Smallest Advisable Checked Item

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Roaddoggin, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey all,

I like to travel with a swiss army knife, which means checking a bag. If it weren't for the knife, I'd never check luggage unless I was transporting bulky sporting equipment. I have to check the knife, but I'd rather not check the rest of my stuff.

My question is, what is the smallest advisable checked item? I was looking at Pelican Micro Cases in the 1000 series, but I worry that they'll fall behind a belt and never be seen again. Then I got to looking at the 1100 series, and wonder if even they are too small. Has anyone got any experience, or any airline staff on here have any insight to offer?

A tangential follow-up question... do you have to actually have to be carrying a gun to get the sort of personalized screening and bag handling you get when traveling with a firearm? I'd love to go through this process without a weapon.

Thanks in advance!

2. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know people who ship cargo and have done boxes as small as 4x6x8" the cheaper cargo rates basically fly as checked luggage. I have tempted to do this a few times myself as some rates are fairly cheap for same day service and overnight service, but the recipient didn't live close enough to an airport to make it feasible.

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to consider something like a Dopp Kit that you could lock. Small enough to get the job done but large enough to make it visible.

4. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I'm told a flare gun or starter pistol gets the same treatment.

anileze likes this.