So... anyone got that status bump?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, May 13, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone here getting selected for the rather controversial status bump?

redtailshark and 8MiHi like this.
  2. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is his status bump of which you speak?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently there's no 1k to GS version, so nope. I did become a 1k+ though using my card and a sharpie. So I have that going for me.

8MiHi, njs281, rggale and 6 others like this.
  5. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not here. Still Gold because of MM status, with nary a flight mile lo these last 4 or 5 years.

If it weren't for the occasional credit card mile that posts (and occasional award redemption), UA would probably have figured I died.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bearing in mind that the status bump is going to
    be either an incentive or a reward. They're not
    going to do nothin' for nothin'.

Counsellor and Flying Machine like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And a poke in the eye for those who qualify by spending money and time in airplane seats.

Dublin_rfk and Steve GadFly like this.
  9. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Closing in on about 80K hits that thread. I would say it's concerning to most UA FF.. Let's see how it all pans out. There may be a silver lining in the not too distant future to retain the loyal.. Safe Travels..

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, you'd sure think there would be some string or expectation attached.

Edited to add: Apparently there is, but it's a soft one:
    If they're looking for people to "switch" you'd think they'd offer status matches or something similar, not just "reward" folks they already have. Maybe they have reason to believe those MP members they're targeting do lots of business on competing airlines, and are trying to capture that business?

Curious . . .

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    8MiHi likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have had two PNRs so far this year where one direction was on UA and the other on AS. One of them was sold to me by UA.com because it was cheaper than flying UA on the return. Not sure if they can see my AS status. In any case, AS upgraded me and my wife as mere MVPs on the return from Hawaii, so it was not only cheaper but also better :)

I didn't get bumped.

8MiHi and Counsellor like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just like every other targeted promotion, right?
    Ha!
    You think 80 views - many by repeat visitors to the thread - represents a significant metric to the company? I strongly disagree. Besides, people kvetching about a targeted promo is far different from actually changing booking patterns.

8MiHi likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some targeted promotions are more valuable than others.

Some targeted promotions are also less likely to negatively impact those not targeted.

Seems UA is doing this because they have seen changes in their booking pattern and they aren't happy with their numbers (as a result of previous actions that also saw people kvetching). I don't know that this will change things for the better.

I have responded negatively to targeted promotions that I wasn't selected for. Maybe it's not rational, but Hyatt giving 50k UA miles to some "random" Diamond members drove me away from them. All other things being equal, why should I give my money to someone who didn't appreciate my business as much as the next guy's?

Alaska not selecting me for rollover EQMs recently will not be forgotten once I reach my target status level.

In my particular case, if UA had selected me for this bump, it wouldn't have made a huge difference, and so I am not personally annoyed about this targeted promo. But I think initiatives like this, in this day and age, are bad marketing. And the way it was rolled out (many apparently didn't even find out until they checked their profile) is just amazing...

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is not.
    I think that your view is counter to pretty much everything marketing does. The whole goal of that industry/practice area is to spend in highly targeted, specific areas rather than the historical shotgun approach where everyone gets the same thing and you hope it works. Targeting means putting more of the spend on those most likely to use/benefit rather than everyone getting a little something. And generally it moves the needle more.

Could the email communications have been done better? Absolutely. But I don't think that suggesting an end to targeted promotions is going to be particularly fruitful nor satisfying. Or perhaps I can recommend some windmills in the Spanish countryside to explore.

15. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    A very good point...while as a 1K, this promotion doesn't benefit me at all, I would much rather see something like this than the across-the-board double PQM promo of yesteryear that really had the potential to bloat the ranks.

8MiHi likes this.
  16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Targeting in theory and targeting in practice are two things that may or may not align with each other. Arguing that targeting in theory is a good idea does not preclude a specific case from being a bad idea.

Call HaveMilesWillTravel's reaction irrational or not - either way it clearly happened. Doling out big chunks of miles is expensive as well. Did the program generate enough "goodwill" among the members surprised by the unexpected largesse to be a net positive given the costs in dollars and in apparent ill-will generated? Maybe - none of us are in a position to know.

At this point - I'm not really convinced that programs really have targeted promotions under control and well understood. There's still an element of shooting in the dark, and of throwing ideas into a self-reinforcing echo chamber.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But it's human. A rational rules-driven machine might do the targeting, but there is a human at the other end. And others reading about it on FT or Facebook or Twitter (or ... if I start a thread... even here ;) ). Especially in the hotel space I am not restricted by hubs; most locations have competition and as a consumer I still have choices. Hyatt or Hilton -- it often doesn't really matter to me, and if Hyatt pissed me off enough, I might just choose Hilton for no other reason. There isn't really any equivalent of fortress hubs here. Anyone can easily be a free agent.

For starters, let me state that I generally have a very low opinion of marketing and marketers.

That said, I have predicted before that these are probably just the first steps to removing more and more aspects of published-rule-based programs. Today some people get "promotions" and the rest lives by the rules. I suspect those rules will eventually more or less all go unpublished. Some people will see their extra EQMs roll over at the end of the year, others won't. People won't know why. Delta has already removed the award sheet, right? You pay whatever they feel it's worth. The same will be true for the earnings/status site. You get what some algorithm using big data feels you are worth. And it might include a lot of factors that are non-obvious. The only thing that so far has been the third rail of of "one size fits all" has been pricing (remember the outcry when some site allegedly tried to charge Mac users more? I think Amazon faced criticism about dynamic pricing as well). But even airfare pricing is geography-specific. How long is it going take for local pricing? Or someone with a Club card seeing a higher fare than some more price-sensitive customer with an Explorer card?

But do I like that? Hell no!

And good luck with retaining any kind of "loyalty." If I don't know anymore what I need to do to earn status or other benefits, I won't bother planning for how to get there. Lots of people with very little UA travel reported on FT to have been targeted with that promo. Lesson learned: don't be a loyal customer and you might get stuff for free.

Yeah, it definitely feels like I need that. Was actually looking at booking a trip to Spain just earlier today. But the islands...

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, because that's what marketing is about, shifting spend (back) to the company. If people are already flying on UA a lot then they generally do not need additional motivation to continue such.

The actual lesson is arguably more like: Don't worry so much about what others are getting; decide what is best for you based on your needs and act accordingly.

8MiHi, Pizzaman and Mackieman like this.
  19. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was not targeted, but I agree with WA on this.
    I believe that the fairly limited nature of this program is likely to provide the Marketing department with significant and very useful data.
    The reaction (over-reaction?) on FT seems overdone.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A message so nice ya posted it twice? :)

Did you get the message that some error occurred and that you should try again later?

8MiHi likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I can answer my own question... That's exactly what happened when I posted my reply just above this one.

I thought it was fixed....

8MiHi likes this.
  22. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I have... but not on UA!!

Very recently AA emailed with their 12.5k/3 month PlAAt challenge...differences from previous being, only 12/5k EQM needed over three months and plAAt stAAtus is good through 1/18 - I think this is really a good offer. I was headed for AA Gold anyway, but this is much better. I jumped on it and it's working absolutely, I'm loAAding into AA for travel when possible and I can force my way into MCE on existing reservations.

UA OTOH, well, I remain 1K and fly loads of PQM over threshold. No difference, no additional benefit to remain loyal beyond that. I understand the targeted marking concept and I'm benefiting from it as you see, but ironically not with my primary long-term carrier or alliance.

The generally-reduced MP RDM earnings make it MUCH easier to fly others, because even as 1K if CPU rates are low and we're going to sit in Y, then without useful UA RDMs to compensate there's really no difference between flying UA with status and others without. Such weak differentiation of benefits diminishes future purchasing incentives, as others have stated many times. 1MM is on the horizon and so more than anything else, that's keeping at least some of my upcoming travel on UA.

23. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to add, AA's offer delivers extra jouissance... because OWS status means, I can enter the DILBERTIAN LOUNGES on all BA itins! I will engage with the BA apologists in their own lairs at that moment while gobbling BA's food and beverages and hogging their wireless bandwidth to post denounciations....

24. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The interesting thing, at least to me, is that this shift seems to be a return to the very earliest days of frequent flyer programs when the criteria for being an "elite" were largely unpublished and based on some concept of value, often relative to other flyers in your home base.

It's possible that the highly explicit, threshold based, programs were always a second-best effort to deal with a problem where data and analysis didn't allow for the preferred solution with the huge boom in air travel.

Now with data and analysis becoming increasingly cheap, maybe airlines swing back to what they always considered the optimal solution.

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess I am not old enough to remember those days.