Smart Chip Technology - Marriott Rewards Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by royce242, Nov 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok so I received my new Marriott Rewards credit card today with "Smart Chip Technology". I've searched this message board and checked out the Chase CC website and am still trying to find an answer to a simple question....

What is so special about this Smart Chip Technology??

Chase's website only says this....

Chip and Signature Technology
    Embedded chip technology allows you to use your card for chip-based purchases in Europe and beyond, while still allowing you to use your card as you do at home. This new feature provides additional convenience and security when traveling abroad.

Upon checking the few past posts on here about SC Technology, I gather that the only real advantage of having a chip in the card is that it will work at CC terminals in Europe which "sometimes" ONLY accept chip cards?

Is this in fact the main advantage of having a chip? So that you can use it everywhere in Europe?

Also, how does this chip provide, "security when traveling abroad"? What exactly about the chip allows my transactions to be safer?

I dunno. I just don't get it.

P.S. - as a side note, the Marriott Rewards card is actually made of metal or something....much heavier and interesting to carry. Unfortunately the allure of the metal is taken away by the botched "Marriott Rewards" stamp on the card. It actually looks rather cheap.

What other CC's are made out of metal besides the VISA Black?

Ok, no more questions from me! I turned one question into 4.

Thanks folks in advance for your kind insight!

2. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah did some looking and the following cards are made of metal...

Amex Centurion
    Visa Black
    Chase Sapphire Preferred
    Chase United Club
    Chase Marriott Premier
    JP Morgan Palladium
    JP Morgan Ritz Carlton

For those of you who care, the Marriott card has the lowest annual fee of all metal cards...$85.

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically. If you're in Europe and the cashier won't take a mag-stripe only card and won't know/care that Visa or Mastercard or American Express says he has to, you're up a creek without a chip card.

Note that most chip cards in the US are chip & sign, as opposed to chip & PIN. If you run into an unattended kiosk (gas station, train ticket machine, for example) you may still be SOL because most of them seem to require chip & PIN. Chip & sign should be good enough for most face to face transactions.

traveltoomuch, zphelj and MSYgirl like this.
  4. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience jives with Letterboys comments. Having chip and signature makes purchases go a whole lot smoother and I've never had a problem in any face to face transaction. Well worth having one or two if traveling abroad.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And with regards to the safety aspect, it is harder to copy a chip than the magnetic strip .... of course, as long as the card also has a strip, that can still be copied and the fake cards printed for abuse in areas where the strip is still the norm.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you get a marriott CC with Chip and Pin if you ask?

7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chip and PIN is a necessity here in England. Since I stay in the same area every time I visit, which averages one-two months 4x/year, the local store's manager had to approve my use of a magnetic strip card and tell the store associates how to use it (for future reference, they have to press the EFT/Electronic Funds Transfer button then swipe the card). ATMs work with the regular US magnetic cards, but store purchases depend on the machine. When I'm going further away from my place, I withdraw cash to take with me.

For instance, ASDA self checkout will not accept my magnetic card, so I have to use my UK credit card or go to a cashier. As others have previously mentioned, there may be other self checkouts which will not accept your card unless an employee is there to help you. In almost all instances of telling them what button to push then swipe the card, they look at me like I'm an alien. Most have no experience with swipe-only cards, so be prepared with instructions. Or get cash instead. :p

A note of warning: If you choose to use your bank debit/credit card, notify the bank in advance before you travel - then double check with a separate phone call that the note is on your account. Even though I notified my bank on my first trip over, an ATM machine ate my card and refused to give it back. Luckily I had a backup card and just transferred funds until I got home, but if you're coming over with only one card - have a backup plan.

8. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    *resist the temptation to comment*

JoeCortez, Sammich and MSYgirl like this.
  9. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is an extensive FT thread on this topic and related stuff that includes two resources you may find helpful: a wiki primer on EMV cards and a link to a worksheet that is as comprehensive and complete a list of all EMV cards available in the US as you will find:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-available-today-chip-pin-chip-signature.html

Happy reading

LETTERBOY likes this.