SMD7 ATH AfterDO

Discussion in 'SMD7 (Star MegaDO #7)' started by flospi, Aug 23, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of us will stay a bit longer after the official part of the MegaDo has concluded. So let's start collecting some ideas and maybe organise groups according to interests. I myself will have the whole of Saturday and will need to leave in the late morning of Sunday for my 13:45 flight back to ZRH.
    It's my first time in Athens so I am interested in everything. Definitely want to see the Acropolis and maybe do some interesting not so touristy stuff the rest of Saturday.

uggboy likes this.
  2. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be staying until late on Saturday, so only 1 night (Friday night) in Athens (Hilton).

It is best to organize groups and avoid all public transportation as there are groups of organized pickpockets and other crimes.

Then for Taxi's you need to watch for overcharging.

After the event of Friday, we can organize groups to taxi to town.
    I am looking for a person to share cab with on Saturday, say departing at noon, to the airport.

Thanks flospi for starting this thread.

uggboy likes this.
  3. cuauroao

cuauroao Silver Member

Status Points:
    On Saturday I will be taking an early morning flight (8.45 am) I could share a cab from Hilton

4. hokiethang

hokiethang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan to be in Athens all weekend, taking the later flight (5:50 pm) home to Zurich on Sunday. I'm staying near Syntagma Square at the King George Hotel.

flospi likes this.
  5. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those of you staying near Syntagma Square, I got an offer from my hotel (Athens Cypria Hotel) for ordering a transfer for €43 with an english-speaking driver who is supposed to share "local insights" and whose car would fit 4 people. If 3 others are interested, I'd book this. Even though I personally don't mind using public transport at all... If we were 8, the offer would be a larger car for double the price and the same for 12 people...

6. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    tRethinking whether it is worth moving hotels from the airport to the downtown Hilton for just Friday night. (I am departing ATH Saturday afternoon).

The thought is just come into town for dinner on Friday evening - without bags or valuables - which then makes the train doable.

Anyone staying at the Airport Sofitel on Friday evening and interested in getting a group to take the train into town and meet up with others?

The Hilton is a nice hotel but it is off by itself (so you would need to cab it to the tourist areas).

If you look at the Google street scape for Syntagma Square, it is where the Parliament building is located along with a packed street scene of demonstrators. Maybe no major demonstration going on right now but it is interesting that Google maps shows a major mob demonstration at night for the street scape.

As mentioned above - the Athens Cypria Hotel is a nice option - near the Square but a few blocks off it - so maybe not as congested, but it is fully booked for Friday night.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Are you talking about a transfer from the airport to the hotels? I changed to the Intercontinental which is close to Syntagma Square and would be interested.

8. AdamSmith

AdamSmith New Member

Status Points:
    The girlfriend and I are staying until Sunday morning, planning to do a whirlwind tour of Athens on Saturday. Staying at the Hilton in the centre of Athens, happy to share transportation with anyone else staying there and possibly do dinner/drinks somewhere in that vicinity Friday night.

cuauroao likes this.
  9. hokiethang

hokiethang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested in joining your hotel car, since it's probably cheaper than getting one from the King George, and it's walking distance from your hotel to my hotel.

10. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what I am talking about... So I'd say I book the transfer from the Airport to my hotel for 17:30? We split the bill by three unless someone else joins us?

11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

sounds perfect

12. flospi
    Original Member

flospi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, the transfer is booked for 4 people!

13. BuddyFunJet

BuddyFunJet Member

Status Points:

EDIT: Changed reservations to leave Athens Friday for Bucharest.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  14. hokiethang

hokiethang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Works for me.

flospi likes this.
  15. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Game on. BOGO Beer
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk