SMD III Donates To Fallen Officer Fund-Mike Califano

Discussion in 'SMD3 (Star MegaDO #3)' started by Pizzaman, Dec 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Last month, Tommy and I got to share a special moment with the Califano family. Read more here about the tragedy that struck the Califano family earlier this year.

Michael Califano was a veteran police officer in Nassau County, and a beloved father of 3 sons and a deceased daughter. Michael and Jackie dealt with the pain of losing a child, which no parent should have to go through. Now, Jackie and her 3 sons Michael, Christopher and Andrew are learning to cope with the loss of Michael by remembering how great a father and husband he was.

Jackie, along with the help of Mike's fellow officers and numerous friends and family, have started The Michael J. Califano Memorial Fund. The fund was started to help provide for the three sons Michael leaves behind.

SMD III participants, through their incredible generosity during the event, made it possible for us to donate $2,000 to the fund. We delivered the check recently in a quiet lunch with the family in NYC. Below you'll find a few pictures and information on the fund. I'm horrible with pictures, so my apologies if they don't align correctly.

ETA: Having technical difficulties with the pictures. Please stand by while someone helps me move out of the stone age.

The Califano family
    Califano3.jpg

Califano1.jpg

A memorial to Michael Califano

Califano2.jpg

rggale, Minnesota Bruin and tommy777 like this.
  2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the donation was great, but I don't really see how SMD3 made this connection? Was there a personal connection there? Just wondering. (and please don't read anything else into my post.)

-David

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    David,

No reading anything else into your post. It's a good question. We learned of the Califano's story in the lead-up to SMDIII. While we don't have all the details in place, Milepoint is working on a program where we make smaller, periodic donations to worthy individuals and groups not necessarily connected to our community. This seemed like a great jumping off point. We hope to have more details soon on how members can get involved in efforts like this.

rggale likes this.
  4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ed,

Thanks for the explanation. That's great.

I was wondering partly because I grew up in Nassau Country, Long Island, and was wondering if we had another connection there.

-David

5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    We learned about this tragic story a few months back and after our Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund donation of over 22K, Lufthansa Help Alliance donation of about 4K and out Susan G Komen donation of 3K, we still had some cash left after all the bills were paid. As you all know, the SMDs and other Mega DOs are put together by the Frequent Traveler Education foundation, which also has other incomes. As Ed mentions above, milepoint and the FTEF have started a drive where we with cash, miles or points try to do something good that changes peoples life on a regular basis.

Randy will post more about this shortly.

Cheers

Minnesota Bruin, TAHKUCT and LIH Prem like this.