So, Automatic Upgrade Or Ask?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by JTidler, Mar 5, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. JTidler

JTidler New Member

Status Points:
    I have never used the HHonors app, I booked a room and was told I would be able to use it to receive my free Dimond Upgrade when I do digital check-ins. Has anyone had good/bad luck with this?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not yet tried it, but it should be possible to upgrade oneself to the exec floor since that's a Diamond benefit that's spelled out in the T&C. However, there must be exec floor room availability in order for it work. What is not likely to work is self-upgrade to a suite because such upgrades are complimentary and must be approved at check in, usually by the manager on duty. It is why I have not tried to either check in online or to self-upgrade to the exec floor, as I would rather first make a pitch for a suite upgrade at the front desk by physically checking in...

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's your front desk pitch?

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    At check in, almost invariably I would be told something like, "As our valued Diamond member we have upgraded you to the executive floor", which would be the cue for me to say something like, "I was hoping to be considered for a complimentary Diamond suite upgrade because it seemed to me that there was still availability when I last checked" [I usually do check before getting to the hotel if I have smartphone access, but I would say that anyway]. At this point, you'll know if they are seriously considering your request by how they go about addressing it. If they immediately say there is no availability, as is often the case at properties in the US, then chances are they are lying. However, it is usually more the case that they would say that they would check, and then they would either give you a nod [a full or junior suite is available] or they would tell you that nothing was available. As my stays tend to be relatively long, I would often be offered a suite for the next day on when one would become available, which would mean that they did genuinely look.

That's the basic pitch, but depending on the situation I might appeal to the fact that I would be staying for such a relatively long time (4+ nights) and that I do tend to work a lot on the road as "an academic", so the extra working space in a suite would make the stay more comfy. It's worked, especially when the hotel is also the meeting venue...

That's the approach that has worked great for me over the last 4 years. The key may be not to seem too serious about it, so usually I am good-natured when checking in (I am naturally good-natured anyway ;)) and I am sure it helps. One thing is certain: you will miss 100% of the shots you never take!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They know you when you check in, just say thank you, and ask them how their day is going...and wait for their response.,..

You take an interest in them, and they will take interest in you...

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the Hilton app check-in last week at the Conrad Dalian, China. About 24 hours before check-in the app ask me if I wanted to check-in. It showed/offered me a view of 3 floor layouts 3 and on each floor an identical looking room (Junior suite) i.e. 2903, 3003, 3503. I did not choose the room right way but canceled check-in process. The offered rooms remain the same. (I think low occupancy) When I actually presented my ID at Check-in it was the exact room that I had chosen. It certainly was an upgraded room at least 2 maybe 3 categories. I had chosen the points & cash option and received 3000 HH points for this stay. Also a Teddy bear and a boat for my son. ;-)

NYCUA1K and satman40 like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say ask it never hurts to ask (very nicely). Even if you do not get a complimentary upgrade, it makes other follow up requests (if any) like late checkouts more easier. Taking an interest in them as an individual will certainly help. They work a tough job. Any positive interactions are always appreciated by the staff.

Thomask likes this.