So, with all the new 2015 mileage earning rules, will you change carriers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by dhammer53, Dec 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of the legacy carriers in the US, looks like AA and USAir will (for now) offer actual miles flown to be credited to your frequent flyer account. United and Delta will be crediting lower amounts of miles to your account based on fare class. If you fly on the cheap, as many do here, you'll earn less miles than you would have earned in 2014.

My JFK/LAX transcon of 2475 miles will only credit half the miles in 2015. If I fly AA/US, I'll get full credit.

I've been reading that some domestic flyers will credit their miles to partner carriers. In some cases, this will result in full mileage being credited to your account (for now). ;)

How will your travel plans change in 2015?

dh

Flying Machine and satman40 like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will go with AA/US Air in 2015 but I will also be flying Spirit for some short haul domestic just due to routes out of MCI. I will only fly United or Delta if I have to based on schedule needs, etc.

satman40 likes this.
  3. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    My plans for 2015 won't change. I am one of the few that will make out quite well under the new UA rules. I am a 1K and fly a mix of last minute coach and international biz so it seems that I have all the bases covered.

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing for sure all miles have been devalued.

After April FC IND PEK, looking at 210,000, use to book at 67,500,

have one trip booked at 67,5, in April, even the BIS miles are going to be hard to come by and use.

Not much will change here.

5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it seems that everything today is being devalued, reduced, repackaged, or reimagined. I am looking at a personal trip to the land of the rising sun (to climb Mt. Fuji) this coming summer. As I am willing to submit it cattle class and am flexible time wise it looks like 70k (+650k if the +1 tags along - no coach for her!)

6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sticking with united at least at this point 925k lifetime miles by end of December so easy mm next year and then see where that goes though 1k is still easy reach as long as my biz travel doesn't change.

NYCUA1K, Dublin_rfk and traveltoomuch like this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA is too convenient out of EWR and as a MM I get to give a companion status (daughter this year, spouse next). Since AA would be the only carrier that has a more generous program and since I have been treated well by UA I don't see the point. While its a few years away at my current pace the 2MM status is achievable while I would still be likely to enjoy it. The reduction in miles that I expect in 2015 amounts to a few upgrades or a domestic RT in Y (regular not saver). With my companion getting CPUs and extra bonus miles, its not that bad.

traveltoomuch and mht_flyer like this.
  8. andyroo31

andyroo31 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Premier 1K on United, living near IAD and flying to DEN a lot, it won't be as bad for me as it will be for others. I'll still sneak in a few complimentary upgrades and have some regional and global ones as well. I guess the difference is that a mileage run becomes more toward status and PQM versus actually accruing real miles. 2015 is going to be really interesting - will AA go the revenue based model or will UA and/or DL switch if the elites abandon?

8MiHi, traveltoomuch and mht_flyer like this.
  9. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's got a be a workaround. Never give up:(

rob71, mht_flyer and andyroo31 like this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    My travel pattern shifted enough this year to make AA a more practical option more often than Delta. Even in a fortress hub on DL I typically end up connecting either for schedule reasons or because I fly into a lot of small markets served primarily through other hubs. I take a slight operational performance hit on AA, but AA flies to a number of my destinations that DL doesn't. I'm generally OK with that trade off and will be EXP next year. Work travel would be roughly neutral to a win based on historical MQDs with Delta's new scheme for earning, but discretionary travel earning gets killed, and that'd be a big bummer as discretionary travel is normally 20-30% of my flying. Just yesterday I booked a nice INTL F redemption with my wife using my 2014 earnings on AA.

mht_flyer likes this.
  11. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I'm in a phase of more "burning" than "earning". I will not be pushing for (higher) status anywhere.

Much like in 2014, I will likely be picking carriers trip-by-trip: burning Avios on short-haul US/AA routes, choosing UA on long-hauls (both paid and award) for E+, and considering B6 when their routes make the most sense.

When flying UA, I will likely keep crediting to Mileage Plus just because of E+ access - I have 1MM.

Longer term, Alaska Mileage Plan is catching my eye. I may start crediting paid AA travel to them rather than AAdvantage. And KrisFlyer is catching my eye for redemptions, though I haven't considered them for earning.

mht_flyer likes this.
  12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly AS, mostly. The only effect is I am somewhat discouraged from flying DL...

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No change here. With UA MM achieved a year ago and PQD making a 1K renewal unattractive (with the "D" being my own $) I became a free agent and will continue down that path in 2015. I will likely shift more flights away from UA and to AS as both fares and earnings make that option attractive.

I spent $$ on premium economy with BA this year and found that a reasonable alternative to spending $$,$$$ to earn 1K and then enter the GPU lottery. With LH starting to offer that option as well, I think that will be my premium option on some trips in the future.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    With 851K lifetime BIS miles and 308K RDM in bank after redeeming for the year, 2015 will see no change in my travel pattern. I will fly at least 100K BIS miles, mostly long haul, to requalify for 1K, get within 50K or less of 1MM, and add as many RDMs as I can to the bank in preparation for the lean and mean days ahead.

Such a "holding pattern" will also provide an ideal vantage point for observing how the brave new world of r-b.s. unfolds to gain insights that would inform the penultimate decision on the question du jour: "Should I stay or should I go?"...

mht_flyer, B1BomberVB and 8MiHi like this.
  15. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I fly for business most of the time, I look forward to this change.

8MiHi likes this.
  16. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    "penultimate" because the final decision is out of your hands?

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a DL fortress hub captive, I gain slightly from DL's new rrules for redeemable miles earning. I'm also DM so for the momeent I'm not adversely affected by the EC to C+ changes, etc. although not being able to easily get detailed receipts showing fare constructions could be a pain for some of my reimbursement requests.

I'm staying with DL for now, but I'm continuing to watch AA's program and schedules/aircraft to/from MSP.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:It obviously is and always has been. I can stay or go as I please...I simply am not ready to make the final decision at this time, waiting to see how things unfold.

19. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like AA and USAir are reading Milepoint. They sent out an e mail today telling the world how wonderful they are. :D

WhiteDesert and B1BomberVB like this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    But they did so by putting some muscle behind the claim...:)

andyroo31, mht_flyer and B1BomberVB like this.
  21. It is not less miles for everything as often implied in comments. Half of my Delta trips earn more miles; half less. Not sure it matters much as it is harder and harder to use miles on Delta without using their highest priced mileage tickets. I continue to earn Diamond status (am 2MM+) but benefits of that seem less and less apparent. I have purchased SkyClub membership so that Diamond benefit only makes my purchased membership less value because of the crowds. I used to value the SystemWide upgrades but they are never available. In 2014, I attempted to use Systemwide upgrades on 28 global segments. I succeeded on one short segment. What I enjoy is the quality of service on Delta and (with some exceptions) the quality of planes/seats up front. The exceptions? Some of the 757s should go live in the desert--they should not be used for paying customers especially for medium length flights such as flights to Hawaii. More importantly, the 50 seat RJs should be replaced as Delta promised to do over two years ago. They are not worthy of Delta's quality in other areas.

22. vladdrac

vladdrac Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been with United for many years and have stuck with them or at least Star Alliance for international and domestic regardless of price. Since this is out of my pocket, I go for the best airfares. Even at 5 or so trips to Europe a year, the new elite structure make the program worthless to me. Domestically I am going to go with Southwest. Internationally my traveling is dropping in frequency so I am just going with the lowest fare carrier and purchasing the "perks" I used to get for free.

23. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Southwest? To me the concept of cutting off your nose to spite your face comes to mind.

24. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm moving most (hopefully all) of my revenue travel from UA to AS (including AA crediting to AS) this year.

UA has pretty much done everything they could to make it clear that they don't want my corporate or personal travel anymore. AS has done the opposite.

-David

flyforawg and eponymous_coward like this.
  25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    How so? I find a lot of domestic F to be pretty pathetic, a big seat, drinks I'd spend $5 on at happy hour, and snacks that aren't even worth that, not even worth a $50 upgrade for a couple hours when I can get so much better food and drink on the ground for that cash. If WN works schedule wise and you don't care about showing off your Jack and Coke and big DYKWIA seat on DEN-PHX, and all you need is coach... what's the problem with WN?

Loyalty is for chumps (and the airlines like it if you make bad economic decisions like a chump because you need a plastic card to tell you how special you are). So what's wrong with giving up on the status game and purchasing on price/schedule/need, and buying extras with cash as you need them? Seems pretty rational to me.