So does Delta look better now by comparison?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by James K., Nov 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are many reasons that Skymiles still suck, and United's online booking engine is still way, way, way better (comparing the two is a joke -- the first time I went to United.com and saw how easy it was to look for an award I felt like my Russian father-in-law did the first time he saw a Western supermarket) but after United's latest round of changes, I wonder if I wouldn't rather have a pile of Skymiles than a pile of Miles(plus).

I mean, yes Air France isn't the sexiest product, but if I want to fly to Europe, I think I'd rather pay 125k to do so on Air France than 140k to do so on Lufthansa. Now of course if you're a first class flier you'd still take *A because, no matter how overpriced, they do offer a product, but the gulf has definitely been narrowed, no?

Newscience, William JLP and anileze like this.
  2. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    :D That's pretty funny.
    I have flown Delta exclusively and so I can't compare the two but I know one of the biggest knocks people throw at Delta is "Skypesos" and I wondered if this evens that part of the playing field for people. For me I don't have any other options really but for others I wonder if it makes a big difference.

Newscience, William JLP and anileze like this.
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I have every option, I also fly Delta exclusively. While I've had my service issues now and then, I am totally satisfied with my DM program benefits. (Been DM for years) I get upgraded almost 100% domestic and so far this year, 100% international. (A pleasant surprise when the back is oversold.) I've been able to 'purchase' at least 10 great round trip or multi city tix, always in First or BE and almost all have been reasonable in miles needed. I'm leaving for a 5 week vacation 12/17. I was able to get it all (MIA-CDG-OTP...then OTP-CDG-JFK-FLL) for 100,000 miles, all in BE or First. Most segs are on AF and I planned the return that way solely to fly back in the A380 in BE.

Anyway, I'm just adding my 2 cents. I haven't had any issues with any reward redemption in years. It takes a lot of looking and maybe a call or 2, but it happens for me.

William JLP and anileze like this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    For 120K deltadineros, you can fly Biz on AF to India with one stop-over allowed at the gateway-CDG. If your destination is BOM, you are likely to get DL metal via AMS. I'd say AF biz award (is)was better than CO's 777 Biz first.

William JLP likes this.
  5. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never ever gotten a mileage ticket with Delta for the minimum mileage award. Maybe it's me but I don't like waiting until midnight 300+ days till flight time to get those limited seats on the flight. I do have a considerable amount of miles from them that I hold for emergencies but only accumulate them when there's nothing else. What does it mean to me to have only DELTA miles...Don't Even Leave The Airport!

William JLP likes this.
  6. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:

After working my way up the elite ladder, I have found that DL low-level award availability has increased substantially when I have logged in as a Diamond, at least for domestic use. United's award booking engine is very nice, even when I am just looking for flights to spoon feed to US Air agents.

YULtide and Newscience like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Imagine that! And on UA forums they call (not as much now) UA's booking engine ".bomb" and that is not a compliment because it is meant exactly as it sounds...:D

As for the thread title question, the biggest change at UA will be in redeeming TPAC and TATL (long-haul) awards on partner airlines, where DM members will now do much better in terms of the number of miles required. But if that is very important to you, then you'd be better off going to the dAArk side. Please check out this great website for direct, head-to-head and quantitative comparisons of the 4 large US airlines that provide information that can assist in answering the thread title question.

What may remain true is that UA MP members will still benefit from more availability, especially for TPAC awards. For folks like me who have never redeemed and do not intend to start redeeming for long-haul award travel on partner airlines, the effect of UA's latest programmatic change will be insignificant to nonexistent.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Newscience likes this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the miles programs devalue service and upgrades become more important, and in my experience Delta does quite well there.

Newscience and Misplaced Texan like this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's you. The only time I've felt the need to book that far in advance was when burning HH points in Tahiti (a destination United miles don't even go) pre-devaluation with only a 2 week window with enough vacation to spend the points.

Honestly, I rarely get around to burning my other miles as I earn more DL miles, and typically go to them first when spending. Just takes slightly more effort/knowledge to search for space, and maybe a slight bit more flexibility, but to be honest it is just not as terrible as people make it out to be.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Delta looks better by comparison.

There are still a lot of places where the UA chart is cheaper in J than the DL chart for own-metal, but the partner issues make it a pain.

I don't think that any of the "maximizers" are going to jump ship to DL over this. But it is going to cause some number of people for whom DL was a better fit but who were flying UA for the miles to change over.

I'm one of those people. I was literally going out of my way to fly UA (driving to MCO rather than taking DL out of MLB). The recent changes killed the incentive to do that.

Wandering Aramean and Newscience like this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    My long-haul trans-Atlantic experiences have been superb on LH, to the point where if I have a choice between UA and LH, it's always LH for me (coach seating). That aside, I've had a great AF experiences on the few times that I've flown them (again on coach seating). The French wine served with the meals was fine, and there's no limit to how much they serve, nor do they demand a $7/bar btl fee, like UA. The AF air crew on my flights were great, so much so that I easily struck up a friendship with the AF purser on a return flight from CDG to IAD. I've had this happen in first class on US-based airlines, but never in coach (especially when the air crew on UA couldn't run away from the coach passengers quickly enough!). And, in my (admittedly easily impressed) experience, the AF lounge at CDG was great!

12. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh. My two attempts were both somewhat complex:

2012: IAD-CDG-FCO, VCE-CDG-IAD
    2013: YUL-CDG, CDG-MRU, MRU-CDG-IAD

and I got them both for the minimum (100k and 120k, respectively) and without too much searching. However, I did book 330 days out, so that is a point

13. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    What? You term those itins "complex"? '12 seems like a simple OJ construction to me, and the second is a simple OJ with a single-sector gateway stopover. Not that they are not useful itins, but I can't agree they are complex.

14. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    *Shrugs* Okay.