Socially relevant things to do in 23 hr layover cities

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ericb, Mar 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Hi all,

I have an itinerary coming up with ~23 hr layovers in the following cities

Bangkok (3 days)

I also have stops in Chicago, LA, London and Singapore, but already have plans to meet up with friends in those cities. Curious if you've found some interesting culturally/socially relevant things to do on 23 hr layovers in any of those cities. Currently considering nurburgring outside of FRA, Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo+sushi, maybe something beer or sake related in Munich and Osaka?

I'm a young, active guy that will probably have energy to go out, but I'm not really into seeing landmarks or museums, more than happy to meet locals and try amazing local food, drinks and atmosphere. Already booked thai cooking and massage classes in Chiang mai if that helps. I Iive in San Francisco and will be packing light. Things that can be done anywhere like shopping or amusement parks aren't on the itinerary.

Also, any recs on logical places to stay for these 23 hour layovers would be greatly appreciated. Certainly open to hostels, but also have tons of SPG, Hilton and Hyatt points+status I'm happy to burn if the hotel is unique or convenient. I heard Asiana will put you up in a hotel for free?

Sorry for polling the community, but I figured it could be useful for other people transiting these cities that don't want to spend all of their time in the hotel or airport or in long lines at touristy landmarks.
  2. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

SPG has a hotel at FRA. Available, maybe, with C&P
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

We are doing a 12 hour in Tokyo before our flight to SIN and then back 2 days later to Tokyo. That first night we are going to crash at a Manga (sp?) Internet cafe. They have couches in the rooms. It is $30 for the night or by the hour if you are a light sleeper. Fish market afterwards. The. Back to NRT.