sniff - losing status

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Lalala, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just called the EXP line for the last time until I requalify sometime in September. I had a nice conversation with the EXP agent who told me that they were looking forward to my return. I felt that she was genuine in her remarks, I was touched.

I sure am going to miss those 100 hour upgrade notifications and the dried out scallops in the ORD FL lounge.

I will be back. [​IMG]

lisamcgu likes this.
  2. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    good luck. it would be a sad day to think the status would be gone. hope you get back in soon.

lisamcgu likes this.
  3. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck getting back to EXP. I'll be dropping from PLT to GLD. And I'm just not flying AA enough right now to justify the buyback opportunity.

lisamcgu and Mundivaganti like this.
  4. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least AA offers the soft landing policy. making the loss of status just a little more bearable. Other airlines are not as forgiving. For them, March 1 is a cold hard truth.

I for one am happy to see see the ranks of DEQM EXPs thinned out. Next year things will finally return to normal.

lisamcgu, geclub1 and gemac like this.
  5. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Mundivaganti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dropped likewise. I really missed not having any elite mileage promotions this year to push my total up to PLT. I know many elite members are happy to see me go, as thinning the ranks makes them all the more elite, but I hope they won't gloat too much. Not in front of me, anyway. :(

lisamcgu likes this.
  6. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was a DEQM EXP, but the 8 years before I qualified the hard way. To be honest, i probably wouldn't have flown on AA at all in 2009 if the DEQM promo hadn't happened. I had hit LT Plt in 2008 and wanted a break. I bought ca. 4k of tickets I wasn't planning on spending and had some awesome trips that I will remember forever. As a PLT, all my domestic upgrades cleared and the same goes for 2010 as an EXP, so I haven't really seen a lot more competition for seats or upgrades on the routes I fly.

lisamcgu and Kaanapali like this.
  7. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every year I think I wont qualify and at the end, it usually works out. Come back soon.

lisamcgu likes this.
  8. At least you are still a PLT, I'm down from Gold to nothing.

Tiki, lisamcgu, gemac and 1 other person like this.
  9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't bought back status recently, you could buy back Gold.

lisamcgu likes this.
  10. geclub1
    Original Member

geclub1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did we have a confirmation that AA still offers soft landing this year?

lisamcgu likes this.
  11. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    There were a few reports in this thread.

lisamcgu likes this.
  12. geclub1
    Original Member

geclub1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

lisamcgu likes this.
  13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll be back. :)
    You'll likely have a deeper appreciation of things possibly taken for granted, you'll have a few moments on the phone with a "GASP!" everyday agent and think to yourself, "ugh, if I was on the phone w/ that EXP rep. right now," you'll transfer thru ORD and forget that you CAN'T get those scallops at the FL for dinner and have to shelp it over to the food court, you'll log on to aa.com by habit a week before your flight to see if your upgrade clears,.....then by the time you'll be crying out for EXP again, it will be September, and you'll "fall" right back in.

lisamcgu likes this.
  14. infomofo
    Original Member

infomofo Active Member

Status Points:
    I also lost my gold status this year. I was probably only a flight or two short, but ultimately I had gold status with AA for two years and really didn't see much benefit to it; on the routes I fly it is impossible to get an upgrade if you're not Platinum. On top of that, I like to use Wi-Fi when I fly, and I found the coverage of Wi-Fi on Delta to be much better than AA.

I just applied today for a Delta SkyMiles Status Match, based on my expiring AA Gold status. I have a friend who is Delta silver and has decent success getting upgrades. I figured it was worth a shot.

lisamcgu likes this.
  15. Hurry back soon. Another FL Happy Hour has been long since overdue!

lisamcgu and Lalala like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have just started pricing AA again in the fond hope that I can regain EXP.

lisamcgu likes this.
  17. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We both dropped from Gold to nothing too. I guess we can't complain too much as all our travel is on awards from credit cards and promos. We haven't paid for BIS other than short hops in Europe on Easyjet in 2 years.

18. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somewhat ridiculously, I'm already feeling a deep, soul-tearing sadness knowing that I won't re-qual for NEXT year! Big change in business travel means no more 4-5 trips ORD-NRT and multiple ORD-Europe's in 2011. Looks like I'm going to have to be happy with ORD-ABQ/TYS/DCA. Oh boy. This whole status thing has become somewhat addictive. Gotta join ex-EXPs Anonymous.