Smisek out as United CEO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYBanker, Sep 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Replaced by Oscar Munoz.

Exec VP in charge of govt affairs also left...related to inquiry with PANYNJ.

SnowDogDad, NYCUA1K, Sammich and 4 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Munoz was Pres/COO at CSX until now.

Has been on board of CO since 2004.

satman40, Sammich, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And on his way out the door he "stumbled" over the power cord for united.com :)

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny. :)

5. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can hear the champagne corks a'poppin here and on TOBB all the way over here... ;)

9. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a note from Oscar:

Dear fellow employees:

Today we are announcing a series of executive changes, which are effective immediately. I recognize that this news is unexpected, and I want you to hear it directly from me, as United’s new CEO.

Jeff Smisek, Nene Foxhall, EVP of communications and government affairs, and Mark Anderson, SVP of corporate and government affairs, have stepped down from their roles. These departures are in connection with United’s previously disclosed internal investigation related to the federal investigation associated with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

In addition, the company announced Henry L. Meyer III, a current United director and the lead independent director, has been named non-executive chairman of the board.

As we move forward, let me take a moment to tell you a little bit about myself. As you may know, I have been on the board of directors of United, and previously Continental, for more than a decade. I am also a longtime United customer. Before today, I was the president and COO of CSX, one of the largest railroads in North America. Prior to that, I worked for several well known consumer brands including AT&T, Pepsico, and The Coca-Cola Company.

I took this job because I am excited by what we can do together. There is incredible opportunity for innovation, for earnings growth, and for improving an experience that is essential to the vitality of global business and to the personal lives of millions of people. I will be relentless in pursuing these goals, and I hope and expect that all of you will share that same passion.

In the coming weeks, I will be making my first visits around the system. I want to talk to as many of you as possible because I want to get to know you and what you think about how things are going. How can we operate better? How can we better serve our customers? What support do you need to deliver that? You’ll be seeing me frequently; I intend to regularly travel the system to hear about our operations directly from you – and you can hold me accountable for that.

In my career, I’ve found that three things are critical to any successful business. First, we must focus on customers and what we can to do help them. In the telecommunications, consumer products and railway businesses, there are very real consequences if you don’t meet the consumer’s needs and desires. There are also substantive rewards for doing so, and especially for exceeding customer expectations. Every day, you win or lose customers based on the slightest change in value and quality. As you know, in the airline business, this is especially critical. Getting people where they want to go, reliably and happily, can make or break their ability to succeed in a work endeavor or to hug a family member at an important moment.

At United, I will dedicate myself to making our airline flyer-friendly.

Second, in any organization, especially a great airline, it’s all about teamwork. I like to refer to this as “shared purpose.” We are in a service business, and the thousands of people who work here are the key ingredient determining our success. To get our passengers where they want to go safely and happily requires thousands of us working together with a shared purpose of supporting each other in serving our customers. To achieve this, we must create and sustain a respectful dialog about our common goals – an ongoing conversation among ourselves. We cannot do this apart.

Third, I am excited to be a part of a company and industry that demands innovation. The world around us is changing. There are new forms of loyalty programs and affinity groups, a constantly changing regulatory environment, plus new digital and networking technologies that are emerging on a daily basis. At United, we will embrace this change, and make this an energized and exciting place to work. Above all, my career has taught me that safety is paramount. Our passion for the safety of our people and our customers must be at the core of everything we do. As we bring this airline forward, I promise to hold true to these principles of customer focus, teamwork through our shared purpose, continual innovation, and of course, safety. I want our customers, my fellow workers, and our communities to respect each other and take pride in our accomplishments.

Thank you for your dedication to our customers and to United, and I look forward to meeting you soon.​

HiIslands, satman40, Sammich and 4 others like this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A likely view of a gathering of those "over-entitled United elites", from later tonight... :D

12. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA will probably fast-track the new safety video & new CEO clip into their planes ASAP.

satman40, Sammich, snod08 and 2 others like this.
  13. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, ding, dong.

14. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    He sounds like a politician, now let's see if he does anything or if it is nothing more than the same hot air we get from DC. (And various state capitals):rolleyes:

violist and satman40 like this.
  16. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a change I think I'm going to like! How quickly can they get his face off of the videos?

violist, Sammich, MX and 1 other person like this.
  17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    With how ready Oscar was with a substantive letter and permanent CEO, it sounds like this has been planned for a bit and the PANYNJ rationale is cover for doing something they had already planned.

18. RobotDoctor
    Original Member

RobotDoctor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll believe in positive change when I see it. I would endorse the removal of most, it not all, the senior VP staff. Their lack of innovation and leadership, along with Smisek's has taken it's toll on the employees and the loyal customer base. When the attitude is "it's too expensive to be #1" is the belief from Smisek and his SVP staff there is something wrong. I hope Munoz believes that the only place UAL should be is #1 in terms of performance, customer service, customer loyalty. Anything less than that goal is worthless to pursue.

19. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Latest:

http://news.yahoo.com/united-says-ceo-jeff-smisek-effective-immediately-211123955--finance.html

Looks like a very golden parachute:
    Did you note the part about keeping his company car? Who was the guy who referred to paying customers as "over-entitled"?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  20. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this is what then occurred:

www.untied.com

21. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So this may explain the advanced departure of the questionable CFO Rainey, but it is a somewhat golden parachute for SMI/J, and it does not near the excess levels Jill Barad received when she left Mattel. Jeff got $mi$eked. Now that's a change we are going to like.:D

22. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the inquiry with PANYNJ? Sorry, been living under a rock these past few weeks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    violist, anileze and satman40 like this.
  23. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. DrinkingCoffee

DrinkingCoffee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a hard time imagining that things could get worse with new leadership. (I also understand that if anyone can prove me wrong on this, United can. :()

desamo, violist and satman40 like this.
  25. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    With things moving fast at UA today, me thinks criminal charges are quickly coming.