Sneak Preview of MileagePlus X – A Powerful New Way to Earn Award Miles

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Nov 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

We wanted you to be among the first to know about MileagePlus X – a new mobile app for iOS and Android devices, where you can earn up to 2, 3 or even 4 award miles per dollar when shopping at participating merchants.

Today, we’re releasing a special preview of the app to select MileagePlus members. If you’re in this group, here’s what you need to know to get started:

Set it up
    You can download MileagePlus X now on the App Store for iOS devices, and on Google Play for Android. Then, log in using your MileagePlus account information (note: this step will only work for those in the “sneak preview” group). The app will automatically sync with the payment cards stored in your MileagePlus account.

Use the app
    You can use MileagePlus X to search for the nearest local and national stores with mileage earning opportunities, based on your location. At check-out, simply enter the total price of your items into the app, to purchase an electronic gift card that can be scanned in the moment by the cashier.

Earn more miles
    You’ll earn miles based on the total dollar amount of your purchase, times a multiplier that will vary by merchant. But the earning doesn’t stop there. United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase cardmembers can earn a 25% bonus on the miles awarded by MileagePlus for purchases made through MileagePlus X—in addition to the miles already earned from using your card.

Please see the United Hub for more information on MileagePlus X, as well as the full, official terms and conditions at this link. Later today, we’ll send an invitation email to members in the preview group, and will look to expand in the coming weeks.

-UA Insider

2. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems pretty cool!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    ForumRunner_20141124_091135.png

Looks almost like I was the second Android user to grab it :)

Does the fact that I was able to sign in mean I am one of the few, the proud, the guinea pigs? :)

Edit: I guess '(note: this step will only work for those in the “sneak preview” group)' answers that question.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    From the T&C:

Gift Card Purchases Using Miles
    1. In its sole discretion, United may offer the ability to purchase Gift Cards through MileagePlus X using MileagePlus miles or a combination of miles and money.
    I guess that's the new way to use miles that was hinted at a while ago. Also fits with the EWR-buy-food-with-miles thing.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Something to think about:

Since you can log into the app with your MP account number and your super secure 4-digit pin, this basically makes the credit card(s) stored in your United profile accessible for merchandise purchases to anyone who gets ahold of these credentials. Do MP/United agents still ask you for the PIN?

iolaire and adrianors like this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMG_0195.PNG

Shut down like a K-Mart..... :(

Ill wait patiently.

traveltoomuch and 8MiHi like this.
  7. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine shows only 1 download before too, but my log-in doesn't work so I guess I'm not beta for this initiative.

8. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in select group. Trial use is up(?) you can look at potential vendors and the offers. but no locations are available. Future Features?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  9. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    denied

10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)I apparently am in the test group.

11. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    :( Me too.

Seems like an interesting concept, but there are a few issues I'd like to see play out before I fully commit.

theBOAT

12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll try anything once, twice if it feels good - as far as committed, still got my +1 at 41Yrs

8MiHi and theBOAT like this.
  13. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very strange... I just finished typing this post, and was unable to log in. Then, my phone buzzes, and I have an email waiting for me from UA letting me know I've been selected to test the app! Unfortunately, I still can't log in (getting the red screen of death error message shown above by vickers)! We'll see if it shakes itself out in the next hour or so...

Some interesting points not originally detailed by UA Insider above, from the email, are:

- There is an additional 25% bonus miles on points earned through the app because I'm a Chase credit card holder (nice!)
    - Participating locations earn either 2, 3, or 4 miles per dollar (in addition to your credit card's earning). Oddly, the asterisk on this line states "*Miles per dollar varies by retailer and is less than 2 miles per dollar for certain retailers. Browse merchants within MileagePlus X to view applicable earning rates." So why bother claiming that all transactions earn one of those three tiers of miles per dollar, and just say "up to 4 miles/dollar" or something?
    - There will be no fractional miles earned via purchases; all miles earned will be rounded down to the nearest whole number. Way to go cheap on the details, UA & Chase!

And interesting items from the Q&A page, so folks don't have to look:

Q: What will my credit card statement show for MileagePlus X purchases?
    A: Your statement will state ‘MPX*(Merchant Name) and the applicable transaction amount.
    My Comment: Perhaps we will also be passing up the category bonus because of the way this is charged? I.e. restaurants will not earn 2x on my Chase MP Select card.

Q: Is there a quadruple dip?
    A: There sure is! Find a merchant that is in both MileagePlus X and MileagePlus Shopping, use your MileagePlus credit card within MileagePlus X, and then pay for your purchase online with the gift card number and PIN from MileagePlus X after clicking through to the merchant at MileagePlusShopping.com.
    My comment: Don't most merchants disallow mileage earning on MPS.com when paying with a gift card?

The other big downside to this new system is clearly laid out on the UA Hub site - you are explicitly giving up your credit card's purchase protection / extended warranty benefits by participating via this app, because you're buying a gift card from the merchant and not that specific item. I don't use this very much (once or twice), but when I have it has saved me real cash. That's going to be something extra to consider as a trade-off for extra UA miles...

theBOAT

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  14. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting new program. Is this why the planes don't launch on-time and the on-board wifi doesn't work with any reliability? Because the efforts are focused on non core competence projects?

Sorry to be a troll but at its core UA is an airline before a mileage program and it's not doing a fantastic job at the whole airline thing.

rggale, NYCUA1K, Olton Hall and 2 others like this.
  15. Windwalker
    Original Member

Windwalker Gold Member

Status Points:
    no love para mi

8MiHi likes this.
  16. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am in! Awesome.. lets see how thats going to work..

17. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried, but it wouldn't let me...

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I dunno... in my region there is a restaurant (that I had never heard of) showing up with 25 miles/dollar.

@UA Insider answered those on Flyertalk:

theBOAT likes this.
  19. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    No love here, either! Hoping to be included when the beta is expanded!

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ForumRunner_20141124_152442.png

Not good, United. I have barely used it and it is consuming all my battery...

(thanks to NoLaGent on Flyertalk for the tip)

theBOAT likes this.
  21. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in....going to tool around with it for a while and assess

IDGflygirl likes this.
  22. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting app, I can login. :)

haven't tried it out yet

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the invite to pilot the app, it loaded and works just fine but...big yawn. It is a lot more fun to earn revenue-based miles by joining United Dining, but the trend at UA as a business seems clear enough...which is why this resonated with me:
    My thoughts almost exactly. UA, an airline, seems to be moving further and further away from providing a stellar flying experience, and getting more into trading miles for hard currency without anyone actually covering any mileage.

24. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me this is really interesting: there are opportunities to earn miles at places I would typically go. There's a local Indian restaurant, a neighborhood bar within two blocks. I was expecting the usual Barnes and Noble, Apple, FTD, places that I might go to once a year, and when I did, I wouldn't spend the time to get the 10 miles and jumping through 5 flaming hoops, I'd get for favoring them. However, 180 miles for $30 at a trendy Indian restaurant with a line to get in, when I'm already using apple pay and go there twice a month? Why not?

25. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not allowed to play. :(