Snake in rental car a shocker

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Aug 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/cars/Snake+rental+shocker/7103870/story.html

A Spruce Grove family were piling into a rented SUV this week when their seven-year-old daughter announced there was a snake in the back seat.

"She wasn't really too excited, but there was something in her voice that made me think, 'Uh oh, sounds as if it's serious,' " said Jim Esselmont, recalling the Tuesday encounter.

The family bailed out and, sure enough, he saw something slither under the seat.
    Budget Car Rental's Spruce Grove office put Esselmont in touch with the previous renter, a man who deals with reptiles, but said the snake wasn't his, Esselmont said Thursday.

Together, they searched the vehicle for the stealthy reptile for more than an hour with no success, before Esselmont suggested running the vehicle with the heat on. "We put it on high, left it for about an hour and a half, then popped open the back door and there it was."

Read More: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/cars/Snake+rental+shocker/7103870/story.html

aptraveler and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They got more than they bargained for.;)

aptraveler likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bit of a wakeup call on this one. I tend to look at the outside of the rental car for damage before I take it off the lot, however I pay little attention to contents inside of the vehicle.
    Apparently some rental facilities pay little attention also. What if the previous renter left drugs, explosives or who knows what in the vehicle and the next renter drives around with contraband in the car?
    Add interior inspection to your car rental routine!

2soonold, aptraveler and uggboy like this.
  4. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It happens...an old supervisor of mine bought a car at carmax and found a decent sized bag of methamphetamine in it.

kw335 likes this.
  5. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I frankly don't believe the prior renters story of it not being his doing, he afterall was the snake and reptile handler, and there aren't too many of them around!

2soonold likes this.
  6. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take meth over snakes, anytime! :D

paladin87 likes this.