Snoring on planes: godawful

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by SST, May 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. SST
    Original Member

SST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I'm just cursed, but I have had 5 flights this week (Sfo-lax rt, sfo-JFK rt, and this morning's SFo-lax again) and on each one I have been surrounded by snorers. This is agony. This morning I have my seat mate in first class, the guy across the aisle, and the guy one seat back from him in three-part disharmony sawing away.

I am not swayed by deviated septums, apnea, congenital defects, or any of the plethora of good reasons each of these passengers has for their habit.... It is rude. This morning, it is almost laughable, except that I and the others surrounding them on this short (55 min) flight are all digging around for earplugs, headsets, etc., and exchanging disgusted glances.

Middle-aged and overweight men: (and we know who we are...): *IF YOU SNORE*, and you surely know if you do, unless you're a monk and never have a bed partner, DO YOUR FELLOW PASSENGERS A COURTESY and do not take a nap at least on short flights! You are the butt of jokes! We think less of you! When in groups, you give all of us a bad name!

This would be hilarious this morning, here in Living Stereo, except that it is about as classy as spitting on the floor, and it sure has made this morning's First Class upgrade a marginal win. Again, a little courtesy, please? Rant over.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

blackjack-21, anileze, gregm and 3 others like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:

Flyer1976, anileze and gregm like this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    You think one knows when they are snoring ? :D:rolleyes:

Eon's ago, in my youth; few doors from my work space, was a Sleep-Lab ! Pretty high tech for that time, and we took turns to nap between work or classes ! It recorded all noises, many non-snoring kind :D

Flyer1976, gregm and Newscience like this.
  5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    that can be the 2nd best use for air sickness bags

blow them up and explode them, then look innocent :eek:

problem solved

Newscience, Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ran a Sleep Disorders Center from 2000-2005. Let me just tell you all I met a whole bunch of 'varied' people. The times I was there at night, the noises, snoring et al, were, um........interesting.:rolleyes:

7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen this time and time again. Those here on MP know I love situations like this (and I love to post those gross pics of nasty feet on bulkheads, etc.) I have tons of pics of 'sleeping beauties' all sawing wood as if there was a deep freeze on the way. Anyway, I won't post the pics, but one trip, the 2 gentlemen diagonally behind me in 2C and 2D (I was in 1A) were snoring up a storm. Me, being the sarcastic nut I am, I turned around and said to the rest of the F cabin, "those seats are labeled 2C&D but they really are 2-zzzzzzz."

Garp74, Newscience, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't envy your position for all those years. And not just for the snorers, of whom I am a resounding one too, or so my wife has often informed me more then frequently. But your having to enter the SNORE CHAMBER frequently during the sleep sessions to check on the subjects must have also subjected you to the odorious emissions that those poor, unnoticing sleepers may have emitted from time to time. Were you therefore fully equipped with a gas mask or some other odoreradificational type of equipment before entering the chamber? Or were you just required to take those additional consequences as a qualifiction for the job? It's the "et al" which could be "um....interesting", since you chose to define it like that, and would require the additional protections you haven't as yet described, if available at the time.

I can see why you only lasted five years at the position, as if it were me, one whiff in a single night's session and I'm outta there, permenantly. :rolleyes:

But to all those who may fear my intense snoreability if sitting near my wife and me on an aircraft, FEAR NOT !!!, as the moment that my eyes close and my head tilts to one side with my mouth wide open catching flies, my wife, immediately seeing my snoreification position occurring, will invariably forcibly jab her pointed elbow into my ribcage, causing me to sputteringly awaken from the unannounced interruption to my slumber, and thereby preserving the peaceful surroundings of our seatmates, who may be seated as far as nine rows away.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  9. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Erm, I fly a lot, I'm middle-aged and overweight, and I use transcon and intercon segments to do two things: work and nap. I always tell my seatmate to please not hesitate to wake me up if Im snoring and it's bothering them.

You want me to not sleep at all? I'm confused.