So how far is too far for a weekend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by daninstl, Oct 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like most Americans I don't have unlimited vacation time. So my question is this. I'm not rich and can't charter a Learjet. I live in Kansas City and can fly out of KC, Wichita or St. Louis in my normal life. I'm at a disadvantage as we are Hubless. How far can you fly for a weekend without just spending all your time in airports? Is a 3 day weekend too short to go international? Hawaii? Seems like it. Maybe Mexico or Canada are it? Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this issue. Thanks.

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me ... (LAX Based) I would say domestic and NAFTA countries :). East coast I tend to avoid ... since flying out there takes 1 whole day already (Flight time + Time Change) ...

jbcarioca and daninstl like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are 24 hours in a day. If it takes more than 6 hours (1/4 day) to get there, then it is probably too far. I have done JFK-SFO for a long weekend and because I started out at JFK, the time difference also worked for me...

4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a long weekend R&R, my thumb rule, ex-NYC is about 4 hours. If I fly early morning, I should be at the beach by my lunch time :)

4hour.jpg

So it pretty much covers upto San Juan, PR or Cancun MX. The other circle is your's ex-MCI :) I've done London and Amsterdam on long weekends couple of times, flying Friday night, and coming back Tuesday night, when Mondays are off.

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keeping in mind that the OP will most likely have a connection to get to those places within their respective circle (unless it is a WN non-stop destination ;).) So, that 4-hour radius becomes more than likely a 6-hour radius.

6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least my thinking is accurate. I've been thinking Caribbean or Mexico might be my limit, besides Canada. I guess it really depends on routes and connections. Historically I've had a hard time finding quick connections from MCI or STL to places like Cozumel or Eastern Carb. locations. Mexico City is tempting but not sure what there is to see there. I guess for a weekend it doesn't matter too much.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of NYC I've done a Friday night departure, spend Saturday in Europe and come home Sunday. A few times. I've also done Thursday departure landing in SYD on Saturday morning and home on Sunday. Once.

I don't do those as often anymore but every now and then a few days across an ocean isn't so bad for a weekend. If you go deep South America the time zone change impact is much lower and redeye flights both ways.

ETA: I also have Korea booked from the East Coast for Thursday-Monday later this year. I was originally planning to come home on Sunday but decided to take the extra day. Early next year will be Thursday-Monday in Eastern Europe.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    jbcarioca, Denro, kiwi and 3 others like this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Theflightdeal guys posted a deal out of PHL

Ouch, that is pushing the limit - But you get 26+K miles ;) if you have 14+ days of vacation owed to you ;)

Older you get, the the body cannot handle, a brutal beating - [Off topic] No wonder, Flutie never could hack NFL ;)

jbcarioca and daninstl like this.
  9. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Normally I'd see what I most wanted to do and then see what areas have that, that make sense to fly too. If you want an international flavor you can do Mexico and Montreal from kansas in a three day weekend. If you want beaches california, southeast, and northeast aren't too bad. Big city life try seattle, san fran, philly, or NYC.

You have a lot of choices, but if you can find any direct flights from your airport that will save you a lot of time, so you could look at where the nearby airports fly direct too.

jbcarioca, anileze and daninstl like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Probably not a weekend with that schedule, though, right??

11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a part-time degree in CWL while living in YUL. It involved flying Thursday evening YUL-LHR, travelling cross-country by bus or train Friday morning, classes Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday. Then home Monday. Eight times.

Bottom line: you can go as far as you are motivated to go in the time available.

12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to connect for almost anywhere (fly out of a hub - WILL NOT USE THAT AIRLINE!) With a little research and luck I have made several nice Weekender trips. EWR POS, EWR SJO, and one half mileage run half long weekend PHL LON.

jbcarioca, anileze and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aruba is great, and you clear customs in Aruba., we do JA for a day trip,and have done CanCun.

I have done 4 day trip to PEK.

jbcarioca, anileze and Flyer1976 like this.
  14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taking overnight flights gives more time at the destination to do stuff. Central America and South America both have plenty of overnight flights in both directions.

jbcarioca, YULtide and anileze like this.
  15. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The beauty of being self employed...3 day weekends and easily become 4 or 5 day weekends with a quick phone call. Plus living only a 45-60 min drive (depending on traffic) from IAH my options are pretty much unlimited. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

16. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or being retired.

daninstl, jbcarioca and Photonerd71 like this.
  17. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even better. :)

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

jbcarioca and Counsellor like this.
  18. NYCVSFlyer

NYCVSFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done NYC to LHR, CDG, AMS, ZRH, MXP & MAD out on a Friday night, back on Monday (or out on a Thursday night, back on Sunday). Not bad as you get 2- 2 1/2 days at your destination. I actually have found this easier as I get older (less need for sleep, I suppose).

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Add another idiocy point to the list...I'm flying to AMS tomorrow night and turning around to come right back 100 minutes after I land. But the outbound is the final MD11 commercial flight so I'm OK with that.

20. Rob van Cutsem

Rob van Cutsem Active Member

Status Points:
    I am living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and basically for a weekend we travel throughout Europe, so about 4 hours max. The advantage is that the airport is 10 mins by train.... We fly to Barcelona, Madrid, Roma, Budapest, Istanbul, Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, Paris etc. all European cities are within 4 hours or so

21. Rob van Cutsem

Rob van Cutsem Active Member

Status Points:
    That is a long flight for a 100 minute stay:)

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup. But it is all about the flight, not the stay. ;)

At least that's what I keep telling myself. :oops:

jbcarioca and kiwi like this.
  23. Conga John

Conga John Active Member

Status Points:
    Chicago to London on Thursday evening and back on Sunday evening. I consider it a very easy red eye. As long as everything is on time it's great.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reading this in Tokyo right now. Left US Thursday night. Leave Tokyo Sunday night. 48 hours and then out.

Worth it, but not too often. Only worth it with a nonstop.

daninstl and jbcarioca like this.
  25. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to like having a 4 day weekend if possible for europe, but 3 can work, especially if you can get a thurs night departure for friday morning arrival. You then have most of friday, all of saturday, and potentially most of sunday, depending on destination. Fly back as late as possible on sunday. Or take off monday and leave friday. As long as you can get an overnight flight eastbound, not burn vacation day of departure, and get enough sleep on the plane that you aren't burnt out you will have plenty of time to make the trip worthwhile.

Other continents/routes with similar considerations also apply. If you can fit a bunch of travel in during sleeping and after-work hours your long weekend range expands quite a bit.

jbcarioca likes this.