Sneak peak at my blog...need honest feedback!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gwhit21, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for visiting my post. I'm launching a new blog and I'm pumped about it. It's called Noob Traveler, and its purpose is to provide a beginner's guide to traveling on the cheap. I was a newbie not too long ago, so I understand the value in educating yourself on the subject. This is a passion of mine and I really hope to give the newbie the resources he needs to go where he wants to go. Please take a moment and review my blog. I'm fully dedicated to this and I'm hoping for some honest feedback. Browse through the pages and hit me back!
    http://www.noobtraveler.com/

stan, Pointslover and phraktur like this.
  2. phraktur

phraktur Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a newbie myself (not to traveling, but to these forums, using points, etc.) I can honestly appreciate your site. It's nice to see a brand new blog that I don't have to go back through a few years worth of material to find out the basics.

I took a look at you page, and my initial impression was that I liked it. For me, the biggest thing is to have the "category" links on the side of the page which was there. Overall, I liked the format, font, picture to word sizing, etc. You'll definitely have a reader in me. If I notice anything that I think could be done differently or anything a newbie like myself may want to see, I'll let you know.

Thanks for providing us this opportunity to help you help us.

3. Pointslover

Pointslover Active Member

Status Points:
    Love the design. Looks like a good start here.

Keep up the good work :)

4. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Btw, I realize I misspelled the word "peak". Newbie mistake.

5. phraktur

phraktur Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just thought of something....a reference section.

In your "Don't Be Lazy, Pick Up The Phone, Pt.1", you do a great job of providing a lot of contact numbers for various companies. But, IMHO, the best thing would be a separate reference page/section that has contact information for companies, explanation of abbreviations/airline codes, etc. Don't know if this is possible on a blog, but it would be a tremendous help to be able to have a quick link for this info rather than scroll back through multiple blog posts trying to find a specific number.

Just my two cents.

6. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, phraktur! Great feedback-- love the point on the reference page. I went ahead and added a sidebar for reconsideration numbers. Will polish it up later.

7. I like the name. I can relate to what phraktur said. It is good to have a web location that shows me the ropes. Solid info on the hacker post.

8. tin509

tin509 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really like it. Good layout, clear relevant info and entertaining to boot. Thanks. I look forward to tuning in...

9. WideOpenSpaces

WideOpenSpaces Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the format of the site, but do you need a Medical Disclaimer?

10. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.......I'm just covering all my bases;)

11. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey nice work! Looks cool, best of luck.

12. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice! I'm jealous: the format is much nicer than my blog (http://thefrequentmiler.com). Good luck! I'll start following you on twitter

13. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the kind words......I'll start following you as well.

14. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice style.

15. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    An excellent little blog! Upbeat, positive - I enjoy your writing style! You'll be on the reading list now!

16. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice blog. I look forward to reading more.

17. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I LIKE THE LOOK -- I EVEN BOOK MARKED IT

18. Pretty slick. I would say that you could add some info on the airport codes. Those can hang up a newbie - or should I say a noob??

19. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, great point. I'm in the process of working on an airport code tab as well as an abbreviation tab. I still don't know what anyone is talking about half the time on these forums, very overwhelming.....And yes, you should say noob:)

20. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like you're off to a great start and I like the design. Good luck!

21. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Left a comment on one of your articles. Love the layout and the format. Congratulations on your new blog! :)

miles and smiles likes this.
  22. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    TravelMusing - Congrats to be on the first to comment! Honored to have you kick us off on the comments! Keep Smiling and BTW Love your Avatar!

TravelMusing likes this.
  23. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking for honest feedback, I think the name is poor marketing. I assume you are doing this blog in order to give people advice and eventually make a little money? Why would people want advice from a noob? How do you market yourself when you are not a noob?

24. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your honest feedback. Yeah, i debated a lot about the site name, but felt like noob was the best option. I'm a playful guy and I wanted to stay true to that. I'm also hoping to provide a service to newbies where they can get the basics and connect to the topic. It can be overwhelming out there.

25. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will only attract newbies that are newbies now, once you and your readers get a bit savvy your skill set will improve on the subject matter and you will start to speak in code. This will be fine to your readers who follow you, but the newbies that come after 1 year will not find any newbie content and the old content will be irrelevant. Catch 22.
    Best of luck.