SMF / Sacramento to LAX inaugural April 5, 2011

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JDiver, Feb 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, at last! Enough UA Shuttle or WN Southwest choices, now we've an American Eagle ERD connecting SMF and LAX three times daily, as of April 5, 2011 (and I am enough of an addict to have booked the inaugural flight, $64 each way).

It's all cyclical - I was on the last SNA-SMF flight, a 757 continuing from (natch!) DFW, some years ago. Now, for the 777 SMF-DFW-LHR... [​IMG]

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now just to wait and see if we have some decent east coast fares from SMF. I used to be a regular flyer out of there on UA in the 90s, but just have not found AA fares competitive to what I get out of SFO. Only AA-related flight I did the last year from Sacramento was award travel with AA miles on Alaska to Seattle.

Tom just in the door from Dublin, Ireland

JDiver likes this.
  3. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you prefer smf-lax-lhr over going thru dfw? I guess you have the FL lounge at lax.

4. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Longer flight = more sleep. I'd take LAX-LHR over DFW-LHR given the choice.

5. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too, hence why I do this leg now twice a month. Will have to start cutting it up thru JFK soon, as I will run out of upgrades and I dont want to pay the copay w miles.

6. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I generally fly out of SFO - often, it's the lower rates, plus I can get a Park n Fly at the Doubletree that works well. But with AA LAX-LHR, QF and CX to Australasia out of LAX and now Iberia's new LAX-MAD, I am hoping the SMF-LAX add-on will make it easier. For domestic, SMF-DFW often works well, though LAX may give me some new, welcome options.

weinskkb likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually don't book LAX-LHR as I can rarely find upgrade availability up front, and I actually prefer a stop on the east coast. When I flew over two weeks ago I went SFO-JFK-LHR which is my preferred routing. I'd likely be using that SMF-LAX to connect to domestic or Asia rather than Europe.

Currently the last departure SMF-DFW is at 2:40pm. The last SMF-LAX will go out at 5:35pm. Guess we'll never see that midnight SMF-DFW back. I flew on that quite a bit when I first moved to AA. Would be nice to have something late night from there.

weinskkb likes this.
  8. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tom,

Good to see you here. I've been contemplating doing fat-lax-jfk-lhr as well many times. As I posted earlier, I will have to do that and sit in Y a few times this year. Upgrades will come to an end real soon. You ever do Y on JFK-LHR? Does it feel really long? Time wise, it's almost the same as a transcon.

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done Y JFK-LHR a couple times, preferring to go out on the 2330 departure so I can sleep the whole way. Works out fine for me. You'll usually find me back there on award travel as I'm still 100% on systemwide upgrades on paid tickets (10th year now).

10. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    JFK-LHR (or the reverse) is really just a mid-length flight, like a transcon; an exit row seat makes it much more bearable, and quite survivable. I personally avoid any "chemical assistance" - and the occasional tale of an unplanned stop (mechanical, security, badly behaved passenger, etc.) with stories of anterograde amnesia mean I really have no interest...

11. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tom and JDiver, I'm out on the lax-lhr this week, but in a few weeks, Ill try to route thru JFK save a few of my upgrades, as I only have 8 this year.

12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually time myself to arrive at the Flagship Lounge at JFK about 3 hours ahead for dinner so I don't have to deal with food in the coach cabin. That would generally require a noon departure from the west coast.

weinskkb and JDiver like this.
  13. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great idea. Ill try to plan my next trip that way, if possible.

14. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are they offering any double miles or elite miles bonuses to inaugurate this route?

15. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    JDiver likes this.
  16. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points: