SMF information

Discussion in 'SFO/OAK/SMF/SJC | San Francisco Area Airports' started by weinskkb, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly AA and usually fly out of SFO unless on an award ticket. I started SFO when SMF when AA got rid of the redeye flights. But I do have some info on SMF and encourage others to add info or correct info if I'm wrong or things have changed.

There are two terminals at SMF. Terminal A consists of Delta/Northwest, Hawaiian, Southwest, and US Airways. Terminal B consists of Alaska, American, Continental, Frontier, Horizon Air, JetBlue, and United. Terminal A has a food court inside security. Terminal B does not have a food court. There are a few places for food inside security in terminal B. I believe ther is a Brewery inside terminal B. AA has ticket agents at the east end of terminal B next to United. United gates are located up the escalater where they have always been (and where AA used to be). To get to the AA gates one must walk approx 100 yards past the Chile's (inside the terminal but outside of security) turn right and go up the escalater to security. I believe there is a starbucks inside and outside of security. There is free WiFi inside both terminals.

Economy parking is $9.00 a day. Daily parking (a little closer to the terminals) is $13.00 a day. There are parking structures which charge $2.00 per 1/2 hr and may go up to $29.00 a day max.There are free shuttles which pick up in the economy and daily lots approx every 15 minutes. There is a free cell phone parking lot near the entrance from I-5 The daily parking is a little closer than the economy. The parking structures are very close to the terminals. One for A and one for B.

There is a free shuttle which stops for people renting cars which is located near the economy lot.There is an AM/PM gas mini market on the road into the airport from I-5. Hope this helps and look forward to others contributing their knowledge.

hulagrrl210 and tom911 like this.
  2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    SMF will open the new B terminal Thursday October 6th 2011. Some of the airlines are switching terminals. I have not been to the new terminal and am just updating the thread from articles in the Sacramento Bee. I hope others will provide other updates from whatever sources and personal experiences at the airport.

The new Terminal B cost 1 billion. 8 million was set aside for art. Terminal A will have Continental, Delta, United, and US Airways. Terminal B will have Aeromexico, Alaska/Horizon, American, Frontier, Hawaiian, Jet Blue, and Southwest. Southwest used to be part of Terminal A.

There will be 14 Food Outlets and 10 Retail Stores. There will be people the first few weeks dressed in red to assist people. There will be an Information Booth next to baggage on the bottom floor. The 2nd floor will have the ticket counters, Kiosks,and Baggage Check. The 3rd floor has a people mover, restaurants, and retail stores. There will be free Wi-Fi in both Terminals. www.smf.aero is listed for the latest arrival & departure updates.

I hope others will update information on SMF.

tom911 likes this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made a run up here today to turn in a $500 AA bump voucher. Parked in front of Termnal B in hourly parking ($2 for 30 minutes), hit the AA counter upstairs (was third in line) and was pulling out of the parking lot 15 minutes later.

weinskkb likes this.
  5. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you go to SMF to use a voucher, do it before 2 pm because the ticket counters will be empty after 2pm. It can get done after 2pm, but it can be hit or miss with the current schedules. Parking is very convenient for short periods of time.

tom911 likes this.
  6. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw that SMF long term economy parking will go from $9 to $10 starting Sat 3-31-12. It was in the newspaper and said allow 45 minutes for the bus to take you to the terminals. I have never waited that long. It usually takes 15 to 20 minutes IME.

tom911 likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back at Sacramento late this morning to ticket with a bump voucher. 12 minutes from the time I parked until the time I was back at my car ready to drive off. Hope it stays this easy when they replace the AA agents there. $2 for up to 30 mins parking.

weinskkb likes this.
  8. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an article in todays Sacramento Bee which says SMF has permisssion to use private security for screening passengers. The article says they will still follow TSA rules and will be trained by TSA. It will take awhile to train new screeners. If I was better with a computer I would post the link.

9. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sobore posted The County Board of Supervisors rescinded privatizing security at the SMF and TSA will stay in place.

10. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    They moved some airlines around at SMF. American Airlines is flying from the A Terminal. This change was made in February. JDIVER posted it somewhere. I would google it if I were going to SMF.