cennas, tomy77, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  8. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Left side of the toilet where the tub is
    [​IMG]

Right side where the basin and amenities are - Club room get Hermes toiletries; Luxury rooms get L'Occitane toiletries
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The separate WC and shower areas are at the far end - didn't take pics. Nice shower with good rain shower head, water pressure and sufficient hot water that was easy to control

SASDC8, cennas, tomy77 and 2 others like this.
  9. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Their standard rooms are called Luxury rooms, and are of slightly different configuration depending on where it is located. Overall very nice as well, and all rooms cleverly use mirrors to give the illusion of space

Luxury room with double beds
    [​IMG]

Luxury room during my previous stay - one configuration with the see through toilet at one end, workstation at the other
    [​IMG]

Looking out towards the bed
    [​IMG]

View of the Sofitel pool
    [​IMG]

SASDC8, cennas, tomy77 and 3 others like this.
  10. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Breakfast for Club members can be taken at the club level on the 31st floor, or at the Viola restaurant on the 2nd. The club floor is more private and quiet, but the range is not as good as on the main restaurant

Club floor breakfast spread - hot selection on the right side (didn't take pics...not very impressive)
    [​IMG]

The dining area looking towards the breakfast spread
    [​IMG]

All I could take of our table at the Viola Restaurant as it was late and they were starting to clear up! Nice touches are the bread basket at each table, and coffee served in a bodum!
    [​IMG]

There is also a tea time spread of cold cuts, hors d'oeuvres and a hot snack selection with satay, samosas etc​
    [​IMG]

SASDC8, cennas, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  11. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lastly, some minor finishing issues....not quite expected from a hotel of this standard...but maybe too rushed to finish?

[​IMG]

I thnk they could have done a better job at concealing the access panel to the pipes!
    [​IMG]

For some reason, both the rooms I stayed in had water ponding issues in the shower stalls...

12. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's it folks! Hope it gives you an idea what the hotel is like.

Would I stay there again - probably....but not at their regular prices - too many other good places in Bkk at that price level. ;)

SASDC8, cennas, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  13. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea....so I hear. Didn't have the opportunity to take a look.....maybe next time!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    After 8+ years of constructions!!! :D

Great review and awesome photos HLC thanks a bunch! With good rates, we are hoping to try this property on our next visit and see how it goes. Was the fruit platter your Platinum welcome amenity?

cennas likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    VeryGoodPoints, HLC and uggboy like this.
  16. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the fruit platter was the welcome amenity - Platinum got some better fruits - grapes, mango...and chocs and macaroons. Luxury rooms also got a fruit platter and chocs, but slightly different - more local fruits - not sure if it was for everyone, or just members as my friends booked under Accor Advantage Plus benefits

This is what I got last time....which was pretty much identical to what my friends got in their rooms this time
    [​IMG]

17. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great photos! I will have a 2 night stay here in a few days. It'll be interesting to see if they'd honor Platinum status using Travelzoo voucher bookings. Will update....

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  18. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should - my 2 stays were booked under an Agoda voucher, and Accor Advantage Plus booking under my friend's name....

My understanding is that you just don't get any points for your stay if not booked through the Accor or hotel site.

theskyflyer and Kalboz like this.
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    50% Accor discount promo starts soon!

theskyflyer likes this.
  20. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review and the photos! Always interesting to see BKK hotels.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is showing for around $100/night while the Sofitel So showing for around $130.

23. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    That's a good rate. I just booked Christmas at the Sofitel Sukhumvit w/reservations at the Chef's table for XMas eve dinner! Super excited.

Kalboz likes this.
  24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great Platinum benefits!

Just for clarification, as Le Club Accor Platinum elite member you were given full access to lounge with club privileges, right? How about upgrade to a suite, did you request one?

25. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I had full lounge privileges - used it for breakfast, tea, coffee...but didn't use use the meeting room and other business centre services.

Upgraded from a regular room to a Club room, which is essentially the same as the regular, but just a bit larger with Hermes toiletries.

Kalboz likes this.