So what do ya got pending out there? How do you track it all?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by marathon man, Jun 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have this vertical standing folder with stapled or paper clipped things in it and hand written scribbles for many miles and points to come. I call it my pending pile.

When something I signed up for finally posts or credits to me as promised, I toss the paperwork on it most of the time into my recycle bin and rejoice. I have been known to keep the good ones--the thick ones that took a ton of effort--in a bin in the basement just in case I gotta call on something from that 'case' but if my house flooded I would let them go.The 40+ page letter to Verizon FIOS complete with pictures and notes from other customers and correspondences with the Atty General's Office and the FCC was a keeper and that's saved electronically but you get the idea.

Nevertheless, my files of pending things to come never really diminishes or dies, it just carries on as a part of me and my ways of tracking everything.

That being said, I am one who advocates the thorough record keeping of everything and anything pertaining to all things marketing promo/rebate/miles & points/credit charge back and cancellations. It is very much up to us as individuals to keep good records on things or THEY will somehow screw us out of whatever it is we think we did or have coming to us.

Right now, for example, here are a few very small items I am waiting on - most will in fact post as expected, but one never knows. I'm listing them to see how everybody else does this sort of thing, if at all. For example, did you do an Idine promo and you are waiting for it to come to fruition, or did you sign up for something and cant find the original records on the promotion and now wish you kept better records... etc. I wanna hear it. Here are mine to date:

• 5/27 BofA Hawaiian Airlines Visa card app. It says they will notify me of a decision in 30 days.
    • 50-150 AA miles for a very short trip in late April overseas w/Budget rental car which I called about on May 2.
    • A dispute with my Citi MC over a $1,000 money order payment that I mailed in on March 22, 2011 with 5 others at the same time. they received all 6, credited 5 on March 25, 2011, credited the 6th on March 26, and then on May 11 they took it away. I did not know this until I tried to use that card on May 22 and it was declined. They are saying they never received the payment and I fired off mega proof and they have acknowledged receipt of this on June 4. I had mailed them several money order payments in the past and this time I am telling them it is they who has to look for their own error, not me.
    • aprox 201 AA miles to come from AAdvantage Mall shopping at Best Buy on May 15. It is too early to see those I think.
    • approx 50 AA miles to come from AA mall for Shutterfly purchase on May 10. Also too early.
    • 4/21 $38+ dispute for flowers bought for someone overseas that never delivered. Amex says it dealt with it but I am keeping the info on this until some time goes by and I can be sure it wont come back onto the statement.
    • 61/ return to BOSE for an item I bought --hoping to soon see the credit back on my credit card used to buy it online.
    • Some Health care information I needed to mail to my plan on 5/14. Will wait for them to contact me saying all is in order.
    • Paperwork on my June 5 cancellation of a free month long Netflix trial. To be sure nothing bills to anywhere.
    • 3/15 AA mall best Buy purchase of something that will only give me 12 miles but it's been a while and so I wrote to them in their email system on 6/6 and did screen shots of my message to AA.
    • 4/12 wife registered for the AA mall to receive 1000 miles. She did what the promo asked (watched a demo vid) and it says to wait about 8-10 weeks from 5/13 so this one will stay in the files for a while.
    • 6/5 cancellation of AMEX premium shipping plan for GCs. I had gotten several emails about this... one stating it would cancel on 6/5, one stating it cancels on 6/16, another stating it would bill me on 6/5 and another that came 30 mins after I called in to cancel on 6/5. Either way I cancelled it. Nothing has billed to the AMEX SPG yet.
    • 3/15 promise by citi to give my wife 5,000 AA miles for huge errors it made on her citi visa account and problems she had to deal with online for months. We emailed in again on 6/6 to remind them of their promise to give her those miles in 1-2 cycles.
    • 4/21 Mypoints 30 points for a Disney Cruise DVD I had sent to my mother. She received it. I did this same promo for myself and received mine, and got the points too, and I know one can do it again so long as a new MyPoints offer comes to you again, which it did. I checked the acct on 6/4 and still nothing has shown up for the second one. Generally speaking, most of my Mypoints experiences have turned out ok. We will see what happens here.
    • 5/20 purchase of ship to store kids mini trampoline at Walmart to give 8x per dollar for the $170+ item. Mypoints often says to wait at least 30 days so I will do that.
    • 4/19 e-rewards sign up and initial survey to obtain 500 Hilton points. Aint seen 'em yet.
    • October 6, 2009 I had a bloke from FT book my son a 75k DL award and agreed to give him 75k AA in return. I reminded him that I had 75k in an account but that it may expire in May 2011... Btw, what's the general rule on that one? Should I be like... dood... you kinda made me wait way too long and so sorry it's ovah? The miles have not expired cuz I did further activity in that account but still... I mean... you know.... And let it be known: I reminded HIM lat August that I still owed the miles! he was happy to hear from me but I kinda wanna know what is up now. Is 75k AA from Oct 2009 still worth that? What if rules change between now and whenever he does expect to redeem? etc etc.
    In some cases I do have all this stuff as PDFs or screen-shotted docs with notes, but generally speaking, because I tend to scribble things like who I called and when, etc, I like to have it all in print. The pile is about as thick as a ream of paper so there goes the environment. I tend to sift through them now and then and yeah, even as much of it is only about a few miles, they hold the same weight as ones that are worth far more, like that $1,000 citi payment issue.

Interestingly enough, most 'real life' stuff (non miles and points, etc) does not really end up in this pile because that doesnt involve something you WANT or are waiting for. Ya get a bill, you pay it or set it aside and pay it soon enough. You get a notice about something and probably have a file in your file cabinet for that company. But with this stuff, one needs to keep detailed flowing records.

I am providing a snap shot of sorts of my activity as it stands right now so that others here can say, ahhh so I'm NOT nuts... or, so they too can reexamine whatever they are doing with their own pending points issues.

PS: I track my coins separately and I check all my CCs and banks nearly every single day over morning coffee.

What do YOU do? What are YOUR issues? Big or small?

:)MM

JohnDeere19 and PedroNY like this.
  2. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very impressive detailed report! I wish I was this good. I have a "folder" into which I toss all of my things that I print out. I ussually print all offers or major correspondence, my printer automatically puts the date (time stamp) on all print outs. About 2 times a month, I go through that folder and see if all of those things posted, or if I need a follow up. Otherwise, I run an excel spread sheet for all credit card applications.

Cheers,

PedroNY

3. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Yeah I have that on my printer as well and so does anything out of my email of course, but you know how sometimes things do not always work out the way you want. For example, if you have to email using some company's internal method, then what I have been known to do is to actually screen shot the page where I enter my data into fields, the box where my typing of my problem is, and then I paste that shot into Word. Then I select all the copy I am sending them (because often times, once you hit send, it's gone and you cannot see what was sent) and then I screen shot the page that says thank you for your submission, etc.

When mailing things, I have even been known to have a picture of the postman taking my envelope and a photocopy of the envelope with stamps on it--unless I sent it return receipt from the PO. And if I do that, I want that $3.52 back!

I do also keep things like when BofA sent a promo saying my Alaska Visa ending in XXXX would earn double miles on purchases of this or that nature until X date. Then I needed the bank to give me a new card with a different number for that same account and I had to inquire as to whether this would apply to the new CC number. I keep the sheet because I want record of the promo as it came to me in their mail.

Some of this takes time but generally speaking, as with anything, it's just kinda like regular office/home office admin work here or there between daily stuff.

worldtraveller2 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I mostly just keep everything electronically in PDFs and JPEG screen shots. I'm not big time on promotions though. Usually only have 2-3 ongoing at any one time.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I print out the records/screen shots of the promotions/bonuses, make notes on them, and put them in the inbox, or a folder. I go back and check them 1-2 times a week. It works, but it doesn't feel well organized -- but over the years I've been able to find almost all of what I needed. And, I do fewer promotions now too than in past years - that helps to keep the piles down.

6. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have tried to explain to companies that the reason why many people don't do all types of promos is because (A) it's hard to keep track and we should not have to but if we don't we get burned, and (B) the time it takes to keep this all together.

They are often shooting themselves in the foot by not making it more thorough, complete and upfront. I have many times had to fight for my miles but I have never lost a 'case' yet.

JohnDeere19 and travelingmore like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I normally avoid buying items with mail in rebates, making the offer counter productive.

I do take advantage of rebates at Staples frequently, because they can be done on line with an immediate receipt/tracking number. Also, they are moving to a simpler system, where it is automatically entered in their computer system at checkout so you don't have to fill anything out, and the tracking number will be on your receipt.

JohnDeere19 and travelingmore like this.
  8. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like companies like Staples and others who track things internally and show you all records too. I do, however keep printouts of everything on those as well, just to be sure.

In other news...

My wife had been in contact with Citi about some missing miles again.

She had checked her AAdvantage account and never did see the post of 5,000 AA miles they had mentioned they would award in the email correspondence below.

This morning she received a message saying they had in fact been posted, so she replied stating that they had not, and so we made them a PDF of every month of her online AA statement from Dec to present showing all activity. :

Date: 06-07-2011
    Account Number : Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® XXXX
    Subject: Re: Other Account-Related Issue
    Reference: 89XXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mrs MM,

Thank you for using Citibank Online.
    Our records indicate your 5,000 bonus miles were awarded on 3/19/2011. These were reflected on your statement issued on 4/15/2011.
    We have requested a copy of your statement reflecting the bonus award. Please allow 7-10 days for receipt.
    Thanks for banking with us.

Sincerely,
    Donny Lester

Send Message

FROM MRS MM:

Hello again,

Thank you but perhaps it went somewhere else by mistake? I do not see it. I checked back on my entire online AA statement and saw no 5,000 miles posting from you or anyone. My husband has located the March email from Ms. Lehner (previous citi agent we dealt with on this matter) and we will email her an attached PDF of my entire AA activity from December to present to reflect these posts. Neither his nor my AAdvantage accounts show anything though...

So you can see the kibitzing one must go through back and forth for weeks and months in email and secured messages in order to sort simple things out. I fired off a complete pdf snapshot of her miles from Jan to present in her AA acct. And yet this stuff is supposed to also be tracked online for us. So much for computers!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    MM, I do something a little different to avoid this. I purchase a MO in the amt to pay the cc (or mortgage) then I deposit it into my checking account. I then electronically pay the CC (or whatever). I do it this way to avoid the issue you mentioned.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  10. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't sweat the little stuff like shopping portals. On hotels, flights, and car rentals I hang on to all the paper and email I have on it until it posts as expected. The US Grand Slam (RAR!) got me extra diligent, multiple print to PDF and screenshot per activity with a dog earred copy of the promotion full of scribbles.

Am I missing something as to why money orders are so popular in paying credit cards? I just pay online or less likely mail a personal check.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  11. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    i use a spreadsheet for this kind of stuff

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  12. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hard to explain right here and now but lets just say I've had about $400k in (legitimate) money orders over the past 5 months and so like coins I kinda had to spread their deposits around some.

Many banks I do business with were not particularly into accepting (and clearing) them so quickly. In two cases, attempting to deposit say $10k of these MOs every week resulted in two smaller banks I had newer accounts with to eventual close my accounts because they thought there was fraud even when there was none.I openly provided all details on myself and my activities but they were like, see ya buddy! No negative actions were reported against me but there's two small banks in and around my town that don't want me no more lol. They kinda hated coins too anyway so whatever.

I found that larger banks such as Citi did not have a problem with it but the nearest physical Citi to me is 45 mins both directions. It was therefore actually faster (and 100% successful until this one instance) to mail them right into a CC like when we all used to mail checks into CCs years ago. Like I said, it worked just fine with 3-4 different credit cards on several occasions without a hitch.

That's why the MOs.

Citi has since said it received all my information and is working on a solution.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  13. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well I got clarification to the missing 5k miles Citi said it gave my wife for her March card troubles--turns out it was a matter of how they posted it in with her CC spend and her and I not looking at exactly what that month's spend was--even though we know it was a lot (you know sometimes a posting depends on statement cut dates too) ...

Looks like they are going to award another 5k!

To: MM
    Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:00 PM
    Subject: AA Miles

Dear MM:

Wow, how frustrating!

You have a lot of patience! Thanks for that.

So, here is the information.

On the April 2011 statement, 39325 miles were earned for regular purchases, we added 5000 for the bonus I promised and the total amount that was sent to American Airlines for that statement was 44,325.

I did confirm this with American Airlines moments ago.
    It reported to MM wife's affinity number of XXXXXXX.
    It will not show up as a separate entry.

I realize that this has been a burden for several months and have requested that an additional 5000 miles be added to the account. I hope all is resolved shortly.

Thanks again for your continued patience!

Best Regards
    S.Lehner

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  14. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    MM, Thanks for the explanation but I might have a couple more ideas...maybe they'll be useful for others if not for you.

A. Instead of mailing MO's....a lot of ATM's take cash and/or check deposits.... You see the cash/check right on the screen and can print it on your receipt when you deposit. I find this handy to avoid tellers and their banter, such as "why do people pay you in MO's? or did you purchase these yourself?"

B. I spread out my deposits too but for the higher use I use banks/or credit unions where I've had a long relationship. I happen to have a CU that caps the deposit amt. A couple of years ago I called and asked why the limit and how could I change this so I could continue to bank here, they've had a lot of biz from me in the past, yadda yadda....they removed the cap!
    Sometimes a glitch will happen and some of the dep. is 'held'. When that happens, if I need it, I call the 800# (never local) explain I should not have a cap due to my long term relationship, they check the notes, apologize and release the cash. Usually there isn't a problem with the hold and I just let it fly. Less calls the better.

C. At one lg nat'l bank I have Pers and Biz accounts. I found that when I deposit into the pers. acct they might put holds on MO''s and when I dep coins and they ask me a lot of bizzy questions. But when I dep them to Biz acct no questions or holds. So once I figured that out the dep go into my biz. I found this true for both types of accounts in new banks as well.

D. I live in a small town so any and all tips from others will be valued.So if anyone has any tips...please pass on ;)

E. I don't come close to MM in the amt. of MO's :p Gosh, I wish I could so if anyone has any tips on where to buy pass them let's have a pv. conversation!

Hopes this helps you or someone at MP.

MM. Congrats on receiving the add'l 5k!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  15. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thanks for those tips!

Well the ATM flagged me too at some banks. One was BofA. But another sizable bank in my world is Citizens bank and they will accept these things in droves and they seem to credit the next day for me now. So going forward I will use them mostly, but yeah, anything to avoid the tellers hahaha

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  16. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The majority of my documents are PDFs. Even if they're hard copies, I'll scan them then save them to my hard drive and email them to myself with keywords in the body of the email so I can search for it if necessary. I've set up MANY labels in gmail to help me split things up.

17. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This I like. saves paper, makes it easy to get to and not lose. I just gotta start doing that more.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  18. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really ends up saving time in the long run. I hated doing at first, but after the first issue came up, I couldn't have been happier searching my email and then forwarding a pdf...simple, clean, easy.

19. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    except in those odd cases where you have to deal with entities that do not accept email attachments... like a state or home depot. Then its FAX. omg how I hate FAX! Who the heck faxes anymore except realtors and why do they still?

the funniest thing, speaking of that, was when we bought our house and the realtor was doing the closing papers with me on fax at my office and these needed to also be signed by my then very busy wife at her office. So to save us both time and effort, I snipped out copies of her hand written signatures that she gave me and pasted them onto the forms and sent them all back. the purchase went through and everything happened as planned. We got the house and then weeks later they sent us copies of these papers for our records. Well you could TOTALLY see how those cut pastes of her sigs were stuck on there. the fax machine picked up lines around them cuz it's raised. hahahhaa

Our home was bought on near fraud. Screw em all!

k2o and JohnDeere19 like this.
  20. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no fraud in this situation. And when real loan docs and deeds are signed the notary verifies identification. And yes, I am an officer of the court, and I do have a badge.

21. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easy...print PDF and fax or snail mail!

22. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Im a notary as well lol
    of course what use is it? I cant notarize myself lol

23. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yup, true. but still, i hate fax lol
    it always comes out like... a fax

and then there's this:

say a company or some official entity tells you and someone else that you both need to sign and fill out the original. No faxes or copies. In other words, they want a first generation signature.

So you fax the original to someone and they sign it. ie, their signature IS an original ON the paper and is NOT copied or faxed but the page itself was BEFORE it was signed. The only thing that was a copy, therefore, is the page the entity gave you before it was signed. Well, there are some idiots out there that would not allow this. That has always bugged me. Then again, I'm the one who is chasing 12 Best Buy miles too, aint I?

24. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok so I had mentioned this in my 'pending' files:

6/5 cancellation of AMEX premium shipping plan for GCs. I had gotten several emails about this... one stating it would cancel on 6/5, one stating it cancels on 6/16, another stating it would bill me on 6/5 and another that came 30 mins after I called in to cancel on 6/5. Either way I cancelled it. Nothing has billed to the AMEX SPG yet.

On the email that stated they would bill me, it says they would also send me a $25 GC for signing up. Well I did not want to spend the money just to get back $25 so I canceled.

Today I checked my SPG and HH statements online and still nothing shows up in terms of any $99 bill for the service.

BUT the $25 GC from AMEX has in fact arrived at my doorstep!

My question in life... keep it and try to use it or 'be honest' and cut it up or call them to tell them to cancel it?
    heheheh if you know me, you know what I may end up doing--if I can, that is. I will wait a bit longer and check my AMEX bills.