SMD4 -- Official Master Thread

Discussion in 'SMD4 (Star MegaDO #4)' started by tommy777, Jun 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The moment you have all been waiting for is here:

The launch of SMD4!

For the fourth year in a row, the ULTIMATE travel junkie field trip is here!

Where else can you time after time take part in once in a lifetime experiences not open to the public, charter your own plane, hobnob with the big shots, get generous gifts from the companies you love.
    And- of course - earn miles and points..

The team:

Ed Pizzarello-- (Pizzaman) Texas oil billionaire, poker genius, awesome father of two, horrible driver will be taking care of websites, registration, payments and logistics

Melinda Ferrell (Firefly) Awesome fiancee, love of my life and super slow driver will be taking care of executing logistics, queen of all lists and in charge of make sure we are all in the right place with the right credentials.

Nathan Rau-- (MSY-MSP) Bill Gates' former lawyer, fellow Norwegian, improving golfer will be taking care of our legals stuff and help with logistics

Gary Leff-- (Gleff) Super blogger, redemption king, TV star, will head up our team of bloggers

Tommy Danielsen (tommy777) Mover,shaker, and SMD founder. Pug lover, horrible golfer, Hendricks drinker and Norwegian Thunder.

The sponsors and partners this year:

United Airlines
    Lufthansa
    Swiss International Air Lines
    Hyatt
    milepoint.com

Rimowa
    Kula - The caring of giving
    Pointshound.com
    thepointsguy.com
    Million Mile Secrets
    Awardwallet.com
    There will be two portions of Starmegado4, you don't have to do both.

To get access to the entire program, you need to be on the charter.

The Star Alliance is celebrating 15 years this year, which of course we need to celebrate. Also, we are celebrating the 5th Mega DO!

The theme this year will be: Giddy up -- Western style

Here's the official program:

Tuesday November 13th

7:30 PM Welcome reception at a Hyatt TBD in San Francisco sponsored and hosted by Hyatt

Program by 3 Star partners after reception

Wednesday November 14th
    7AM-8AM Breakfast is served

Morning program at SFO

1PM The FIRST Mega DO flight ever on a widebody goes SFO-IAH. The plane will be a 767-400 in the new config
    Layout and facts here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/767/400ER/default.aspx

6PM Arrival in Houston. Barbecue party upon arrival Sponsored by United and Milepoint

Thursday November 15th

530AM-615AM Breakfast at the Hyatt TBD in Houston
    730AM Departure from Houston to Chicago
    10AM Arriving in Chicago

United hosts us in Chicago. Think the previous Continental DO's in Houston on steroids

7PM United hosts reception at a Hyatt TBD in Chicago

Friday November 16th

7AM Breakfast at a Hyatt TBD in Chicago

United program

Official MegaDO program concludes at 430PM

7PM The Giddy Up Charity Affair at the Hyatt Regency Schaumburg (optional)

Saturday November 17th (OPTIONAL)

9AM Brunch at a Hyatt TBD in Chicago

Official Cowboy day in Chicago!
    - Line dancing lessons given by the famous CountryPat http://www.chicagocountry.com/
    - Riding lessons
    - We’ve rented a farm for the day – Learn how to milk a cow, feed chickens and be a part of the first SMD hoedown!http://www.wagnerfarm.org/
    - Lunch catered by famous Hackney’s. http://www.hackneys.net/
    - AND more
    - Sponsored by Hyatt Regency Schaumburg

The Charter

There will be 4 classes of Service

Business First -- 39 seats. Price per seat is 1999 USD all in
    Tommy Class. No person next to you -- guaranteed. (1-2-1 config in Economy Plus) Price per seat is 1599USD all in
    Economy Plus 2-3-2 seating with 36" pitch - 1249USD all in
    Economy Class (30 blocked seats for airlines, sponsors and press.) Price per seat is 999USD all in.

Miles miles miles

The flights are 2650 miles

United --

Economy -- 5000 PQM/RDM
    Tommy Class and Economy Plus -- 7500 PQM/RDM
    Business First -- 15000 PQM/RDM

You will also be awarded Elite bonus if you have United status on top the base miles above.

The miles will count as lifetime miles

Hotels Partner (Hyatt)

Info on hotel and promo to follow

Hyatt wants YOU to submit an idea on what the promo should be.

Please submit your thoughts to todd.tomlin at Hyatt dot com before June 15th

EUROPEAN PROGRAM (OPTIONAL)

Theme: Star Alliance is 15 years -- The strongest alliance welcomes the Future of flight.
    Sunday November 11th
    Late October Fest in at a lounge TBD at LAX before the first Mega Do flight on the brand, spanking new 747-8 featuring the new, fully flat Lufthansa Business Class. LAX-FRA,

Monday November 12th
    Program in Frankfurt (get a your of the brand new wing at FRA by Lufthansa Execs.) On to ZRH, reception at the Park Hyatt ZRH.

Tuesday November 13th
    Tuesday, Breakfast at 8AM, Swiss program in the AMs at ZRH airport, LX non stop to SFO.

Prices available in the announcement thread. Waitlist only available

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/smd-2012-official-announcement-thread.39412/

Official booking will open July 9th at the latest. We are hoping to open booking earlier, if we do, we'll notify everyone who has signed up for alerts on megado.com a week in advance before opening public booking.

If you have won a spot to book early, we'll be in touch with you when we are ready to take bookings
    So there you have it, folks!

2. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    New flash, posted June 29th

ECONOMY CLASS, Optional international itinerary instructions. Change of starting point for optional international itinerary.

In order to get the ball rolling, I will still drop a BIG bomb today and also Economy pricing is ready, so if you're planning on flying Economy, you can start your SMD adventure today.

Let's start from the beginning. PLEASE READ THIS POST THOROUGHLY

First of all, as noted by one of our observant members, LH is NOT doing the 747-8 from IAD in the winter. And I really want to have a party upstairs and also try the new LH biz. So the flight will NOT go out of IAD, but LAX. That's right, LAX.

On the return, we will fly Swiss non stop. We will have 100% of the biz cabin booked on this flight. There will NOT be any domestic add ons available. Sorry.

Here are the flights and prices for coach :

1 LAX LH 457 W 11NOV 1520 OK
    2 O FRA LH 1192 W 12NOV 1335 OK
    3 4 LX 038 W 13NOV 2 ZRHSFO 1305 1625 OK
    ZRH
    FARE F USD 427.00
    TX001 X USD 496.00YQ TX002 X USD 5.50YC TX003 X USD 16.70US
    TX004 X USD 16.70US TX005 X USD 5.00XA TX006 X USD 7.00XY
    TX007 X USD 2.50AY TX008 X USD 24.03RA TX009 X USD 7.98DE
    TX010 X USD 43.10CH TX011 X USD 4.50XF
    TOTAL USD 1056.01
    GRAND TOTAL USD 1056.01

Here's how the international ticketing will go down:

There will be a total of 35 coach tickets available at the prices above (there will also be 45 tickets in biz on Monday).

You cannot buy coach one way and business the other this time. Sorry. Plane is too small

If you purchase any one of these seats, you'll be eligible to pre-purchase a seat on the SMD charter. Please note that your preferred class on the charter might not be available

If you want any of these coach seats, please send an email to melinda@ftef.net. The first 35 people to send an email to Melinda, will get a spot.

You will shortly after receive instructions what LH needs to ticket you. You then have 48 hours to provide the information. If you fail to respond with your information before the end of the deadline, you will loose your spot.

You will then be ticketed by LH. After we get a confirmation that you are ticketed by LH, you will receive a PRIVATE link for you to secure a seat on the SMD charter. You then have 48 hours to book the SMD charter. If you fail to book withing 48 hours, you will loose your spot.

The ticketing will happen next week. If you're ticketed in coach, you CANNOT upgrade to biz later. If you are planning on being in biz, DON'T BOOK COACH AND DON"T SEND MELINDA AN EMAIL TILL BIZ BOOKING OPENS MONDAY

So let's begin. If you want a spot IN COACH, please send an email immediately to melinda@ftef.net

3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Status as of 1:03AM central July 2nd

There are 13 people one the wait list for the international optional itinerary. 28 out of 35 confirmed has sent us their information. Because of the weekend, we've extended the deadline to give us the information to Monday July 2nd at 10AM central.

At that time, we will clear whoever is on the wait list

We are expecting to get the price for business class for the international optional itinerary tomorrow.

When we have the confirmed pricing, we will send out a mass email 1 hour before we start taking reservations.

aptraveler likes this.
  4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    NEWS FLASH: AMEX MAY BE AN ISSUE

We've had two people have problems using AMEX during pre-sales. One of them is reporting that AMEX states the merchant account is not currently configured for AMEX. We've been working with our merchant provider who confirms all the AMEX stuff is loaded properly, but that still doesn't mean your AMEX card will work tomorrow.

Our recommendation is to have a backup card available.

When you get to Step 3 of the ordering process, only the fields shaded in red are required RIGHT NOW.

These include:

First Name
    Last Name
    Password
    Confirm Password
    Waiver Signature (Key in Your Passport)

While the fields in white are not required during registration, you won't be able to select a seat on the charter until all your info is completed. After you enter your e-mail and password, the system will create an account for you. You'll be able to log back in after initial registration to fill in anything else you missed.

A FEW FAQs for SMD4 (ALSO ADDED TO FIRST PAGE):

Q: Where do I go to register for StarMegaDO4?

A: http://megado.com/events/starmegado/

Q: I have a browser problem/my credit card doesn’t work/I’m getting some weird error message. What do I do?

A: The last MegaDO sold out in 17 minutes. So, please don’t expect the magic tech support fairy to weigh in during the 5 minutes you can hold a seat in your cart to fix everything. Have a spare browser/credit card ready and hold on tight!

Q: I didn’t get a seat. How do I get on the waitlist?

A: Send an e-mail to ed@milepoint.com. We’ll process people in the order they were added to the list.

Q: Am I required to stay at the Hyatt hotels for the domestic portion of SMD4?

A: Yes! This supports our sponsor and makes logistics easier for the group.

5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    giddy up again

6. IgorWasHere

IgorWasHere Member

Status Points:
    Guys, sorry for being a noob here but I am confused about the prices. Are these for the entire flight from SFO to Houston to Chicago or per leg?

Also, what are the hotel prices?

Thank you all. Sorry again.

7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uh, where do I sign up again?

Sent from my Nexus S using milepoint

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fare covers SFO-IAH-ORD and the other events in between, but not the hotels or positioning flights.

9. Griz Shel
    Original Member

Griz Shel Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can't go on the domestic program can you still sign up for the European program?

10. IgorWasHere

IgorWasHere Member

Status Points:
    OK! thats perfect! thank you very much for the reply. I assume "positioning flights" mean flights that I would take to meet folks in SFO (assuming I don't do the Euro leg) and a flight back home from ORD?

aptraveler and Minnesota Bruin like this.
  11. dealswelike

dealswelike Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. You need to still pay for the flights to SFO and from ORD.

12. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So we can get 5-15k PQMs but how many segments will this post as if any? My shorthaul flying says segments are good haha

13. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to confirm - no program on the short layover in FRA, right?

Minnesota Bruin likes this.
  14. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would assume that it would post as 2 EQS.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

15. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea! I'm so excited that the dates work for me!

Mr. Silver Springer likes this.
  16. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I"m sure this has been pointed out before but why not give Tommy Class the aisle seats in the center section of E+? For example:

A B - D E F - K L
    E+ E+ - T X T - E+ E+

It's a more efficient seating scheme and you can customize the total capacity by adjusting where Tommy Class ends and normal 2-3-2 E+ begins...

Bobtray and AC_Flyer like this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any idea when Lufthansa is going to announce the schedule change that sees the 748 (74H on the timetable) actually flying FRAIAD for those dates? The timetable has it as a 744 all winter:
    Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
    Code:
    Flight Timetable -- IAD-FRA for date: 20121111 at 00:00 on Lufthansa
    Carrier|Flight|From |To   |Dep. Time|Arr. Time|Schedule|Equipment|Duration|Exceptions|
    LH     |419   |IAD  |FRA  |17:55    |08:00+1  |1234567 |744      |8:05    |          |