Social media's most hated airlines

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Desidivo, May 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976, anileze and uggboy like this.
  2. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every night I get a customer threating to post their displeasure to social media sites. These folks don't care that the airline doesn't control the weather, refuses to hold every flight for the few people misconnecting, that we can't manufacture a hotel room when all hotels are sold out.......the list of complaints goes on and on. :rolleyes:

3. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is always going to be the case for all airlines. Those of us who travel a lot understand this and wont bug you about or post. The question is why is united #1 on this list?

On a side note, would love meet you sfogate. I am always flying in/out of SFO.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Steve GadFly likes this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the story:

"In terms of percentage of positive feedback from customers, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, and KLM ranked the highest, but positive feedback was still lower than the negative rants. "

Sounds about right...

6. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certain travelers have unrealistic expectations. I am often amazed that travelers think that showing up, to board their flight, 5 minutes before departure is ok. If they just thought about this, for a moment, how do they expect an on time departure if all 150+ customers did the same thing. There is alot of "it's all about just me" traveling these days, sad to say.

7. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can be found Sunday thru Wednesday, at the Customer Service Center by Gates 80-82, from 6p-11:30p
    I would enjoy meeting you as well.

Flyer1976 and Steve GadFly like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta remember that for my next through SFO. I'll be the one with the "It's all about me" t-shirt.

sfogate likes this.
  9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is anyone ever actually happy on social network sites? all I ever see is people getting their shorts in a knot over the dumbest things. Makes me glad I have an actual life, even if I don't know (or care) what is "trending":cool:

Desidivo and Flyer1976 like this.
  10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This hits close to the vest as recently, United released an aircraft before I, along with several other passengers could connect. If they had waited five more minutes we all would have made it. Now I understand that aircraft can't always be held, but when you do release an aircraft when there are several passengers on a very tight misconnect then you do need to be prepared with decent hotel accommodations for those passengers. I was offered a hotel the other night by United that I wouldn't let my dog stay in.

Further, the customer service agents need to get better information when it comes to the cause of a misconnect. This particular flight I was on was delayed due to ops. However, as I was online behind several of my fellow passengers, they were being told that it was due to weather so no accommodations would be granted. This was unconscionable. I stepped in and told the customer service agent to look further into the cause of the misconnect. The aforementioned substandard accommodations were granted, but why do we have to fight?

flyforawg likes this.
  11. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the hotels sold out situation common/rare? Not much experience with SFO IRROPS, but I did run into this once when UA gave me a voucher to a hotel, that hotel refused to check-me in, and later the SFO CS just told me to book something myself and ask for reimbursement instead. Partially wondering if this is a common situation - if so seems like maybe UA should choose to start issuing vouchers for hotels within the city.

Although condolences and kudos for what you have to deal with.

12. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Holding flights: we often are unable to hold flights due to pilot and/or FAs work times limits. These hold decisions come from our mission control center in Chicago, who factor in all of the issues. And yes it drives us crazy when we can't get a hold when it "seems" so obvious that we should be getting one.
    2. Hotel rooms, paid by UA, is not a given. The policy is to provide hotel vouchers only when the airline is in control of the delay; crew times out, mx issues etc. Weather and/or ATC delays are not controlled by the airline and hotel rooms will not be provided.
    3. Sold out hotel rooms are not the norm but it does happen from time to time. During major sporting events or tech conventions are one reason for lack of hotels. Plus not all hotels will accept our airline vouchers. For example, Marriott by SFO will but a Marriott in another city north of SFO refuses to accept our voucher.
    4. Delay causes are coded by the departure city. That delay code is only for that one segment of the airplane's routing. Our Service Recovery department (Connect Planners) are the ones that research if your delayed inbound flight will receive amenities (ie food and hotel vouchers). Do they make mistakes, yes. You can always ask the Customer Service agent to call and double check.
    5. Substandard hotels: difficult to address this issue as everyone has their personal opinion however if the hotel you were sent to is unsafe, dirty or was in run down condition you should notify united dot com slash feedback to report this. Your feedback will be sent to the local station.

Flyer1976 and Steve GadFly like this.