SMI/J lecture at the Northwestern University Transportation Center

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, May 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose I'll be pilloried by the "Smisek is worse than Hitler" crowd, but I actually like the guy, from what I've seen of him- he has a pretty self-effacing sense of humor and seems pretty smart about his industry.

That doesn't mean he won't screw up UA six ways from Sunday (I've seen CEOs who were fun and engaging in public appearances I was at, and subsequent events proved were manifestly unsuited for their job), but at least there's that. I can see why Gordon Bethune would have liked him enough to bring him on board in 1995.

3. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think he is genuinely interested in seeing the new UA succeed. He was part of the CO turn around, and it is clear that he is proud of that, and I think he clearly wants to be proud of the new United.

Ultimately, whatever decisions he makes are with UAs best interest in mind, while doing the best they can for the costumers.

Interesting video.

EDIT: as a response to a question, he mentioned that they are working on a system that will alert a traveler when a bag is misdirected or delayed, and ways to get your bag back. Very cool.