Smarter Travel gives Editor's Choice award for selling miles for .4 CPM

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by eponymous_coward, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smartertravel.com/travel...ew-frequent-flyer-development.html?id=7680666

I checked what the exchange rate for my US miles was: $100 in Paypal for
    24,118 miles. Whoop-de-doo.

So, maybe they could give a Lifetime Achievment in Extreme Frequent Flyer Value award because Delta has three levels of award travel that you could purchase with your SkyPesos™? :rolleyes:

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Tim's my partner in the original Mileage Pro book and we're likely to update that soon (good guy), but this credit could easily have gone to American Express Membership Rewards which years ago offered members to ability to convert into situations instead of cash. But I must scold Tim on misspelling the name of the AAdvantage program. You'd think that after 30 years we can get that right! Tim, it's "Double A".

As for $100 for nearly 25K miles. Strange as you might think that is, I've known several inexperienced members of frequent flyer programs over the years who cashed in that same number of miles for a ticket they could have bought (and earned miles for) for less than $100. One was an award during a fare sale to match Southwest fares ... 25K for a $39 ticket. But, they were happy, they got to use their miles.

Rule of thumb: "Money for nothing" is a Dire Straits song, not a frequent flyer strategy.

lin821 likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any other program out there that converts miles to actual cash? In spite of the horrible devaluation -- plus fees, plus whatever else might be involved -- if they are the first/only then they deserve some sort of recognition. I mean sure you can turn miles into magazines or gift cards or whatever, but if they're the only ones that let you get miles --> paypal --> your bank account --> out of an ATM, then that's gotta count for something. :)

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a terrible, terrible idea, but that doesn't stop it from being innovative -- to an extent.

Now if only they'd let you buy 25k miles for $100, now that would deserve all kinds of awards. :)

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not particularly innovative as American Express has permitted MR points to be used to pay off a statement for years now. And it is not particularly useful to consumers as the exchange rate is simply horrible. It is akin to saying that a loan shark's operations are admirable because they allow folks to borrow money without accounting for the fact that the interest rates are usurious. The fact that points.com charges even such a wide range amongst the three partners they do have (120K for $100 on US to 17K-ish for $100 on AC) is an indication that the points are not moving towards being a proper currency but that Points.com is abusing its members.

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exluding the value of my time, this would be a small profit over my out of pocket costs for the US Grand Slam. I will not be taking that deal though.