So.. when are the new cards coming?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by FlyingBear, May 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still have not received the new United Mileage card and the sticker on my old one has expired long ago. Did they move to print-your-own model?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you're talking about the Mileage Plus membership card -- wrong forum? Or are you planning to eat your card? :D

I got my new 1K card shortly after March 3. My wife got her Gold card a few days later.

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're tastier than you'd think :p

4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering where it went... Very strange, I rarely visit dining forum and I was nowhere close to the right forum here :(

5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see it's now in the right place.

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    But not the cards themselves :(

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would call them up. You should have received it by now...especially if you're flying and have flights booked.

8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I finally sent an email to United about this and got this *ahem* helpful response:

"Thank you for contacting the MileagePlus Service Center. As a general MileagePlus member, you don't need a physical membership card to receive credit. You can easily print a card online with just a few clicks:
    Visit www.united.com.
    Sign in and go to your “My Account” page.
    Click “Print Duplicate MileagePlus Card" located below the balance
    information.
    Or if this is your first visit, create a profile.
    Be sure to provide your MileagePlus number when you book a reservation,
    or do business with one of our partners. "

What the heck is a "general" MileagePlus member? And I never actually asked about receiving credit, I asked about getting the updated card... Fascinatingly unhelpful, yet again.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    One with no elite status.

genemk2 likes this.
  10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the email they sent to me, a bunch of my email is quoted as well as information about me. I can clearly see "Premier Status: 2" which is Premier Gold, making that response even more bizarre.

11. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    The response you got was inexcusable, especially considering you're not a general member.

Send an email to Smisek. After 4 calls to MPSC and nothing received, even after them allegedly sending expedited replacements, I sent an email to 1K Voice and copied Smisek detailing the number of times I had called, the different answers and empty assurances I kept receiving etc. That email resulted in someone from the Executive Offices in Houston contacting me and ultimately someone from MP (again in Houston) reaching out to me and getting my packet sent to me via FedEx.

FlyingBear likes this.
  12. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Took me 5 calls, 4 e-mails, and more complaining then I ever had to do in my life, to get my 1K card.
    I wish you much more luck then I had:rolleyes:

FlyingBear likes this.
  13. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    See, more "changes you are going to like." You get practice in telephone etiquette, anger management and typing all at the same time.

Where else are you going to get that type of value add I ask? Where?

:cool:

14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    We finally got our complete 1K packages about 3 weeks ago. Last week, we received two more 1K packages each bringing the total number of drink chits up to a decent number ;)

AZjohn and genemk2 like this.
  15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    So how long of a wait should I have after sending an email to Smisek? I finally got around to it 25 hours ago.

16. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think my first phone call I got was about 48 to 72 hours after I sent the email. Of course, I had already left the country on vacation so didn't realize they had contacted me. After trying to call them back upon my return and not getting through at all, I sent a second scathing follow-up email, and they called me back within 48 hours.

Hopefully it works out for you as well. It's beyond ridiculous that it's mid/late July and you still don't have yours.

17. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got a response today, saying that they are sending a new one, but that they have sent me one twice to my address on file... Quite interesting, considering that I changed my address on file before my "sticker" expired and there are no other ones on my profile. Even assuming that my mailman is using by *G status to get free drinks, I would've hoped to get that information sometime earlier. Something smells fishy though, why send twice if I only got to complaining two weeks ago?

18. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first phone call from them after the email was that they looked into it and see that packages had been sent out to me and that hopefully I finally received it. That prompted me to call the exec offices back only to be in a 45 minute endless hold loop with Rhapsody in Blue, which then prompted my scathing second email to Smisek. That ultimately resulted in some live phone conversations to get my package FedEx with a tracking number.

I wouldn't trust them just telling you a package is being sent with no firm confirmation that it was actually sent out.

19. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got it today! After I sent a follow-up email 1.5 weeks ago asking where exactly they were sending the card before and how about they provide me a tracking number for it.

Next on the list, getting miles for the flights I took in early July. There's been no response after I filled out the forms online. Feels like a pattern...

20. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad you finally got the card. And good luck getting your missing miles. I actually need to follow up on some I notified them of over 2 months ago.