So long Diamond Club… and thanks for all the miles!

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by Saracen, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday, my account ticked over into a new membership year, and with zero status miles, I was cast down to Silver. After three years of Gold with BD, it's a sad occasion. Unlike many BD*Gs, I actually flew BD a fair bit when I was LHR and DUB based. I'll never forget the crazy one days runs from LHR to DUB and back, the Green Mile, the opening of the Star Alliance Lounge at T1, and DUB before the refurbishments. Alas, I'm now on the other side of the world, and with unpredictable flying patterns, figured OZ would be the way to go. Holding a Star Alliance Gold card in my hand, valid till Sept 2014, suggests I was right. But still…

I'll miss many things: getting a status bonus on all *A flights, the crazy 55k bonus (for that rare occasion when I do pass that mark), the fantastic 1000 miles per night HHonors credits, the family program that let me put everyone's miles in my own account, the look on lounge attendants' faces when they see a card they don't recognise, so much…

With 300k miles to spend, I'll still be dealing with the Indian call centre, and hope they'll open those up for upgrades some time soon. Who knows what redemption rates will be like in a year! And as a non-Gold, I now have to book a week out :(

There is one lifeline: I _could_ ask for them to match my FB Gold I got earlier this year, but with no flights credited there, they might not like it. Any experiences?

lwkatya and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    No doubt you'll miss dealing with Joanna too, she makes it that much easier and is probably the main reason I stick with BD despite the lure of OZ and the likes....

lwkatya likes this.
  3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, Joanna made so many of the awkward aspects tolerable. What a help!

Although it's worth saying things elsewhere (SQ and OZ) just seem to work – flights credit, hotel miles arrive, and I've not had to do anything – quite refreshing!

lwkatya likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'll requalify BD*G this year, basically I credit all of my short hop US AIrways flights to BD. All of my DCA-LGA, DCA-PIT, etc etc. United doesn't give me 500 mile minimums for those flights, so I take my BD 600 mile minimums and they add up over the course of the year. And it's nice to be a requalified gold and credit paid F fares because BD is pretty generous there. I suck up the fuel surcharges on redemption but hate dealing with the call centers. And I figure one day my BD*G may make me a LH SEN, and I just love the sound of being a 'Senator'.... especially since I'm DC-based and will never even get elected to the House of Representatives...

Lufthansa Flyer and adl73x like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Senator Leff from the great state of West Lufthansia :)

6. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    That prospect of geting LH Sen is attractive. What do you reckon they'd make of a status match request based on the FB Gold that I got status matched from my BD Gold? ;)

7. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    They (LH) had a matching promotion in June to lure FB metal to M&M. Alas now over, but Mrs adl73x had matched her NZ*GE to FB Plat which LH matched to SEN - extending her near expiry *G by 2 years :)

cennas and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My BD*G will also come to an end in december. I've started using UA MP this year since there will be enough travel for 1P status which helps with intra-US upgrades, etc. I'm hoping some sort of senator announcement happens soon, but unlikely for this calendar year. I called LH yesterday to ask about an upcoming LH flight and noticed a statement in their "call on hold" queue saying that you can call LH directly for ticketing on both OS and BD metal. Makes sense since LH has the majority stake in them, but hadnt noticed that before. Perhaps a sign of further assimilation into the LH family.

Besides Mrs. 744 just became BD *G so I can ride her coat tails to senator-ship. My training her will payoff dividends to me.

HPN-HRL and adl73x like this.