SoCal Endeavour Fly-Bys

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thesterlingtraveler, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the landing at LAX was planned for around 11am. Didn't see any flight path details (beyond NASA centers such as Ames in NorCal) published, supposedly for security reasons.

3. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, if it's landing at around 11, I would think it could make it to those spots within in 1.5-2 hours. To get a good spot at the Queen Mary location (probably stand near the lighthouse by the aquarium), I'd think I would have to be there ~2 hrs prior. Thoughts?

My other thought is that I really hope I can get a few hours off of work for this!

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The Ames "countdown to flyover" is at 9am. From Ames it (she?) is supposedly flying to L.A. Can't really offer any advice on where to go down there. But I'd expect traffic and parking to suck. I was lucky to secure a parking pass for Ames, and it's early enough that I can squeeze it in before work.

5. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting event; have to make an effort to get to one of the places mentioned.

6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    She's supposed to leave Houston tomorrow morning at dawn, stop in ELP for refueling, and a NASA person said this morning it's supposed to do fly-bys in San Francisco on the way to LAX. Don't know if this is true, but thought I'd pass along for what it's worth. Fly-bys in Houston this morning were absolutely awesome - at about 1,500 feet, then one more pass over JSC even lower before it landed.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    She'll sleep in Dryden/Edwards AFB Thursday night and fly up to Northern California on Friday morning for fly-over of the Sacto capitol and supposedly the Golden Gate bridge (that's what the media's been reporting here). And, as I mentioned earlier, NASA Ames Research Center is getting a fly-over, too, and they've a public viewing event with exhibits and food trucks :)

8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also just announced a flyover of Tucson. Requested by former Endeavor Captain Mark Kelly, (husband of Gabby Giffords), new resident of Tucson. About noon at 1500'

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good! His last launch in May of last year was the last time I saw Endeavour.

10. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I was walking to my car around noon today, I saw the shuttle! It was doing a low pass very close to my place of employment. What an awesome sight!

Attached Files:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.