So that explains it!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by shane, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew something was brewing when gleff retired from his role at FT, but I had no idea how mature this site was already. Maybe it's just hindsight or placebo, but I couldn't help but notice a distinct dip in activity at FT the past week.

I saw the post today on View from the Wing today and signed up. It makes sense now.

I wish FT no ill-will as it was my home for many years, but I have a feeling that many of the heavy hitters have defected and the amount of useful, accurate information will be much higher here. Plus all the Web 2.0 & Social Networky stuff will will make this feel much more like a community.

Had anybody else noticed a lull?

jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'd been playing around in TopFlier, which is the new Amex/FT toy, the past month. It was doing pretty well, but it has basically died the past 5 or 6 days. The top 5 or 6 positions haven't gained more than one or two points, and there have only been a few new posts a day.

Of course, you could stop in there anyway and like me a few times, I want to win another $25 gift card. :)

2soonold and shane like this.
  3. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could. But there's something nice about being a member of a forum that isn't "brought to you by..." [​IMG]

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    didn't you mean to say "bought to you by..." [​IMG]

2soonold likes this.
  5. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The partnership with Amex was basically the last straw in souring me in posting there. I have no desire to do anything that could possibly benefit Amex in ANY way!

jbcarioca, airshadow and Gargoyle like this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I refused to participate there because their award system excluded a substantial part of the Community.

7. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They had an award system?

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I certainly understand that. I just spent three weeks wrestling with them to get my 2010 threshold bonus- they kept insisting my spend wasn't sufficient, when I could log onto my account and see the proper amount there. I suspece they short changed a lot of people on bonuses from December.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh oh, you'all aren't going to like me if you find out who I work for.[​IMG]

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It involved gift cards to those with the highest rated threads, but it excluded anyone under 18 and anyone that lived out of the U.S.

11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Actually we really like having employees of the companies we deal with on this board. It opens up communication, and gives you a really important feedback. We just hope it's a two way street.
    I thought the cutoff was 21 year olds? (which is worse than the 18 year old cutoff you listed).
    I wonder if the non-U.S. thing had to do with the wide range of different laws around the world regarding contests and prizes. Years ago contests in the U.S.excluded residents of certain states for that reason.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're correct. I'd rather they not have contests at all if you're going to exclude a significant part of your membership.

kiwi, mowogo and Gargoyle like this.
  13. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen, Sister. Couldn't have said it any better.

14. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree with Gargoyle -- and absolutely nothing personal as far as the above post. We've all had our experiences with large corporations and sometimes relationships end, but it's never personal. :)

(Although secretly I'll admit it felt good to say "Amen" after I too was denied a promised bonus, which caused me to cut AMEX loose after so many years)

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's still sometimes true today for certain states such as RI, NY, and FL.

16. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems slow everywhere.

17. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that all FF travel topics have already been discussed. There's simply nothing more to say. Even new promos are just repeats of past promos which were already discussed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are ebbs and flows in different communities. Now that we have 2 websites to read you do wonder whether we should be doing something different, should I really spend 4 hours of every evening reading a laptop screen when i could be reading a book. :confused:

I am disappointed to see that the Flyertalk crowd has now been split into 2 groups.

3 years ago I joined Facebook and it has changed a lot on the way we communicate with everyone.

Gargoyle, sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do like the camaraderie that is here, and dislike the heavy-handed moderation sometimes there, but I also want us to get the content maturing rapidly here. Splitting the base- that is less than ideal, I agree. others suggest that there are many competitors, true enough, but not so perfectly similar as are these two.

sobore likes this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There are tens of millions of active members of frequent flier programs; combined raw membership of these two sites is not more than 400k, and active membership probably less than 10% of that. So, they are a drop in the bucket of the potential "market". The hope is that the two sites develop very distinct personalities, so that overall they appeal to a broader range. At the start, word got out among members of the other site, and a lot of us came over here (or still frequent both sites). That may well change as MP matures.

jbcarioca likes this.