So who will the cessation of LHR-GLA affect?

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by adl73x, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be sorry to see this route go at the end of March. I got my original BD Gold going back and forth to GLA.

Then, just over one year ago, the last of the Cheese Toasties was Eaten on Day of Receipt.

I switched domestic travel to BA, and now feel somewhat guilty that the route has become unviable.

Sorry.[​IMG]

Traveloguy likes this.
  2. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised they ditched it all together. One option would have been to retain the early morning flight and then maybe 2 additional flights timed for LHR departures in the evening back to Glasgow. I suspect these timings would have generated the largest number of Y fares and whilst you may not need to retain all staff currently employed it would mean many staff keep their jobs, BA have some competition and BMI potentially have a profitable route.

Traveloguy likes this.
  3. I've personally become affected but the closure, but lets be honest, BD have brought this upon themselves.

Poor yield managed meant flights were often empty yet looking to achieve high prices. Also the timetable has become less useful.

BA on the other hand has a better timetable, and generally the flights cost less. Added with better lounges (although I prefer the BD lounge girls), BD really has little to offer when up against BA on this route.

4. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    This affects me as well. Sorry to see the end of Bmi to GLA.
    I'm not keen on routing through EDI and then west from there back out to the westcoast.

Ideally, I would have loved flights from LHR to Preswick, but GLA was better than EDI for me.

5. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BA lounge at GLA is tiny. BD at least have the business and *Gold lounges which many times have offered direct boarding from the lounge. Those I will miss indeed.

6. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I too liked having the direct boarding from the lounge.