So my friend says ... Just out of curiosity

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by dhammer53, May 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have a wedding to attend later in the year. Rooms have been blocked at a chain where I have points. The cash rates are decent if I want to go that route. I asked our host for a list of other hotels close by. Her list + Google maps were a great help in planning our stay.
    I know my wife wants to stay at the same property as her friends, but if I can get a better rate using points at another close chain, well, you know what I'll do. ;)

After a back and forth e mail, my friends writes the following:

Just out of curiosity, if you have points, why would you not want to make it convenient and easier for yourself and have a room where the wedding will take place and where most (or) everyone will also be located?

I tried explaining the rational why, but let's face it, she doesn't understand the mind of a Milepoint member. :D
    I'm sure you the reader, understands. ;)

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your wife might understand that "You know, honey, when we take that next international trip to Expensiveville, wouldn't you rather stay at the Opulent Palace instead of the Roaches Inn? It will be all Roaches if we stay at the host hotel!"

boondr, skyvan, General_Flyer and 4 others like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pay cash, earn more points for Expensiveville, and make the wife happy.

Trust me. :)

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I go for maximizing points value and earning elite qualifying stays as much as anyone on MP, but if it's a social event, there's a lot to be said for staying near her friends.

And often it's worth pleasing the wife. We definitely don't mattress hop nearly as often when we travel together.
    Maybe that's because sometimes the Milepoint member acts a bit deranged ;)

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the price seems to be not much of an issue, it would be best to be at the same hotel as the wedding party.

Did you have difficulty locating the recommended hotel?

My father made my brother’s wife do the something similar before their wedding, i.e. ask the wife to by to find another venue that allowed dogs. I've always wondered why he would force the (busy) bride to spend time finding alternate locations when the process would be the same regardless of where Google is loaded from?

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Give up yet?!

Hard to believe I'm saying this on Milepoint, but sometimes there are things more important than miles and points. That said, we are attending a wedding in San Francisco for distant relatives that we're really not close with and my wife could not care less where we stay (her family) but if it was a close family or friend, we'd be at the host hotel even if I had uber points and status next door!

42 years of marriage have taught me to pick my fights!;)

That said, when I saw the title of the thread it reminded me of a few years back when a nephew with much more chutzpah than money asked what I thought about using my many points to pay for the rooms of his friends!

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure I'll wise up in 8 years. ;)

I decided to make the reservation at The Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach hotel. I'm hoping my gold status will provide me with a water view.

8. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I am invited as a guest, I book at the property that the event is at, I would never ask a host to provide me a list of alternitive accomidations. I play lots of miles and points games however life is not all about miles and points, there is something to be said for being a good guest. I would hate it if someone showed up to my house for a dinner party and they brought mc donalds becasue they did nto think they would like the food.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully not make the wrong decision, though it looks like that ship may have sailed.

particlemn likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So, is that the host hotel, or is the water view going to be the complimentary bottle splashed in your face? :p

11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are high school friends, so it's hard to hurt their feelings.
    I would never ask for a list of alternate accommodations from someone that I hardly knew.

iolaire likes this.
  12. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    While sleeping on the couch in that waterview room........

13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Westin is the host hotel. How about sending me one of your famous bonus bottles for splashing. Maybe a grower champagne. ;)

Bay Pisco Shark and boondr like this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mate...stay where your wife wants to stay.

15. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good rule to follow

16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would have, but your kitchen is a mess and you'd never find it. :D

17. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK - our work is done.

Any other couples need counseling from the MP pros?

particlemn, dhammer53 and boondr like this.
  18. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I duno. I have my wife booked on a rt and me booked on a hidden city one way sitting next to each other to a wedding this summer. IF the flight goes south I might need some help.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And your answer was?

20. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I love him dearly, don't know his friends, and had to explain that it would be no different than me writing a check for his friends' rooms. They just don't realize the hoops we go through to "earn" them and see them as though someone came down and gifted them to us. I explained they represent real value to me that supports our vacation lifestyle. I think he got it!

21. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heads have been shaken and advice given, but I'll add this two cents.

We married almost two years ago, and blocked out rooms at two downtown hotels for out-of-town guests. Had our blocks not filled past a specified (negotiated) minimum number of rooms, we would have been financially responsible for the unfilled rooms. Yes, they filled.

Since then, I always lean toward taking the the blocked-off rooms for weddings/reunions/events.

22. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting point. In the 90's, when I was doing trade shows, blocks of rooms were held for attendees at lower than average room rates. When Quikbook and Priceline came on the scene, many trade show attendees used those sites to get much lower rates. I remember show management complaining about it. I'm still amazed that show management offers rooms. I guess not everyone is travel savy like us. ;) I know lots of frequent flyers that have never used a discount website. :eek:

One last thing. When my son got married last year, he managed to get a good rate at the Renaissance in Westchester County, with a minimum amount of room guarantees. Acorn didn't fall far from the tree. :D

In my case, I decided to use my SPG points. Last time I did that, I got a frantic call from the mother of the bride because I wasn't on the (paid) list of guests.

23. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:

But then sometimes people may think you're out to show off if you stay in the same hotel as them, and you get upgraded to one of the top suites - they won't realise you are paying a quarter of what they are!

24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds a little personal! :D And you'd think pleasing the wife would result in MORE mattress hopping!

That's a great place and I've had good luck with upgrades there. The beach being across the street helps, too.

25. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just out of curiosity where were you hoping to stay? The only other SPG property close to the Westin is the much nicer W ( but that scene is not some people's style) I hope for your sake and your wife you weren't planning to stay at the Sheraton which is a little ways away ( and a crappier property even after the remodeling)

Personally unless I was actually in the wedding party I would stay at where I wanted .. sometimes a little breathing space from friends and family is not a bad thing (points not withstanding)